SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C30 concept = C30 give or take a few minor details.

Body kit will be available as an option. Can be selected colors so two tone is possible. Don't know which colors. If ordered without the body kit the trim will be black plastic, more or less like the previous XC90 trim. The "White" of the concept will be available on the production version.

Engine's available for the C30,

Gasoline,
1.6 4 cylinder
2.0 4 cylinder
2.4i 5 cylinder 170 HP
T5 5 cylinder 220 HP

Diesels,
D5 180 HP

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Re: Some global C30 info (Johann)

Any info on if AWD will be offered.

I have to admit that I'm disappointed.

220 bhp is a good offering but compared to the competition, it falls flat.

I had hoped that the car would be able to hold its own against the A3 and the R32.

Modified by Shomare at 8:25 AM 4-24-2006

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Some global C30 info (Shomare)

So far no indication of AWD. All models will use the same suspension setup regardles of engine choice so I have been told.
The production version will use round exhaust pipe's instead of the triangular ones.
Car apparently is a lot wider than the S40.

Also for now it looks like the car will be at the, Dutch, dealer before the end of this year instead of the earlier forecasted Februari '07.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote, originally posted by Shomare »
Thanks for the info.

Question is, why would I shell out for the C30 when the Mazda offers more powere for less

Design?

From what I have been told the details must be awesome. Also some slight interior changes compared to the S40 make it appear roomier although the seats are the same as the S40.

I also believe the top engine should be stronger or same power but HPT instead leaving room for tuning and aftermarket. I know this subject isn't discussable with Volvo but unavoidable.
I am one of those who believe very strongly that this is what makes a lot of the sales numbers of the stronger Volvo variants. Not the fact that the engine has 220 or 260 HP but the fact that for example a 260 T5 can be tuned to 300+ and perform solid without fear for engine damage for a long time. But you will Never hear this from a dealer.

Why do you think the D5 is so popular? Because people are buying a near 200 or over 200 bhp diesel, not a 163 or 185 HP diesel. Customers walk in with these numbers already in mind. The power gain is the sole deal maker.

The more Volvo is blocking tuning, the more customers will start to walk. Volvo doesn't see it, they will feel it eventually..

Unless they come up with engine's producing these numbers from factory..

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Johann »

Design?

Yes, that is a selling point but not enough of a difference that I'd be willing to pay for the Volvo name.

Unless they come up with engine's producing these numbers from factory..

I want out of the box performance. I'd done tunning and running the risk of having my warranty voided.

260 bhp is what is needed to be competitive even in Fords own family not to mention the other offerings out there.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (lvertvel)

Quote, originally posted by lvertvel »
The word goes around that the T5 engine 'll be upgraded to 400 Nm torque in the C30.
D5 that is.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Given AWD is on the S40 & V50 then I'd be surprised if its not on the C30.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: (Johann)

On the matter raised by Johann and Shomare in their earlier posts with Volvo "head in the sand" denial of tuning capability .... would there not be room for a compromise with a Volvo "approved" after-market tuning upgrade which would not invalidate the factory warranty ?
Some years ago I enjoyed one of the early BMW 325 cars which had the head, exhaust and chip etc modification which took engine output from 120kW to 147kW (this was in 1988) and did not invalidate the manufacturers warranty. Schnitzer were one of two tuning houses which had BMW approval to do such engine mods.
Would Volvo consider such an association or does it already exist in the form of the Evolve-VCNA collaboration we saw in the SEMA (?) show last year.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: (Gordon)

It doesn't appear that Volvo would ever approve of such a relationship.

Honestly, they are a little schitzo on this topic.
They will commision Evolve or IPD to do a show car, but won't embrace customer tuning on regular cars.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts

As it appears the C30 is more like the C70 and less S40. C70 also doesn't come with AWD.

In the case of the C70 the reason is structural. On the C30 it is probably a question of cost.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (VolvoMax)

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »

In the case of the C70 the reason is structural. On the C30 it is probably a question of cost.

It appears the whole front part of the C30 is more identical to the C instead of the S/V.
Maybe the whole bottom plate of the C70 is being used instead of the S/V. This would also explain why the C30 is roomier in the rear compared to the S/V...

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts

I'd find that acceptable.

"If" Volvo allowed manufacturer approved, performance enhancing modifications to the car, that would not void the warrantee I'd be more inclined to order a C30 and spec it out the way I want.

Been down the performance enhancement path before and found that dealerships are too quick to accuse and blame any and all modifications for any and all mechanical failures that may occur.

When it happens, it's your word against theirs and they ALWAYS win.

As such, I'm not willing to take that risk without manufacturer approved modifications.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts

It appears the whole front part of the C30 is more identical to the C instead of the S/V.
Maybe the whole bottom plate of the C70 is being used instead of the S/V. This would also explain why the C30 is roomier in the rear compared to the S/V...

Why would the C30 need the C70's bottom bracing?
It is possible to widen a platform, but enough to need extra bracing?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Re: (VolvoMax)

220 hp is plenty for me. What I can't stand is all of this waiting. September now just to see the production version, then who knows when it'll actually be on showroom floors. I need a new car now and I've waited so long already from rumors to pre-concepts to official concepts that I don't know if I'll still be on the market come release time.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Shomare »
Thanks for the info.

Question is, why would I shell out for the C30 when the Mazda offers more powere for less

Design, brand loyalty, the badge, safety, exclusivity, and so on and so forth. Whatever the reason, people will buy it. Why buy an Audi when you can get a VW? It's a valid question, but everybody has a different answer to it.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts

I'm not a badge snob.

What had been intriguing was that the C30 seemed to be offering the whole package.

Style, safety, and performance. Well two out of three isn't too bad.

Being an automotive enthusiast, the third wish is an imperative.

I can't be content sitting there at a light in my stylish, safe car knowing that when the light goes green, it'll be exposed for the poser it is.

If Volvo doesn't equip it with enough power to keep pace with the likes of the competition I'd have to pass.

Which is not to say that it's a "bad" car, just not the car I'd want to own.

Modified by Shomare at 7:00 AM 5-2-2006

·
Registered
406 Posts

How is 220 hp poserish?? Especially if the C30 is as light as it is small. From the looks of it, I can't imagine it's over 3000 lbs?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts