SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Do you Agree my Contract is Unlimited for Brakes, Rotors, and Wipers based upon the terms specificed

• Yes, I agree the Plan is Unlimited

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I think you are reading too deep into the contract

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes, I agree the Plan is Unlimited and a Consumer Complaint with the Attorney General is warranted.

Votes: 3 42.9%
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Final Thoughts:

Pre 2018 was the perfect time for a consumer to pick up a Volvo. The Prepaid Maintenance Plans had no Limits (Brakes / Rotors / Pads / Wipers). These Plans Retailed for around $3700. However, running the math, it seems Volvo may have been to generous at this price point. Below is the retail prices of each service from one of the dealers in the area.

An approximate total on a 2015.5 Volvo S60 FWD Maintenance from 40-100k is $4,140. Discounting 25% off these prices (most dealers run specials or will discount for regular customers), we're at $3,000. NOT including Brakes / Pads / Rotors / Wipers.

40k - $868.92
50k- $296.31
60k $940.78
70k $296.31
80k $868.92
90k $296.31
100k $574.13

Over the life of my Plan, I'll have probably gotten ~12 sets of wipers @ 50 each. $600

@Tech needs to chime in here: How much is a complete set of all around Brakes / Rotors / Pads for Front and Rear? - Ill probably wind up with 2 sets. Or at least one complete set and rear brakes.

The math here easily shows that Volvo wasn't making money off these plans. And in fact, "Losing Money" because the customer got a far better value than POSSIBLY INTENDED. Good for the Customer, Not for Volvo.

On top of this, Volvo offered a 7 yr / 100K CPO (Now 5 Years / unlimited miles) from in service date. Again, very generous Consumer Friendly terms. Not necessary great for Volvo's bottom line. Terms changed in 2018 (5yr / unlimited).

Long story short, I get Volvo's resistance. Customers like myself, under these old plans, are very costly.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Legally, you have nothing covering you for the wear items. The original contract is about Factory Scheduled Maintenance and not wear items. There is nothing in that contract referencing wear items. The brochure you attached to the old contract is irrelevant because it is not referenced in the contract and is not part of the contract, regardless of what it says about wear items. Your state AG may be able to help by persuasion, but there is nothing I see here that legally obligates the dealership to do anything regarding the wear items. I would not have signed this "contract" if you can even call it that. Buying ANY extended warranty or pre-paid maintenance is not something I would ever recommend for anyone. I could buy a whole new Volvo with the money I've saved from never buying an extended warranty on anything for 40 years.
Volvo admitted they were wrong and were actually obligated to honor my contract. My Contract stated 7 years or 100,000 miles / wear coverage. While the contract didn't spell out what "Wear Coverage Was", there was no dispute, because Volvo's ONLY literature (2015 Brochure) explained the definition of wear coverage.

Volvo tried to pine off their 2019 brochure as their basis for limitations. I rebuffed those efforts, sent then them 2015 Brochure, challenging Volvo to produce any literature that spelled out limitations in my contract or their 2015 Brochure. Volvo spent days "researching", and finally came back stating they were wrong. No such paperwork could be located.

My contract indeed covers AS NEEDED brakes / rotors / pads and wipers without set limitations.

End Result
: I got brand new wipers today and will continue until my car reaches 100k.

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
151 Posts
It appears Volvo has gone down the tubes after they were acquired by the Chinese company. I traded mine for a Toyota and would Neve purchase another of their inferior products.
Just FYI - Volvos have been going to the shop on a frequent basis LONG before China got involved :rolleyes:

·
Vendor
30 Posts
Ownership of Volvo wasn't the issue here. It was Volvo Customer Care failing to adhere to the terms of the old service contract. Customer Care "conveniently or inconveniently" had no reference to the old literature. So they grounded their argument in the 2019 literature, becoming unyielding and uncompromising to reason. Even after I furnished my contract and brochure.

It wasn't until I took another approach, "show me the literature that says I've got limitations", did Volvo acquiesce and admit their mistake. Their initial response was to show me the 2019 brochure, and I replied back with the 2015 brochure. Again saying the 2019 terms weren't applicable. After "researching", Volvo came to the conclusion they in fact had no basis for denying my wiper claims (or future brake claims).

With the help of @rileyvolvo, this issue was then resolved.
Glad to help resolve this. Don't worry about others saying "you didn't deserve" any help from Volvo. Volvo provided the proof that you deserve the help by agreeing to approve future repairs.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Glad to help resolve this. Don't worry about others saying "you didn't deserve" any help from Volvo. Volvo provided the proof that you deserve the help by agreeing to approve future repairs.
Agreed. There will always naysayers and those who think one is asking too much. Volvo agreeing to the terms shows they were wrong, regardless of these individuals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was looking at some maintenance contracts from Volvo and they seem very very light on brakes, wipers etc. To only have one set of brakes put on a car in 100k miles, especially given the propensity of their vehicles to absolutely chew through brakes seems outrageous to me.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I was looking at some maintenance contracts from Volvo and they seem very very light on brakes, wipers etc. To only have one set of brakes put on a car in 100k miles, especially given the propensity of their vehicles to absolutely chew through brakes seems outrageous to me.
The old contracts were very generous. "As Needed" on Brakes / Rotors / Pads / Wipers. Volvo relented and agreed. The new plan isn't nearly as generous. The 7 year plan only limits to 6 sets of wipers ($300 value), 2 Sets of Front Brake Pads, 1 set of Rear Brake Pads, Front Rotor, and 1 Rear Rotor.

I've owned my car since June 2016. I've probably gotten 10-12 sets of wipers (wipers about every 6 months), plus I've had brakes replaced all around. I drive Highway so that's pretty low wear and tear. Rears were done at 50-60k. Front at 80k. Most people will chew through brakes much faster.

Depending on your vehicle, brakes all around will run $1200-$1600 (give or take). So at the $3700 retail price tag of the old plan, you could easily Maximize value. 7 Services (calculated that to around $3000 - Was $4000 took 25% off for "Specials and Discounts"). 10 Sets of Wipers ($500). I've already had 1 set of all around brakes ($1200). So there's 4700. At least $1000 in savings. And I'm pretty certain I'll be getting another set of back brakes before the plan is up having gone 40-50k on those.

Clearly, the old plan wasn't a windfall for Volvo and they realized it by modifying the terms. Those of us with this old plan are "Expensive".

Attachments

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
So DIY, buy one set of wipers, pads, rotors etc at FCP and never pay for them again as long as you own the car ;)
How the heck can they make money with a lifetime guarantee on wipers, pads, rotors, etc?

·
Registered
748 Posts
How the heck can they make money with a lifetime guarantee on wipers, pads, rotors, etc?
Most people either don't pay much attention to their return policy, don't get around to doing the return, or, because FCP only sells OE or high end OEM parts, the parts don't break or wear out as often as the cheap stuff from Advance, Rock Auto, etc. And it earns them a great reputation. I buy everything there, even if they aren't the cheapest, because they save me so much money on oil changes. That means I will buy speciality tools or the sort of stuff that I won't ever have to return from them too. So they are still making money on me even though I return my old oil.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Most people either don't pay much attention to their return policy, don't get around to doing the return, or, because FCP only sells OE or high end OEM parts, the parts don't break or wear out as often as the cheap stuff from Advance, Rock Auto, etc. And it earns them a great reputation. I buy everything there, even if they aren't the cheapest, because they save me so much money on oil changes. That means I will buy speciality tools or the sort of stuff that I won't ever have to return from them too. So they are still making money on me even though I return my old oil.
I guess brakes / pads / rotors really depends upon driving habits. I am a majority highway driver, so I got rear breaks at 50-60k and front at 80k. 1 complete set so far. So ya, I guess people like me aren't breaking their bank. Dealer did brakes under prepaid. However, sounds like once that's up, I'll probably have dealer or indie put on FCP brakes moving forward.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So how much does it cost to ship a 5 L bottle of oil back to FCP? Not being condescending here, i'm genuinely curious. I just did an oil change and have a couple 5L bottles of used Liqui-Moly in the garage. I was just going to bring them to the local auto parts store for recycle.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I don’t bother returning fluids... seems to be more trouble than it is worth... I’ll send back most anything that will fit in a priority Mail flat-rate box.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don’t bother returning fluids... seems to be more trouble than it is worth... I’ll send back most anything that will fit in a priority Mail flat-rate box.
Pretty funny. I was going to return some wiper blades, took it to the UPS Store the other day, they quoted my $35 to ship it back. Suggested I take it to USPS, haven't had a chance to do that yet. Given that they were <$30 shipped for the pair, still not a bad deal even without the return, but live and learn.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Pretty funny. I was going to return some wiper blades, took it to the UPS Store the other day, they quoted my $35 to ship it back. Suggested I take it to USPS, haven't had a chance to do that yet. Given that they were <$30 shipped for the pair, still not a bad deal even without the return, but live and learn.
Prob far cheaper at USPS. UPS and Fedex are always very expensive. Far more than postal office.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Remember they accept returns “in any condition’... if you have to bend/cut to fit the box that works ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
So how much does it cost to ship a 5 L bottle of oil back to FCP? Not being condescending here, i'm genuinely curious. I just did an oil change and have a couple 5L bottles of used Liqui-Moly in the garage. I was just going to bring them to the local auto parts store for recycle.
6 months ago when I did my last oil change, I shipped back 6 liters of oil, an oil filter, drain plug, and 2 sets of wiper blades (I replace my car's and my wifes each time I order from them). I took it to mom & pop shipping place that does UPS, Fed Ex, and USPS. Surprisingly, Fed Ex ground was the cheapest at $30. I also bent my old wipers in half like @Sysyphus61 just suggested to avoid having to use a longer box which would have made the shipping more expensive. I got that advice on here about a year ago (possibly from sysyphus). I got $110 back for that order.

This time it might cost a little more to ship back because I also ordered an engine air filter and a rear wiper blade. But I should get back around $140.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
6 months ago when I did my last oil change, I shipped back 6 liters of oil, an oil filter, drain plug, and 2 sets of wiper blades (I replace my car's and my wifes each time I order from them). I took it to mom & pop shipping place that does UPS, Fed Ex, and USPS. Surprisingly, Fed Ex ground was the cheapest at $30. I also bent my old wipers in half like @Sysyphus61 just suggested to avoid having to use a longer box which would have made the shipping more expensive. I got that advice on here about a year ago (possibly from sysyphus). I got $110 back for that order.

This time it might cost a little more to ship back because I also ordered an engine air filter and a rear wiper blade. But I should get back around $140.
How does FCP make money? If FCP warranties these parts for life, the sell once, warranty for duration of vehicle ownership, seems like a money losing proposition. Especially on consumable parts and parts subject to wear. I'm still at a loss on the math.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts