SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Some electrical problems… - S80 2007

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  albertj 
#1 ·
Hi

I recently bought a Volvo S80II MY07 (Type AS) D5 2.4L.
The overall condition is very good, but there are some electrical things that seems to behave weird.
I don‘t want to open up multiple threads, so I will try to explain all the „problems“ here.

-When I activate „automatic door locking“ and start driving around, the doors are locking (which is right obviously)
When I then turn off the engine and open my door to get out, I need to pull the door handle two times to open it up (one time for unlocking and one time for opening) and then only the drivers door will unlock and all other doors still stay closed?! This is „alright“ for me and maybe the right behaviour, but when I want to lock the car from outside with my transponder now, the mirrors won‘t fold in (yes, the function is enabled)
I noticed that they don‘t fold in, because the rest of the doors are still locked. So I have to unlock the car and then lock the car again everytime with my transponder, to let the mirrors fold back in. Is this the right behavior? When I uncheck „automatic door locking“ everything works fine, but I want to use this feature.

-Nearly everytime I unlock my car from outside with my transponder, the electrical driver seat moves a few centimeters in the direction of the steering wheel. I saved my seat position to bank 1, 2 and 3 multiple times, but that didn‘t help. Sometimes it overwrites the savings too. I can‘t figure out when exactly this happens. I first thought that this has something to do with the rear doors, so that passengers can get in more easily, but that‘s not the case. I switched the transponder battery too, but that didn‘t help.

-Everytime I power on my RTI MMM2 it forgets all the settings I did (map view, voice, theme, color etc.). But it doesn‘t forget my saved locations or addresses. I updated the RTI to the newest software version. This seemed to fix the problem for 1-2 months but now it still forgets all the settings again.

So because these problems are all electrical problems, I tried to switch my main battery to a newer (and bigger one) too. I threw in a Exide EA1000 100Ah 900A battery.
VIDA and VDASH says I have 11,9V-12V when I go in key position II (without starting the engine!). This looks a bit low to me, or is this voltage normal? My old 95Ah had the same voltage…..
I also went to Volvo to update my modules via the Volvo 2.0 Service. They told me that the car will decide for it‘s own, which modules will get updated and which won‘t.
Can somebody please clear me up?
Thanks in advance!

Please apologize my english, I‘m from germany :)

See less See more
#3 ·
I just bought a 2009 S80 V8, so I can't be *that much help. I will make small and quick comments.

1) whether the battery is new or not, be sure it is charged. Buy a charger - one of the newer types that "knows" how to handle both conventional and AGM batteries would probably be a good idea. I got one of these some years ago: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...arger-with-40-amp-engine-start-bc15bs-1637686 -- it is not the most powerful unit or anything but for me it works great. I mention this because I had some gremlins as well which seem to have gone away after I disconnected the battery, charged it, then ran the "recondition' cycle on it overnight. Battery now sits at 12.4V sitting by itself.

2) You probably need a VIDA/DICE setup to check the modules, notably the CEM, in your car. And read the fault codes that are not OBDII (and therefore don't light the 'check engine' warning).

3) IF you have a little time on your hands, find and clean all the engine/electronics grounds. (I cleaned the ones at my battery and coated them with a little NoAlOX, a conductive grease intended for preventing corrosion on aluminum wire. Well, turns out it generally prevents corrosion on metal electrical connectors. +1 for me!
4) About your door lock/mirror behavior, I wonder if you have a door sensor that's not working. VIDA/DiCE would help you tell.

Albertj

#4 ·
Hi, thanks for getting in touch with me! Finally I can talk with someone, who has a S80 too :D

1) whether the battery is new or not, be sure it is charged. Buy a charger - one of the newer types that "knows" how to handle both conventional and AGM batteries would probably be a good idea. I got one of these some years ago: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...arger-with-40-amp-engine-start-bc15bs-1637686 -- it is not the most powerful unit or anything but for me it works great. I mention this because I had some gremlins as well which seem to have gone away after I disconnected the battery, charged it, then ran the "recondition' cycle on it overnight. Battery now sits at 12.4V sitting by itself.
Right after the new battery arrived, I charged it with a battery charger until the charger told me the new battery is full. Can you please explain what you mean with „recondition“ cycle? I heard on newer Volvo models you have to tell the car, that you have a new battery. But I couldn‘t find that option on VIDA, so I am sure my S80 don‘t need that. Did you measure the voltage on the pins at the battery with a multimeter or via VIDA/VDASH too?

2) You probably need a VIDA/DICE setup to check the modules, notably the CEM, in your car. And read the fault codes that are not OBDII (and therefore don't light the 'check engine' warning).
I have VIDA and VDASH installed and did it a fault code run multiple times. Both had no relevant fault codes.

4) About your door lock/mirror behavior, I wonder if you have a door sensor that's not working. VIDA/DiCE would help you tell.
Good point! But I think my sensors are OK. I think (like you said) VIDA/VDASH will tell me, and also my cluster unit would tell me. Like I said above, it works if I disable „automatic door locking“.
Does your mirror fold option behave differently? Can you please try, when you enable „automatic door locking“, drive around alone so the doors are locking and then get out and lock the door, if the mirrors are folding in?
Do you need to pull the door handle also two times, when the doors are locked and you want to get out? Thanks!!

Cheers
Simon

#5 ·
By "recondition" cycle I merely mean the battery charger contains a microprocessor that times and modulates a series of electrical pulses over an extended period of time (may be as much as a full day) to break up lead sulphate that forms in car batteries. The thing that floors me is that the electrical "reconditioning" process actually works at all.

About the door lock and mirror behavior, when I first got the car the automatic locks worked fine and when I'd get out and lock the door the mirrors would fold in. And yes, pull handle twice to unlock the door. Lots of cars with automatic locking require 2 pulls. The car will accept settings that modify the behavior of some features - please see the owner's manual. If you have no owner's manual, you will easily find one on-line (Volvo official site, certain Volvo dealers, couple other places) and I think they even let you download it. Word to the wise: It may be cheaper to buy a replacement printed manual from Volvo than to print it yourself for most people, ha ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.