SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a solution for the rubber that flakes off of the radio knobs? It looks terrible and is a disappointment in such a nice car. I've looked around the net and haven't come across any replacements. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Re: Solution for radio knobs? (bawkus)

if you brush them all off... then they just look like regular hard plastic knobs and not so unsightly..

i know some people here managed to find a shop to do those circular aluminium rings, dont have the details offhand tho.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: Solution for radio knobs? (sanatarium)

Quote, originally posted by sanatarium »
you can replace the knobs. heico2.4i discovered this

nah, this was known years ago, but the information got lost. I wish I copied the picture.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=63780

The tool Volvo uses to take the knobs off is a small piece of metal with a hook at the end. You can easily fab this yourself using something small enough to slide in, hook it, and pull the knobs off.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I remember some people having luck with getting the dealer to swap them for new ones on warranty. I was able to do this as well.

If you have any left, or even if you are just out of it, try talking to the dealer or corporate. You may luck out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty with no problem. I do wish they were different material. I tried to get the dealer to switch them for the new style but I couldn't.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Re: (ncS60)

Yeah it seems that we're stuck with them replacing things with the same year. I tried both times I got a new CD player under warranty to get one with an aux in, and got shut down both times. I even asked if I could pay the difference, and phoned and asked corporate. No dice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Solution for radio knobs? (bawkus)

If you're willing to do minor disassembly/assembly, I pulled off my center console, tore it apart, and then used some "Goo Gone" to remove the flaking rubber.

There are step by step instructions on the volvo online repair manual. Let me know if you're interested and I'll find the link.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Re: Solution for radio knobs? (agelmers)

I have a set of replacement knobs but I have been waiting for the original ones to get really bad. Also, I haven't figured out how to get them off yet.
Stan

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
would be interested in a part# too... I went to my stealership and they said the aluminium ones couldn't be ordered separately...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was told the new style couldn't be installed at all. That I need to change the whole thing in order to change to the new-style knobs.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Re: (Atrail)

Quote, originally posted by Atrail »
I took mine into Volvo Fort Worth and they replaced them for free (37K)

you got the aluminium ones?
I went to the dealer while still under warranty, and all I got was the plastic ones...
but those are worn out the second time now...

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Re: (Vash13)

No my replacements are all black rubberized. The word I got is that the chrome ones will not fit and are not available. The chrome looks better bit IMO they don't feel as well when you use them.

I tried to get the dealer to replace mine under warranty and they said that it was not covered.

I'll dig up the part # when I get a chance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.