SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Do you Agree my Contract is Unlimited for Brakes, Rotors, and Wipers based upon the terms specificed

• Yes, I agree the Plan is Unlimited

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I think you are reading too deep into the contract

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes, I agree the Plan is Unlimited and a Consumer Complaint with the Attorney General is warranted.

Votes: 3 42.9%
41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
151 Posts
I am a bit confused here - are you trying to get worn out brakes replaced or get them replaced on demand just because? It seems like unless Volvo contract writers are utterly stupid, you might be getting X number of brake jobs OR getting worn out brakes replaced, but I cannot see any way you would get unlimited brake jobs and get to have them when desired even if they aren't worn out. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am a bit confused here - are you trying to get worn out brakes replaced or get them replaced on demand just because? It seems like unless Volvo contract writers are utterly stupid, you might be getting X number of brake jobs OR getting worn out brakes replaced, but I cannot see any way you would get unlimited brake jobs and get to have them when desired even if they aren't worn out. Am I missing something?
He backtracked (or clarified) that he expressed that he would like them replaced at 100k assuming they are appropriately worn per Volvo tolerances. He also stated that he would drive his car hard in these last 20k miles so his front brakes are worn down enough to get them replaced under warranty, although I suspect (hope) he was being a bit facetious.

As for wipers, I think most would agree that 10 years is generally excessive on one end of the scale (although I'm sure there are exceptions - e.g., car is only driven in good weather, a few thousand miles a year, etc.), but that 2.5 months is excessive on the other end.

But really, let's keep the off topic stuff out of this thread. There is no need to be sniping at others about how their practices are unsafe or whatever else, as that contributes nothing to the discussion at hand.

Reactions: jschaefer7406

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Something is missing. The word "wear" appears only once on the first page under plan code with no explanation of what that means anywhere. I understand that is all you got, but Volvo corporate sounds like they are referring to something you don't have. You need to tell them, "Listen, I have a 2.5 page contract that doesn't spell out "wear" anywhere on it. It doesn't mention any limits. What do you have that says my plan is limited? Please send it to me."
I have... This is what they sent me....

Denial Response:

Our Volvo customer’s concerns are always taken seriously, this is why we had your case reviewed at the highest level of management who is empowered by our president and CEO to make these decisions. While we regret you may disagree with our decision, unfortunately our decision remains the same in this case. We understand your experience has not met your expectation of Volvo and we do apologize.

Reply:

I would like to please request a copy of the documentation you are referencing that states my policy limits to four sets of wipers, along with the other limits you specified in our conversation.

Thank you for your assistance,

Follow Up:

I am assisting Ali as he is out of the office. Please see the link I have provided below and click on wear maintenance plan once it opens. I hope this helps.

Service by Volvo - Protection Plans | Volvo Car USA

Replied to them.... That doesn't pertain to my plan. Attached my brochure......So far nothing in response.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
He backtracked (or clarified) that he expressed that he would like them replaced at 100k assuming they are appropriately worn per Volvo tolerances. He also stated that he would drive his car hard in these last 20k miles so his front brakes are worn down enough to get them replaced under warranty, although I suspect (hope) he was being a bit facetious.

As for wipers, I think most would agree that 10 years is generally excessive on one end of the scale (although I'm sure there are exceptions - e.g., car is only driven in good weather, a few thousand miles a year, etc.), but that 2.5 months is excessive on the other end.

But really, let's keep the off topic stuff out of this thread. There is no need to be sniping at others about how their practices are unsafe or whatever else, as that contributes nothing to the discussion at hand.
1. Dealer has been the one to replace Wipers every 10k. Reason: Streaking. Up until 76k. Again, Dealer makes that decision. Due to lots of salt, snow, ice, etc the wipers have degraded performance 5 months later. So they wanted to swap again, and were told "Ive exhausted my coverage".

2. Dealer had decided to replace rear brakes at 50 or 60k. And again at 80k (Front). I have expressed a desire to be sent out the door with a new set of brakes at 100k. Dealer makes that decision.. As I stated, the rears have a very good chance of needing replaced at 100k. Seeing they have have 40-50k of wear. The fronts will have ONLY 20k. Lesser chance of being approved.

My concern is even though the dealer tells me I have brakes remaining, Volvo seems to make up its mind on a whim. There's nothing in the contract about a wiper limit or brake limit. So what's to keep Volvo from telling me next year, my policy only includes 1 set of brakes?

10 years is somewhere between 10 and 20 times the industry standard on replacing wipers. Industry recommends every 6 to 12 months. For obvious reasons that rubber degrades over time, especially if subjected to inclement weather.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
General FYI: I drive about 15-16,000 Miles a year. Meaning a 10k service around every 7 or 8 months. The dealer Swapping Wipers every FSM service visit (and sometimes in between during warranty, recall, or other work) falls in line with industry standards and recommendations. Meaning: Dealer nor "I" have abused the plan what so ever by dealer giving me a set every 10k. Wipers should be swapped every 6 to 12 months per industry standards:

https://www.autozone.com/diy/wipers/how-long-do-windshield-wipers-last

Most makers of windshield wipers recommend that you replace them every six to 12 months

Signs your windshield wipers need to be replaced - Don Williamson Nissan

In general, it’s recommended that you change your windshield wiper blades every six months to a year, or as soon as you notice that they’re not functioning properly.

How to Take Care of Your Windshield Wipers - Your AAA Network

It's recommended to replace your windshield wiper blades every six months.

My car had wipers replaced back in September during the engine tear down for piston rings.. I just had the 80K last week. So about 5 months have passed. Dealer wanted to swap them out again at 80k and thus begun this saga.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Something is missing. The word "wear" appears only once on the first page under plan code with no explanation of what that means anywhere. I understand that is all you got, but Volvo corporate sounds like they are referring to something you don't have. You need to tell them, "Listen, I have a 2.5 page contract that doesn't spell out "wear" anywhere on it. It doesn't mention any limits. What do you have that says my plan is limited? Please send it to me."
General FYI: I suspect two things:

1. Volvo has seller's remorse on these old plans that didn't impose limits and realized they were more costly than projected.

2. Volvo Customer Care sending me a link to their "New Brochures" doesn't bode well for their argument. If their point of reference for clarification purposes is to highlight the 2019 Brochure, then my Brochure for Model Year 2015 is the golden ticket. The 2015 Brochure specifies no limits and drives a final nail into their coffin (arguments). You can't second string quarter back a contract and arbitrarily redefine limits due to sellers remorse.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Reading through this, and with everything else aside, I can vouch that Customer Care is pretty much a joke. In my dealings with them, they’ll make a determination, and then proceed to tell you it cannot be escalated any further (even when they’re flat out wrong). I’ve never dealt with a company in which you can’t speak with a superior, and that alone is shady. So I feel your pain there, and expect nothing satisfactory will come from your dealings with Customer Care.

Joe

Reactions: meade18

·
Registered
333 Posts
Dealer nor "I" have abused the plan what so ever by dealer giving me a set every 10k. Wipers should be swapped every 6 to 12 months per industry standards
Just reacting to the message from Volvo corporate that suggests you received a wiper replacement in November. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought you were just denied recently (i.e., within the last month) for another wiper blade replacement. The timing of your services was not clear, so I may have mistakenly inferred that timeline of events.

Regardless, I think it is the correct action to request detail from Volvo outlining the limits on the specific plan at the time of purchase.

Reactions: jschaefer7406

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Just reacting to the message from Volvo corporate that suggests you received a wiper replacement in November. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought you were just denied recently (i.e., within the last month) for another wiper blade replacement. The timing of your services was not clear, so I may have mistakenly inferred that timeline of events.

Regardless, I think it is the correct action to request detail from Volvo outlining the limits on the specific plan at the time of purchase.
I will add one point of correction. I pulled out my service visit notes. I thought dealer replaced wipers at the Piston Ring Rebuild in September. In fact, they did it in November with another issue I wanted inspected (On Call App kept telling me my drivers window was open relentlessly). Wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue with the seal. Bug with the app is what we'd determined.

Either way, on my February Visit, dealer noted wipers are streaking windshield. Whether the set I got were defective or the rigors of winter's salt, snow, rain, and all in between degraded wipers more rapidly this time over the preceding three months. I can't say. They are definitely streaking. Dealer notated in visit summary from last week.

And yes, I'd really like to know what material / literature Volvo is referencing. So far, they have not provided me a straight answer. See above Here's our 2019 Brochure.....Not Applicable.

Got a reply today: Noticed in Email Box.....Let's see what Betty "Finds" pertaining to limitations that Volvo alleges.

I am sorry for the confusion. I am looking into this further and I will update you just as soon as I have more information.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Betty

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have pm'ed you the information you requested. My contract literally states FSMUC7C (7 Years or 100,000 Miles / Wear Coverage). Here's the first page, although I am sure you can look up that information, too.

Per my greater concern, I had rear brakes done at 50 or 60k (Forget Exact) and the front's done at my 80K service. From day one, I've expressed to the dealer that at the 100K service, I want brakes all around. In order to send my vehicle out the door in tip top working order, before the policy expires.

What's to stop Volvo from now "changing their terms" and telling me you've got one set of Brakes, Pads, and Rotors, and no more are allowed? Especially if they are nickle and diming over the wipers!

Really appreciate your offer of assistance. My only other recourse is the State Attorney General's Office, and I'd like to avoid this if possible. Slash and Burn tactic is going to create hard feelings, even if I come out victorious in the end. I'd rather resolve things diplomatically if possible.
The fact that you have expressed to the dealer that you want new brakes/rotors all around at 100k miles does not legally or morally obligate them to grant this wish. I believe there is nowhere in the contract that states you have this right. Further, your characterization of "slash & burn" by going to the state's DA's office is amusing to me. You will find the DA's office has bigger fish to fry than your unrealistic expectation of getting new brakes/rotors at 100k miles, and new wiper blades to boot. Keep us posted though!

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
The fact that you have expressed to the dealer that you want new brakes/rotors all around at 100k miles does not legally or morally obligate them to grant this wish. I believe there is nowhere in the contract that states you have this right. Further, your characterization of "slash & burn" by going to the state's DA's office is amusing to me. You will find the DA's office has bigger fish to fry than your unrealistic expectation of getting new brakes/rotors at 100k miles, and new wiper blades to boot. Keep us posted though!
Your reading and comprehension skills need improved.

1. I said Attorney General. Apparently, you lack an understanding of the differences between a DA (District Attorney) and Attorney General. The Attorney General's office handles consumer complaints related to unfair business practices by companies. A District Attorney tries criminal cases.

2. Expressing an interest. I never said ENTITLED. However, if you bothered to read the thread, my back brakes were done at 50 or 60k. Making them LIKELY to need replacing by 100K. The front was done at 80k. Possible but less likely.

I value people's opinions, but your input is nonsensical and borders on asinine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I say give the state DA's office the gr
Dealer replaced wipers at each 10k service interval plus a few times in between when the wipers were clearly smearing. Winter sucks on wiper blades (snow, salt, ice, etc). Dealer has replaced at their discretion. I am happy with dealer. So the complaint here is Volvo Corporate.

Same dealer has serviced car 10-80k. Again, I am 100% happy with all those services + warranty repairs.

This was Volvo's reply: - Total Nonsense. Even giving Volvo the upmost benefit of the doubt.....

Thank you for your patience while your case was open.I apologize for any
inconvenience but we were informed that your wiper blades were replaced on
your last visit which was on 11-02-2020 at 76,564 miles. According to the dealer
your contract shows that you are eligible for (4) four sets up wipers during the (7)
seven service visits and there are also limitations as to the numbers of Factory
Scheduled Maintenance you are eligible for. Please your vehicle service history
to ensure you did not go over the amount of services you are eligible for under
your contract. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Their "New Plan" for 7 year wear Plan Offers:

7-year: 6 Wipers, 2 Sets of Front Brake Pads, 1 Set of Rear Break Pads, 1 Front Rotor, 1 Rear Rotor

General FYI:

I did speak to the Attorney General's office and created a reference number, but did not yet file an official complaint. Wanted to make sure this is something they handled. They said without a doubt they 100% handle this concern. If your contract doesn't place limitations, Volvo absolutely cannot change or modify that contract.

I want to give @rileyvolvo a chance to look into the matter, before filing the complaint, since he graciously offered to assist. I believe in diplomacy and giving people a chance. I've exhausted my efforts, but maybe rileyvolvo has a few tricks under his sleeves.
I say, give the state's DA's office the green light and start the meter. Let's see how long it takes for them to get your desired result. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I say, give the state's DA's office the green light and start the meter. Let's see how long it takes for them to get your desired result. Keep us posted.
Really? You're still thinking the Attorney General is the same as a DA (District Attorney)? My head hurts replying to you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your reading and comprehension skills need improved.

1. I said Attorney General. Apparently, you lack an understanding of the differences between a DA (District Attorney) and Attorney General. The Attorney General's office handles consumer complaints related to unfair business practices by companies. A District Attorney tries criminal cases. Dear Lord. Did you ever study Civics in School?

2. Expressing an interest. I never said ENTITLED. However, if you bothered to read the thread, my back brakes were done at 50 or 60k. Making them LIKELY to need replacing by 100K. The front was done at 80k. Possible but less likely.

I value people's opinions, but your input is nonsensical and borders on asinine.
well - you can replace DA with /Attorney General if you want - the expected result will be the same. But I can see why the dealership considers you to be a problem customer - condescending, hostile, rude, entitled.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
well - you can replace DA with /Attorney General if you want - the expected result will be the same. But I can see why the dealership considers you to be a problem customer - condescending, hostile, rude, entitled.
How old are you? I'm going to guess somewhere in your late teens early 20s. There's saying in life: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt

1. I've spoken to the Attorney General's office "unofficially". Opening up a reference number without filing a formal complaint. They specifically handle consumer complaints. That's their job. Waiting on assistance from a Volvo Dealer here before pursing the matter in full. - This is a "Civil Matter". Not a Criminal One (District Attorney).

2. My dealer has treated me very well. THIS IS NOT a dealer level issue. This is a Volvo Corporate telling my dealer the plan has been exhausted.

For the love of god....

·
Registered
59 Posts
How old are you? I'm going to guess somewhere in your late teens early 20s. There's saying in life: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt

1. I've spoken to the Attorney General's office "unofficially". Opening up a reference number without filing a formal complaint. They specifically handle consumer complaints. That's their job. Waiting on assistance from a Volvo Dealer here before pursing the matter in full. - This is a "Civil Matter". Not a Criminal One (District Attorney).

2. My dealer has treated me very well. THIS IS NOT a dealer level issue. This is a Volvo Corporate telling my dealer the plan has been exhausted.

For the love of god....
if the dealer has treated you very well, as you claim, then why are you making a federal case of this? Just go to costco, buy some wiper blades, and install them. Requires minimal mechanical ability. Wiper problem solved.

·
Registered
59 Posts
if the dealer has treated you very well, as you claim, then why are you making a federal case of this? Just go to costco, buy some wiper blades, and install them. Requires minimal mechanical ability. Wiper problem solved.
PS. The only time to reasonably expect new brakes/rotors, is at the time you drive off the lot with a new car.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Sigh.....Because Volvo Corporate is attempting to negate the terms of their PrePaid Maintenance + Wear contract on a WHIM and over $50-$60 dollar wipers. The plan still has 19,000 miles / 16 months left. What's to stop them from telling me I've gotten one set of brake / pads / rotors and that's all it covers. EVEN THOUGH neither limitations are spelled out in the contract (Wipers or Brakes).

Definition of a Contract: (it's clear you need this to fully understand our conversation)

a written or spoken agreement, especially one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law.

Here, the contract is a Civil Matter between Volvo Corporate and Myself. Volvo Corporate isn't living up to their obligations. Thus the state Attorney General intervenes on Consumer's Behalf over unfair business practices.

PS. The only time to reasonably expect new brakes/rotors, is at the time you drive off the lot with a new car.
This is my last reply to you. My head hurts. It's called a PREPAID MAINTENANCE + WEAR contract with Volvo. The contract includes Brakes / Rotors / Pads / Wipers.

It'd be like you buying a car, signing a contract, and not getting the vehicle delivered. A "Service Contract" was added over and above my car purchase. Meaning, when my car needs brakes / rotors / pads / wipers I AM DUE A REPLACEMENT per the terms of the contract.

Seriously @kemosaabe, you're not a sharp tool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sigh.....Because Volvo Corporate is attempting to negate the terms of their PrePaid Maintenance + Wear contract on a WHIM and over $50-$60 dollar wipers. The plan still has 19,000 miles / 16 months left. What's to stop them from telling me I've gotten one set of brake / pads / rotors and that's all it covers. EVEN THOUGH neither limitations are spelled out in the contract (Wipers or Brakes).

Definition of a Contract: (it's clear you need this to fully understand our conversation)

a written or spoken agreement, especially one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law.

Here, the contract is a Civil Matter between Volvo Corporate and Myself. Volvo Corporate isn't living up to their obligations. Thus the state Attorney General intervenes on Consumer's Behalf over unfair business practices.

This is my last reply to you. My head hurts. It's called a PREPAID MAINTENANCE + WEAR contract with Volvo. The contract includes Brakes / Rotors / Pads / Wipers.

It'd be like you buying a car, signing a contract, and not getting the vehicle delivered. A "Service Contract" was added over and above my car purchase. Meaning, when my car needs brakes / rotors / pads / wipers I AM DUE A REPLACEMENT per the terms of the contract.

Seriously @kemosaabe, you're not a sharp tool.
when your opponent resorts to name calling, you know they don't have the facts on their side. As any sharp tool would know, you cannot expect them to replace your brakes/rotors when your service contract ends - that definition exists only in your mind's eye. They have replaced your wiper blades 7 times - sounds to me like they have fulfilled their end of the bargain.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts