SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Do you Agree my Contract is Unlimited for Brakes, Rotors, and Wipers based upon the terms specificed

• Yes, I agree the Plan is Unlimited

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I think you are reading too deep into the contract

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes, I agree the Plan is Unlimited and a Consumer Complaint with the Attorney General is warranted.

Votes: 3 42.9%
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

So I've helped a ton of people on here get results. I've had good luck myself in the past getting resolutions to my own issues. However, I am very disappointed with Volvo Corporate's response at the moment. Volvo is "reneging" the terms of the Prepaid Maintenance + Wear Contract that was attached to my vehicle in 2016 at the time of purchase. FSMUC7C.

I am attaching a Copy of the Contract I signed (Minus First Page which only includes my Personal Information). Along with the Brochure for the Maintenance Plan (Contract.PDF) FSMUC7C (7 years or 100000 miles / wear coverage)

You'll notice absent from my contract or the Brochure are limitations on the number Wipers, Brakes, Rotors. Volvo is now trying to "arbitrarily" state I have exhausted Wiper Coverage and assign limits to my policy.

Wear Item Coverage includes wiper blades, brake pads and rotors, allowing worry-free ownership with virtually no maintenance expenses. Wear Item Coverage begins from time of purchase, see examples below.

ADD SEVEN SERVICES + Wear Item Coverage up to 100K
40K, 50K, 60K, 70K, 80K, 90K & 100K Services

Examples (From Attached Brochure)

A new MY2015, MY2014 or MY2013 vehicle is sold, and the customer purchases a seven service package with wear item coverage. Wear coverage on the vehicle is from 0–100,000 miles.
A new MY2015, MY2014 or MY2013 vehicle is sold, and the customer decides not to purchase an FSM Optional Upgrade at that time. The customer visits the service department for their first complimentary FSM service, and decides to purchase a seven service FSM package with wear item coverage. At that time, the vehicle has 11,000 miles. That vehicle will now have wear coverage from 11,000–100,000 miles.
A used MY2015, MY2014 or MY2013 vehicle is sold with 26,000 miles, and the customer purchases a seven service package with wear item coverage. That vehicle will have wear coverage from 26,000–100,000 miles.

Volvo's New Contract clearly spells out limits to Brakes, Rotors, and Wipers:

Program Length
Components Included

3-year 2 Wipers, 1 Set of Front Brake Pads
5-year 4 Wipers, 1 Set of Front Brake Pads, 1 Set of Rear Brake Pads, Front Rotor, 1 Rear Rotor
7-year 6 Wipers, 2 Sets of Front Brake Pads, 1 Set of Rear Break Pads, 1 Front Rotor, 1 Rear Rotor
10-year 8 Wipers, 2 Sets of Front Pads, 2 Sets of Rear Brake Pads, 2 Front Rotors, 2 Rear Rotors

Here is Volvo's Reply:

According to the dealer your contract shows that you are eligible for (4) four sets up wipers during the (7) seven service visits and there are also limitations as to the numbers of Factory Scheduled Maintenance you are eligible for. Please your vehicle service history to ensure you did not go over the amount of services you are eligible for under your contract. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns

MY QUESTION:

Do you agree / disagree on my interpretation? I feel Volvo is trying to "modify" the terms of my contract based upon limitations and revisions Volvo placed on New Policies being sold (New Contract.PDF). And now arbitrarily trying to impose limits on my plan, too.

As Volvo has denied my grievance, I am strongly considering contacting my state's Attorney General's Office and filing a consumer complaint.

Input Welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Volvo V60
36 Posts
That's BS. Both parties agreed to the previous contract and I didn't see anything in the old one that states terms could be changed.
I'd contact your state attorney general and file a complaint. I'd also bring the old one you signed to the dealer and ask them where it says you have a limit. If the dealer brings up the new contract, you firmly state that's not what I signed.
Luckily, I live in Massachusetts, my state attorney general is quite pro-consumer, especially towards car owners. Massachusetts has a strong "Right to Repair" law. You know about my issue, so I may contact my state attorney general about it if I have to pay anything.

Reactions: rallyr32

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's BS. Both parties agreed to the previous contract and I didn't see anything in the old one that states terms could be changed.
I'd contact your state attorney general and file a complaint. I'd also bring the old one you signed to the dealer and ask them where it says you have a limit. If the dealer brings up the new contract, you firmly state that's not what I signed.
Luckily, I live in Massachusetts, my state attorney general is quite pro-consumer, especially towards car owners. Massachusetts has a strong "Right to Repair" law. You know about my issue, so I may contact my state attorney general about it if I have to pay anything.
According to dealer Volvo Customer Care is the one who raised the issue. Either way, I did mention this concern to my dealer, who directed me to open a Volvo Customer Care ticket......Struck Out there....

We shall see how Pro Consumer my state is, but I don't see anything in writing either placing limitations?

·
Registered
12,940 Posts
I'd like a fourth option - "Buy a set of wipers for your car you cheapskate!" Just kidding. Of course, Volvo can't go back and unilaterally change the terms of your deal unless there is some other fine print or reasonableness standard. They're just assuming that nobody is going to fight them on it. But I have every confidence you'll fight like heck to get those wipers, lol.

This is reason number 657 why I don't buy extended warrantees and service contracts - you typically end up fighting with someone, just like your interior wear and tear a few years ago.

·
Vendor
30 Posts
Hi All,

So I've helped a ton of people on here get results. I've had good luck myself in the past getting resolutions to my own issues. However, I am very disappointed with Volvo Corporate's response at the moment. Volvo is "reneging" the terms of the Prepaid Maintenance + Wear Contract that was attached to my vehicle in 2016 at the time of purchase. FSMUC7C.

I am attaching a Copy of the Contract I signed (Minus First Page which only includes my Personal Information). Along with the Brochure for the Maintenance Plan (Contract.PDF) FSMUC7C (7 years or 100000 miles / wear coverage)

You'll notice absent from my contract or the Brochure are limitations on the number Wipers, Brakes, Rotors. Volvo is now trying to "arbitrarily" state I have exhausted Wiper Coverage and assign limits to my policy.

Wear Item Coverage includes wiper blades, brake pads and rotors, allowing worry-free ownership with virtually no maintenance expenses. Wear Item Coverage begins from time of purchase, see examples below.

ADD SEVEN SERVICES + Wear Item Coverage up to 100K
40K, 50K, 60K, 70K, 80K, 90K & 100K Services

Examples (From Attached Brochure)

A new MY2015, MY2014 or MY2013 vehicle is sold, and the customer purchases a seven service package with wear item coverage. Wear coverage on the vehicle is from 0–100,000 miles.
A new MY2015, MY2014 or MY2013 vehicle is sold, and the customer decides not to purchase an FSM Optional Upgrade at that time. The customer visits the service department for their first complimentary FSM service, and decides to purchase a seven service FSM package with wear item coverage. At that time, the vehicle has 11,000 miles. That vehicle will now have wear coverage from 11,000–100,000 miles.
A used MY2015, MY2014 or MY2013 vehicle is sold with 26,000 miles, and the customer purchases a seven service package with wear item coverage. That vehicle will have wear coverage from 26,000–100,000 miles.

Volvo's New Contract clearly spells out limits to Brakes, Rotors, and Wipers:

Program Length
Components Included

3-year 2 Wipers, 1 Set of Front Brake Pads
5-year 4 Wipers, 1 Set of Front Brake Pads, 1 Set of Rear Brake Pads, Front Rotor, 1 Rear Rotor
7-year 6 Wipers, 2 Sets of Front Brake Pads, 1 Set of Rear Break Pads, 1 Front Rotor, 1 Rear Rotor
10-year 8 Wipers, 2 Sets of Front Pads, 2 Sets of Rear Brake Pads, 2 Front Rotors, 2 Rear Rotors

Here is Volvo's Reply:

According to the dealer your contract shows that you are eligible for (4) four sets up wipers during the (7) seven service visits and there are also limitations as to the numbers of Factory Scheduled Maintenance you are eligible for. Please your vehicle service history to ensure you did not go over the amount of services you are eligible for under your contract. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns

MY QUESTION:

Do you agree / disagree on my interpretation? I feel Volvo is trying to "modify" the terms of my contract based upon limitations and revisions Volvo placed on New Policies being sold (New Contract.PDF). And now arbitrarily trying to impose limits on my plan, too.

As Volvo has denied my grievance, I am strongly considering contacting my state's Attorney General's Office and filing a consumer complaint.

Input Welcome.
Hey MyVolvoS60,

I know you're asking for "unbiased" opinions, and while I represent a Volvo dealership, we can definitely help. Where are you located, and what is your VIN and miles? You can email me if you don't want to post that here. [email protected]

You are right, the original contract and brochures do not explicitly limit the amount of wiper blades or other wear items. Customer Care's response is based on the dealer and possibly their Aftersales Market Manager's (AMM) opinion of what to provide. I believe what they're saying is that it is "implied" or "assumed" that wear items are only replaced at each scheduled service, however we all know what happens when one "assumes".

Please get me your info and I will speak with my AMM and see what we can do. If you were at our store, I'd just petition to give you a set of blades as needed going forward, with the understanding that the other wear items, such as brakes, may have service interval limits.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
The contract you provided actually doesn't say they're give you anything, not even an oil change. I think page one gives some of that data, and I think there might just be a box for the wear care, is that correct on yours? Then I think there is a link on page one that gives the full terms and conditions, thats how the new ones are anyhow. I keep a printed out copy at my desk to go over with folks. The brochure isn't a contract, it's a bunch of marketing fluff. So you're missing a big chunk I think. As you know, I've only been here a few years and for as long as I've been here the contract that customers get when they buy the product specifies how much of each product they get, and all the information I provide has that as well. I've frankly always steered folks away from the wear care (though I think the pre-paid maintenance alone is a decent value). There just isn't much savings there. It's basically just paying for it now so you don't have to pay a bill when you come in, while the prepaid maintenance generally offers at least a little discount and the key replacement is a nice addition.

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
151 Posts
Devil's Advocate question - I could drive around Summit Point Racetrack doing HPDE every weekend and be going through a complete brake job every month forever. Would they cover that?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'd like a fourth option - "Buy a set of wipers for your car you cheapskate!" Just kidding. Of course, Volvo can't go back and unilaterally change the terms of your deal unless there is some other fine print or reasonableness standard. They're just assuming that nobody is going to fight them on it. But I have every confidence you'll fight like heck to get those wipers, lol.

This is reason number 657 why I don't buy extended warrantees and service contracts - you typically end up fighting with someone, just like your interior wear and tear a few years ago.
It's more than just about "wipers". They are around $50-60 a set. Not budget breaking. The bigger issue is if they are going to pull this stunt on the wipers (car is at 80k), and has had 1 set of brakes all around, what stops them from denying an additional set of brakes + rotors + pads as the car hits 100K and rolls out the door on the warranty?

As I've already expressed to Dealer at 100K, I want my car sending me out the door with new brakes before policy terminates from day one.

Give an inch...they take a mile. This is my fear.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The contract you provided actually doesn't say they're give you anything, not even an oil change. I think page one gives some of that data, and I think there might just be a box for the wear care, is that correct on yours? Then I think there is a link on page one that gives the full terms and conditions, thats how the new ones are anyhow. I keep a printed out copy at my desk to go over with folks. The brochure isn't a contract, it's a bunch of marketing fluff. So you're missing a big chunk I think. As you know, I've only been here a few years and for as long as I've been here the contract that customers get when they buy the product specifies how much of each product they get, and all the information I provide has that as well. I've frankly always steered folks away from the wear care (though I think the pre-paid maintenance alone is a decent value). There just isn't much savings there. It's basically just paying for it now so you don't have to pay a bill when you come in, while the prepaid maintenance generally offers at least a little discount and the key replacement is a nice addition.
It literally contains nothing other than what I described. Attached is the missing first page of the service contract, with all my personal information redacted.

Marketing fluff or not, the paperwork I signed doesn't place any limitations and only states FSMuC7C (7 Years or 100,000 miles / wear coverage).

See Attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey MyVolvoS60,

You are right, the original contract and brochures do not explicitly limit the amount of wiper blades or other wear items. Customer Care's response is based on the dealer and possibly their Aftersales Market Manager's (AMM) opinion of what to provide. I believe what they're saying is that it is "implied" or "assumed" that wear items are only replaced at each scheduled service, however we all know what happens when one "assumes".
I have pm'ed you the information you requested. My contract literally states FSMUC7C (7 Years or 100,000 Miles / Wear Coverage). Here's the first page, although I am sure you can look up that information, too.

Per my greater concern, I had rear brakes done at 50 or 60k (Forget Exact) and the front's done at my 80K service. From day one, I've expressed to the dealer that at the 100K service, I want brakes all around. In order to send my vehicle out the door in tip top working order, before the policy expires.

What's to stop Volvo from now "changing their terms" and telling me you've got one set of Brakes, Pads, and Rotors, and no more are allowed? Especially if they are nickle and diming over the wipers!

Really appreciate your offer of assistance. My only other recourse is the State Attorney General's Office, and I'd like to avoid this if possible. Slash and Burn tactic is going to create hard feelings, even if I come out victorious in the end. I'd rather resolve things diplomatically if possible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
"I understand the product I am purchasing noted in the Plan Code box above. I fully understand the first and last services my chosen product covers."

So there is where the legal aspect might get you. You stated by signing you understood the contract. But it seems you did not understand the "wear coverage" portion of it. It might have not been understood, but you signed saying you did understand. Here in PA it's a written contract that would supersede what someone says. However, if none of the redacted portion has any link or anything taking you to the coverage details, I'd have to ask, where is it listed what is covered for the wear coverage. If your selling dealership gave you wrong information that could be on them... but from a strictly legal perspective (not a moral one)... if you never asked for the writing showing what was covered and you signed saying you understood what was and wasn't covered that would be the other perspective. I wasn't here back then so I don't know what might or might not have been available to show the limitations of the wear coverage. Certainly Volvo saw fit to improve the information since then, likely due to some confusion, but IDK how you'd go about proving that. From Volvos perspective, they really would only have to provide a document that shows what was the limitations of brakes at the time the contract was written, and since you signed saying you understood, it could be presumed you were given the chance to ask for this document but declined. The dealer might have intentionally, or out of ignorance, misrepresented the product, and that might be your best angle, but then you'd have to prove that was done. I'm just trying to think this one out with ya. I can understand your confusion if you were only provided the brochure for your decision making.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"I understand the product I am purchasing noted in the Plan Code box above. I fully understand the first and last services my chosen product covers."

So there is where the legal aspect might get you. You stated by signing you understood the contract. But it seems you did not understand the "wear coverage" portion of it. It might have not been understood, but you signed saying you did understand. Here in PA it's a written contract that would supersede what someone says. However, if none of the redacted portion has any link or anything taking you to the coverage details, I'd have to ask, where is it listed what is covered for the wear coverage. If your selling dealership gave you wrong information that could be on them... but from a strictly legal perspective (not a moral one)... if you never asked for the writing showing what was covered and you signed saying you understood what was and wasn't covered that would be the other perspective. I wasn't here back then so I don't know what might or might not have been available to show the limitations of the wear coverage. Certainly Volvo saw fit to improve the information since then, likely due to some confusion, but IDK how you'd go about proving that. From Volvos perspective, they really would only have to provide a document that shows what was the limitations of brakes at the time the contract was written, and since you signed saying you understood, it could be presumed you were given the chance to ask for this document but declined. The dealer might have intentionally, or out of ignorance, misrepresented the product, and that might be your best angle, but then you'd have to prove that was done. I'm just trying to think this one out with ya. I can understand your confusion if you were only provided the brochure for your decision making.
Well the information above clearly states 7 Years or 100,000 miles Wear Coverage.

Wear coverage (no dispute) includes Wipers / Brakes / Rotors.

"I understand the product I am purchasing noted in the Plan Code box above. I fully understand the first and last services my chosen product covers." Above Box states: 7 Years or 100,000 Miles Wear Coverage.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never seen or heard of any limitations to the wear and tear coverage in those old packages. Perhaps every car I've ever worked on has happened to be under the limits.
This is what's aggravating. I've had one set of Brakes / Pads / Rotors (50-60k Rear) and 80K (Front). I've expressed from Day one that at 100K, I want my car to roll out the door tip top before plan terminates. Dealer "says I have brakes left", but I'm not sure I trust Volvo. If they are willing to arbitrarily change the contract and place "Limits" on the wipers (low dollar item $50-60), whats to stop Volvo from later saying "You've Gotten One Free Set of Brakes". That's all your plan covers!

I'm going to fight this one like hell. Executives shot me down. I'll give Riley Volvo a chance to assist, even though I'm halfway across the country from his dealer. So taking him up on the offer local servicing isn't possible.

Otherwise, I guess Slash and Burn (hate to do it) and contact my State's Attorney General. I'm not wanting to create hard feelings, and prefer diplomacy, but nor do I like the idea of "getting screwed" arbitrarily.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Yes... and technically they provided wipers brakes and rotors. It doesn't say all the bacon and eggs you have any more than it says only one egg and one piece of bacon. So long as you received a plurality, from a contractional perspective I can see that being fully satisfied.

I don't think you can legally conflate what's in the contract with what's on the brochure either. The brochure lacks precision... but somewhere Volvo likely has a precise definition to FSMUC7C. I can't find it. I looked on the portal and have done some google searches. Like I mentioned, on the new ones, there is a link to follow for full terms. I find it hard to believe such a full terms for wear coverage didn't exist back then. If they didn't, then you could have a case. If they did, then it's between you and the dealer I think for not providing, misrepresenting it, or you not asking for it.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
This is what's aggravating. I've had one set of Brakes / Pads / Rotors (50-60k Rear) and 80K (Front). I've expressed from Day one that at 100K, I want my car to roll out the door tip top before plan terminates. Dealer "says I have brakes left", but I'm not sure I trust Volvo. If they are willing to arbitrarily change the contract and place "Limits" on the wipers (low dollar item $50-60), whats to stop Volvo from later saying "You've Gotten One Free Set of Brakes". That's all your plan covers!

I'm going to fight this one like hell. Executives shot me down. I'll give Riley Volvo a chance to assist. Otherwise, I guess Slash and Burn (hate to do it) and contact my State's Attorney General. I'm not wanting to create hard feelings, and prefer diplomacy, but nor do I like the idea of "getting screwed" arbitrarily.
Just ask for that now. IMO the original contract you have has very little information saying what they owe you. So ask for the service department to give you what you have now... it sounds far more specific. The new contract also lacks precision, but has that link I keep referencing.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes... and technically they provided wipers brakes and rotors. It doesn't say all the bacon and eggs you have any more than it says only one egg and one piece of bacon. So long as you received a plurality, from a contractional perspective I can see that being fully satisfied.

I don't think you can legally conflate what's in the contract with what's on the brochure either. The brochure lacks precision... but somewhere Volvo likely has a precise definition to FSMUC7C. I can't find it. I looked on the portal and have done some google searches. Like I mentioned, on the new ones, there is a link to follow for full terms. I find it hard to believe such a full terms for wear coverage didn't exist back then. If they didn't, then you could have a case. If they did, then it's between you and the dealer I think for not providing, misrepresenting it, or you not asking for it.
Generally, the contract one signs should lay out all the terms and conditions. Tech seems to also perceive no limitations existed either. These old plans had no limits, which is why I think Volvo did a 180 and clarified things moving forward.

7 Years or 100,000 Miles / Wear Coverage doesn't imply stipulations. Nor do Pages 2 or 3 of the contract. Marketing literature may be "Fluff", but that literature is direct from Volvo regarding the Plan's Coverage. I have seen nothing else available regarding these old policies other than the contract and literature.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
You're assuming they are arbitrarily changing the contract. I suspect you didn't understand the original contract.

Tech didn't say he didn't think they had limitations, he said he never saw any. Those are very different statements, and mixing them up is how we get in these little tiffs.

Wear Coverage has to be defined. I think we agree with that. You feel it is defined in the brochure. I'm saying it likely was legally defined elsewhere and we don't have that document to view. The brochure language is satisfied because it doesn't say unlimited, just a plurality. You received more than one wiper, brake pad, and rotor. If you asked the dealer if you could get a brake job right before your 100k whether you needed them or not and they said yes, that's technically true with an asterixis... as it is true if you haven't used up your allotted brake jobs.

Even if I'm wrong on the missing definition, you still don't have anything that states or implies unlimited coverages.. just "wear coverage". Asking us online what we think isn't any sort of legal proof. You need to be able to show that Volvo promised all the brake pads and rotors you want. Which would mean you could go in any and every day of the week and get brakes (as you acknowledge that you don't need them to be worn to get as you said you wanted a set at 99999 miles). I highly doubt Volvo would have been so careless to allow for that. They might have had a deal where if they were worn they would be covered... but suggesting you could go in every day would not pass muster IMO. You really need to focus on finding the original wording for what wear coverage was. I highly suspect it was specific to the number of jobs. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but you haven't provided that yet.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You most certainly cannot just go in and ask for brakes. They need to be worn to a certain thickness to be covered.

Same with wipers. They need to be streaking to be covered.
Wipers streaking. Dealer wanted to replace was shot down. Agreed on brakes. Ill make sure they are worn before 100K in the next 20K miles. If anything the rear will be. As those were done at 50 or 60k. The fronts well maybe some ****ty hard braking and city driving is in my future the closer I get to 100k.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts