SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2018 T6 Inscription was affected by the wiper nut recall, it actually gouged out a piece of my hood! Took advantage of Volvo Valet and had my dealer (Stamford Volvo in CT) drop me a loaner and took my car to be fixed.

The loaner was a grey 2020 XC60 Momentum. Some random observations:
  • Sensus is noticeably faster.
  • The car was WAYYY quieter inside. Even my 11 year old noticed. Not sure if it was the 19s vs 20 wheels, the T5 vs T6 or just added sound insulation between 2018 & 2020.
  • I had to take a 140 mile round trip for work. I am so used to driving with pilot assist that just have old school cruise control was very annoying.
  • T5 vs T6. Obviously the T5 lacks a bit of the T6 punch but i didn’t find it lacking overall.
  • The seats. This is my bigger pet peeve of my car. I just don’t find the non-lux package seats that comfortable, especially coming from the V60CC sport seats I had in my 2015. This loaner, being a momentum had the base seats and I found them much more comfortable and softer. Did anything change?
  • I have the B&W sound system in my car and this had the base. Noticeable difference but i wouldn’t go out of my way for B&W next time, i’m sure the HK is just fine.
  • Volvo valet: first time using it and it’s great.
  • My lease is up in 10 months, 4 if I take advantage of a lease pull ahead. I’m really not sure where I want to go next. I MUST spend less per month this time around. Thinking about maybe an xc40 or v60cc again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So my 2018 T6 Inscription was affected by the wiper nut recall, it actually gouged out a piece of my hood! Took advantage of Volvo Valet and had my dealer (Stamford Volvo in CT) drop me a loaner and took my car to be fixed.

• The car was WAYYY quieter inside. Even my 11 year old noticed. Not sure if it was the 19s vs 20 wheels, the T5 vs T6 or just added sound insulation between 2018 & 2020.
  • I had to take a 140 mile round trip for work. I am so used to driving with pilot assist that just have old school cruise control was very annoying.
  • T5 vs T6. Obviously the T5 lacks a bit of the T6 punch but i didn’t find it lacking overall.
  • The seats. This is my bigger pet peeve of my car. I just don’t find the non-lux package seats that comfortable, especially coming from the V60CC sport seats I had in my 2015. This loaner, being a momentum had the base seats and I found them much more comfortable and softer. Did anything change?
  • I have the B&W sound system in my car and this had the base. Noticeable difference but i wouldn’t go out of my way for B&W next time, i’m sure the HK is just fine.
  • Volvo valet: first time using it and it’s great.
  • My lease is up in 10 months, 4 if I take advantage of a lease pull ahead. I’m really not sure where I want to go next. I MUST spend less per month this time around. Thinking about maybe an xc40 or v60cc again.
What seats do you have in your 2018? I am considering a 2021 T5 Inscription which will have the ventilated seats with nappa leather. I like the extra adjustments in the Inscription (i.e. 4-way lumbar and thigh extension). I find the seats firm but supportive.

Also - how do you like the ride living in the NE?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What seats do you have in your 2018? I am considering a 2021 T5 Inscription which will have the ventilated seats with nappa leather. I like the extra adjustments in the Inscription (i.e. 4-way lumbar and thigh extension). I find the seats firm but supportive.

Also - how do you like the ride living in the NE?
I have the "regular" seats in my inscription and for whatever reason, felt the "regular" seats of the 2020 momentum were more comfortable. Did they change in anyway between the MYs 2018 & 2020? The ride is what it is living in the NE I guess, yeah when we travel to Florida it's softer but what choice do I have? haha.

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
I am guessing that much of the interior sound difference is attributable to lower profile worn tires on your car which is exacerbated by the shape and size of a CUV's cabin and other things like a glass roof that doesn't absorb sound.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have the "regular" seats in my inscription and for whatever reason, felt the "regular" seats of the 2020 momentum were more comfortable. Did they change in anyway between the MYs 2018 & 2020? The ride is what it is living in the NE I guess, yeah when we travel to Florida it's softer but what choice do I have? haha.
The seats didn't change at all. The ventilated seats are supposedly a bit harder (although I never noticed when I drove loaners). Otherwise, the momentum seats should be identical beyond missing the 4 way lumbar (the big diff to me).

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

• Maybe that model had laminated glass
    Although I do not understand why the surcharge for this option is 970EUR, with other manufacturers the price is around 200-250EUR

[video]https://esd.volvocars.com/imageweb/5dcc9bb0-d128-4e19-abcb-43ee1931318f.mp4[/video]

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just drove the 2020 today, and I can also confirm it's CONSIDERABLY quieter than my 2018. The 'rattle' at idle and the 'growl' under acceleration are gone and the cabin experience seems a lot quieter as a result. Sadly, if I upgraded my car again my wife would kill me.:nono:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maybe that model had laminated glass
Although I do not understand why the surcharge for this option is 970EUR, with other manufacturers the price is around 200-250EUR

[video]https://esd.volvocars.com/imageweb/5dcc9bb0-d128-4e19-abcb-43ee1931318f.mp4[/video]
Unfortunately laminated side windows aren't available in the U.S., not even as an option... Af far as I know we only get laminated front windshield and sunroof as standard

·
Registered
22 Posts
I came from Mercedes SUV's and have a 2008 C30 T5. The C30 is Mercedes level quiet, and my 2019 XC60 R Design (with 21 inch wheel option) is comparatively very noisy. I am considering having a body shop line it with sound dampening, especially in the rear. Dynamat or something like that has to fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just drove the 2020 today, and I can also confirm it's CONSIDERABLY quieter than my 2018. The 'rattle' at idle and the 'growl' under acceleration are gone and the cabin experience seems a lot quieter as a result. Sadly, if I upgraded my car again my wife would kill me.:nono:
Just picked up a xc60 momentum t6 the idle noise is minimal but the growl under acceleration is still there. soundwise T5 in the xc40 was much more pleasant than T6 imo. all in all pretty quiet cabin even highway cruising speeds

·
Registered
1 Posts
Production Updates

Just picked up a xc60 momentum t6 the idle noise is minimal but the growl under acceleration is still there. soundwise T5 in the xc40 was much more pleasant than T6 imo. all in all pretty quiet cabin even highway cruising speeds
Hello

Volvo for the most part is always making changes to their production as the year progresses. You just never know unless you have a the list as below.

Have a great day.
Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't speak for 2018 but I saw no differences between 2019 and 2020 on the identical build (same tires, etc.). I somehow doubt Volvo would improve noise insulation in the same generation car. The only reason why I got 2019 was due to power foldable rear seats, an option that was removed in 2020.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I somehow doubt Volvo would improve noise insulation in the same generation car.
I don't think it's debatable that they have improved the sound deadening. Just look at the decibel levels of a 2016 compared to a 2020.....it's significantly less. It's been documented in a number of car reviews. Since the launch of the 60-series cars those cars have always been class-leading in low cabin noise, and it's clear Volvo upgraded the XC90 in a similar way. It was a frequent complaint, and Volvo addressed it. If you delve into the parts book you can see many of the part numbers for components that serve as sound deadening have updated part numbers. Almost all of them. I think that's a clear sign of the change. In comparison, part numbers to similar components on a S60 do not have any superseded part numbers...a sign of the high-level sound deadening materials used from the onset of production.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Regarding the noise issue. I had previously narrowed down the noise in the cabin during idle (T5) (only seemed to happen when the engine was warm) to the upper torque arm. On the drivers side it was hitting 52db when idle. Having noticed the new 2020/21 B5 model is quieter I took at look under the hood and low and behold the upper torque arm has changed design. I had volvo order me one of the new ones and fitted it today. Before fitting I was getting 50db (I'd fitted a second vibration damper to bring the noise down a bit). After fitting I am now getting 48db even with a single damper. For those interested here's a picture of the old and new torque arm. You can see the design and size has changed significantly, but it still fits into the same mount. Please note though, that this didn't make much difference to the engine growl under acceleration. I think maybe the electric motor may be taking some strain off the ICE that may be reducing that sound; or maybe it's related to one of the other mounts (the position of them makes it harder to check if the design has changed).

Just FYI, the noise measurements were taken just above the dashboard on the drivers side, so true cabin noise may be a touch quieter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think it's debatable that they have improved the sound deadening. Just look at the decibel levels of a 2016 compared to a 2020.....it's significantly less. It's been documented in a number of car reviews. Since the launch of the 60-series cars those cars have always been class-leading in low cabin noise, and it's clear Volvo upgraded the XC90 in a similar way. It was a frequent complaint, and Volvo addressed it. If you delve into the parts book you can see many of the part numbers for components that serve as sound deadening have updated part numbers. Almost all of them. I think that's a clear sign of the change. In comparison, part numbers to similar components on a S60 do not have any superseded part numbers...a sign of the high-level sound deadening materials used from the onset of production.
2016 and 2020 XC60 are different generations.

Nevertheless, I agree that it's not unprecedented for car companies to improve noise insulation within a generation. For example, Mazda has done it on the CX-5.

·
Registered
632 Posts
2016 and 2020 XC60 are different generations.

Nevertheless, I agree that it's not unprecedented for car companies to improve noise insulation within a generation. For example, Mazda has done it on the CX-5.
Didn't that happen with a model refresh though? The XC60 has only had super minor changes since year 1.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts