SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just bought a 2009 S80 V8, so I can't be *that much help. I will make small and quick comments.

1) whether the battery is new or not, be sure it is charged. Buy a charger - one of the newer types that "knows" how to handle both conventional and AGM batteries would probably be a good idea. I got one of these some years ago: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...arger-with-40-amp-engine-start-bc15bs-1637686 -- it is not the most powerful unit or anything but for me it works great. I mention this because I had some gremlins as well which seem to have gone away after I disconnected the battery, charged it, then ran the "recondition' cycle on it overnight. Battery now sits at 12.4V sitting by itself.

2) You probably need a VIDA/DICE setup to check the modules, notably the CEM, in your car. And read the fault codes that are not OBDII (and therefore don't light the 'check engine' warning).

3) IF you have a little time on your hands, find and clean all the engine/electronics grounds. (I cleaned the ones at my battery and coated them with a little NoAlOX, a conductive grease intended for preventing corrosion on aluminum wire. Well, turns out it generally prevents corrosion on metal electrical connectors. +1 for me!
4) About your door lock/mirror behavior, I wonder if you have a door sensor that's not working. VIDA/DiCE would help you tell.

Albertj

·
Registered
73 Posts
By "recondition" cycle I merely mean the battery charger contains a microprocessor that times and modulates a series of electrical pulses over an extended period of time (may be as much as a full day) to break up lead sulphate that forms in car batteries. The thing that floors me is that the electrical "reconditioning" process actually works at all.

About the door lock and mirror behavior, when I first got the car the automatic locks worked fine and when I'd get out and lock the door the mirrors would fold in. And yes, pull handle twice to unlock the door. Lots of cars with automatic locking require 2 pulls. The car will accept settings that modify the behavior of some features - please see the owner's manual. If you have no owner's manual, you will easily find one on-line (Volvo official site, certain Volvo dealers, couple other places) and I think they even let you download it. Word to the wise: It may be cheaper to buy a replacement printed manual from Volvo than to print it yourself for most people, ha ha.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts