SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got an S60 T6 R-D a month ago, love it, still figuring a few things out with the car. Owners manual isn't exactly light reading...not that it's overly complicated, just figuring what options your car does and does not have seems to be the trick.

Anyway, for the bending headlights...nice feature, really useful on twisties, not needed in parking lots and around town. I'd rather not wear parts out driving around town. I can electronically disable it in the MyCar menu...but every time I start the car back up, the ABL is back to being enabled again. :mad: Is there a way to get it to lock what I set?

Also regarding daytime running lights...I don't so much need the actual headlights on; but the 'fang' fluorescent lights and amber front lights that come on with lights in park setting would be nice as DRLs. All I've found is the DRL toggle on and off (which, oddly unlike the above ABL, stays locked to how I set it...), but is there any way to have the DRLs be as I described? Basically something like park setting, but without the taillights and staying on after the car is shut off would be nice.

Pretty amazing how far Volvos have come from my '90 245!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
So I got an S60 T6 R-D a month ago, love it, still figuring a few things out with the car. Owners manual isn't exactly light reading...not that it's overly complicated, just figuring what options your car does and does not have seems to be the trick.

Anyway, for the bending headlights...nice feature, really useful on twisties, not needed in parking lots and around town. I'd rather not wear parts out driving around town. I can electronically disable it in the MyCar menu...but every time I start the car back up, the ABL is back to being enabled again. :mad: Is there a way to get it to lock what I set?

Also regarding daytime running lights...I don't so much need the actual headlights on; but the 'fang' fluorescent lights and amber front lights that come on with lights in park setting would be nice as DRLs. All I've found is the DRL toggle on and off (which, oddly unlike the above ABL, stays locked to how I set it...), but is there any way to have the DRLs be as I described? Basically something like park setting, but without the taillights and staying on after the car is shut off would be nice.

Pretty amazing how far Volvos have come from my '90 245!
I beleive the system does not work at speeds below 15kph, you can check in your manual.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Regarding the lights, as far as I've been able to understand it, it's an all or nothing system. All the lights are on, or all the lights are off. This is the way it's apparently done in Sweden, where all cars must have all their lights on day or night. I think the 2013's now have a light sensing automatic feature, but my 2012 does not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I beleive the system does not work at speeds below 15kph, you can check in your manual.
It actually does, notice it going through parking lots all the time. Really not that big an issue, it's just why have the de-select option if the car won't ever keep that setting saved?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It actually does, notice it going through parking lots all the time. Really not that big an issue, it's just why have the de-select option if the car won't ever keep that setting saved?
Sounds like more quirky software to me. I see no reason to re-enable this system automatically if it was turned off by the owner. I believe DSTC will reenable automatically too but that I can understand.

Not sure about the 2013's but you can run with just running lights in the 2012's if you disable DRLs. They will not be automatic though.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
The 2013 online owner's manual, on page 93, describes two lighting panels, one with an Auto position and one without. I thought auto was standard in 2013. Does anyone know for sure? I just ordered my car and I don't want any omissions.

[Edit] It looks like "Auto" pertains to Active High Beam and/or Tunnel Detection. Page 93 also says that with the light switch in position 0 you can toggle between high beam and low beam, hinting that position 0 is automatic. Still, I'd appreciate some confirmation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My Take On This

The 2013 online owner's manual, on page 93, describes two lighting panels, one with an Auto position and one without. I thought auto was standard in 2013. Does anyone know for sure? I just ordered my car and I don't want any omissions.

[Edit] It looks like "Auto" pertains to Active High Beam and/or Tunnel Detection. Page 93 also says that with the light switch in position 0 you can toggle between high beam and low beam, hinting that position 0 is automatic. Still, I'd appreciate some confirmation.
I have a 2013 S60 with auto bending lights. I love the car, but the daytime running lights/headlight setup is confusing. Here is my input.

If you switch to O you have no DRL or any type of lights.

The next selection is for parking lights, which is a great look and wish it was the DRL. It also turns on the tail lights. Only downside, they don't turn off automatically and, if you forget to turn them off manually when you stop the car, they stay on. You do not get a warning chime to remind you they are on when you open the door.

The next 2 positions, Auto and O, turn on the full headlights and tail lights. They do turn off automatically when you stop the car. The Auto position turns on and dims the high beams automatically as conditions warrant. In the O position, you can turn on the high beams manually.

So, Volvo does not employ DRL as I've been used to them in Toyotas and Subarus.

BTW, the active bending lights are a worthwhile option.

Hope this adds some clarity to the issue.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm not asking about DRL, just wondering if, in position 0, plain old headlights and taillights will come on with no operator action when it gets dark.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I'm not asking about DRL, just wondering if, in position 0, plain old headlights and taillights will come on with no operator action when it gets dark.
Not on the 2012's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts