SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - sold my XC90, did a good job clearing out my possessions, but I FORGOT to restore factory resets. By using Volvo on Call, I located it at a dealer a few states away. On their website, there was a photo of the NAV system, DISPLAYING MY HOME ADDRESS! Not cool.

I've asked the dealer to restore factory defaults, and they did take the photo down from their site. But I can still access the car from Volvo on Call. Does that mean the car has NOT been wiped? Or is Volvo on Call walled off from the car, so to speak.

Naturally I don't want the new owner to know where I (and most my loved ones) live, and to have access to my garage door (homelink). Totally my bad for not remembering this. Cautionary tale for others. I'm continuing to monitor the car's location, as a precaution.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Thoughts?

Don't forget next time. Lesson learned the hard way.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
546 Posts
All - sold my XC90, did a good job clearing out my possessions, but I FORGOT to restore factory resets. By using Volvo on Call, I located it at a dealer a few states away. On their website, there was a photo of the NAV system, DISPLAYING MY HOME ADDRESS! Not cool.

I've asked the dealer to restore factory defaults, and they did take the photo down from their site. But I can still access the car from Volvo on Call. Does that mean the car has NOT been wiped? Or is Volvo on Call walled off from the car, so to speak.

Naturally I don't want the new owner to know where I (and most my loved ones) live, and to have access to my garage door (homelink). Totally my bad for not remembering this. Cautionary tale for others. I'm continuing to monitor the car's location, as a precaution.

Thoughts?
You can end the ownership of the vehicle yourself or call customer care to do it for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not convinced that will wipe my car. And I'm reluctant to give up my Volvo on Call until I know that the car has been wiped. How certain are you that calling Volvo will get them to wipe the car? Can that even be done remotely?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts

Thoughts?
1. What the hell? I realize you made a mistake, but why on God's Green Earth would they post a photo with an address!!!!

2. VOC is Tied to Vin Number.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Is this the address displayed because the Nav shows the last 3 addresses used for turn by turn directions? Or was this a Nav sub display of favorites or history of addresses searched for?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Change remote code on your garage. Faster than dealing with Volvo. For the rest... sure, they shouldn't have and it takes a substantial amount of both incompetence and stupidity to post a pic like that... but who cares? Maybe I just don't get the obsession with privacy... but then again, I am a NY State employee making more than $250k per year. Which means that my ethics disclosure (name, address, full list of my assets, etc.) is available with a simple google search. I am still alive, somehow.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Change remote code on your garage. Faster than dealing with Volvo. For the rest... sure, they shouldn't have and it takes a substantial amount of both incompetence and stupidity to post a pic like that... but who cares? Maybe I just don't get the obsession with privacy... but then again, I am a NY State employee making more than $250k per year. Which means that my ethics disclosure (name, address, full list of my assets, etc.) is available with a simple google search. I am still alive, somehow.
Being in NY, making 250K is like 60K elsewhere when you rent is 3 or 4 grand a month, and to buy an apartment is a few million dollars! Have a family member living there and the cost of rent and everything else is mind boggling.

Still not a cool move to post OP's address. Should have wiped the navigation before taking pictures. Bit sloppy on dealers part.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Being in NY, making 250K is like 60K elsewhere when you rent is 3 or 4 grand a month, and to buy an apartment is a few million dollars! Have a family member living there and the cost of rent and everything else is mind boggling.

Still not a cool move to post OP's address. Should have wiped the navigation before taking pictures. Bit sloppy on dealers part.
Yes, in NYC. I am in Buffalo, NY. But my point was not about my salary (sorry if it came across that way). I was pointing out that any NY state employee with a salary exceeding a certain threshold has no privacy. All my info is in a public ethics disclosure. I believe that threshold is $250k, which is why I mentioned that number.

I guess my broader point is that we seem to worry about the trees and missing the forest, when we complain about certain privacy issues. I have friends that will post a pic on Facebook of themselves in Thailand with prostitutes and lines of coke on the table in front of them, documenting every second of their lives on Instagram, and the next day complain about WhatsApp updating its privacy policies and sharing info with third parties.

But I did not mean to derail the thread, sorry. I said it already and I fully agree with you here - not a cool move, at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just start the car about 20 times a day until the dealer gets tired of putting gas in it and maybe that will get them off their butts :rolleyes:
Also maybe send directions to all the local crack houses or something to the nav system :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Do you have the addresses of your friends houses?.I like to go hang out with them..Sounds like they like to have a great time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just start the car about 20 times a day until the dealer gets tired of putting gas in it and maybe that will get them off their butts :rolleyes:
Also maybe send directions to all the local crack houses or something to the nav system :D
Ha. I've thought about that. In answer to upthread questions, the photo the dealer posted showed the nav system, and HOME was displayed with my street address. Frankly, I'd been using CarPlay for the last few years, I don't even remember how many addresses I saved in the NAV. It's really about the next owner, and not wanting them to know where their car came from.

Sounds like I'll keep VOC running for as long as possible. Car is currently in standby, hasn't been driven since mid-December. Once I see it move, I'll reach out to the dealer again to see if they restored factory resets.

The important thing (and what I've learned from the thread), is that wiping the car will NOT disable my VOC.

Best, Jamie

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Ask the dealer to send a quick video of them resetting it to factory defaults. I don't see why that would be a problem for them.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Or tell them you'd like to come back by and reset them

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Yes, in NYC. I am in Buffalo, NY. But my point was not about my salary (sorry if it came across that way). I was pointing out that any NY state employee with a salary exceeding a certain threshold has no privacy. All my info is in a public ethics disclosure. I believe that threshold is $250k, which is why I mentioned that number.

I guess my broader point is that we seem to worry about the trees and missing the forest, when we complain about certain privacy issues. I have friends that will post a pic on Facebook of themselves in Thailand with prostitutes and lines of coke on the table in front of them, documenting every second of their lives on Instagram, and the next day complain about WhatsApp updating its privacy policies and sharing info with third parties.

But I did not mean to derail the thread, sorry. I said it already and I fully agree with you here - not a cool move, at all.
I shun facebook and social media for the most part.

1. No one gives a sh*t about where "you" travel or what you do, even if they pretend to care.

2. Documenting your life for the world to see can come back and haunt you. Per your example, hanging out with Prostitutes in Thailand, doing Coke, etc are the types of photos that employers will fire you over. Especially if your career choice requires and maintains ethical clauses.

Likewise, the people who stormed the Capitol are all now losing their jobs and facing federal criminal prosecution. I bet these folks regret the snapchat, instagram, facebook, or twitter post celebrating their criminal conduct.

3. There's no expectation of privacy in the United States these days. Everything it seems is part of public record. The advent of the internet pretty much decimated any semblance or expectations to remaining anonymous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I bought my CPO XC90 few months ago the dealer didn't factory reset Sensus, even though the CPO checklist has that listed and it was checked. I just went ahead and factory reset it myself. The car stayed in-state so that address was only 30 mins from me.

Definitely bad move by the dealer, but in the greater picture probably not a big deal to a new owner who will more than likely reset the whole system or replace the address with their own.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
You won't be able to reset it remotely... and it's not common practice for a dealership to do a reset. It's annoying... I try to do it before delivery on cars, but I've never worked anywhere that it was common to do so in the back. Techs honestly are gonna have to step up their technology game as EV comes to stay and less work under the hood is needed....

I too am of the mindset of "privacy isn't real". When customers tell me they don't want to program their home address into the car I ask them where they keep their registration card. There are a few who keep it in their wallet, but that's pretty rare and paranoid IMO. I doubt someone who buys your used XC90 is going to drive to your house states away to see if the garage door opener still works. Your address being on the internet tied to nothing other than a car you don't own anymore is really not a scary thing... your neighbors might even have nicer homes than you.

However, you can call them up and ask them to wipe it for you. They shouldn't have a problem doing that.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
You won't be able to reset it remotely... and it's not common practice for a dealership to do a reset. It's annoying... I try to do it before delivery on cars, but I've never worked anywhere that it was common to do so in the back. Techs honestly are gonna have to step up their technology game as EV comes to stay and less work under the hood is needed....

I too am of the mindset of "privacy isn't real". When customers tell me they don't want to program their home address into the car I ask them where they keep their registration card. There are a few who keep it in their wallet, but that's pretty rare and paranoid IMO. I doubt someone who buys your used XC90 is going to drive to your house states away to see if the garage door opener still works. Your address being on the internet tied to nothing other than a car you don't own anymore is really not a scary thing... your neighbors might even have nicer homes than you.

However, you can call them up and ask them to wipe it for you. They shouldn't have a problem doing that.
Unlikely given the clientele of Volvo, but not impossible. Would still be good practice to do a factory reset. Takes but a minute.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I agree that its super easy. I just have never worked at a shop where it's done. Call it lazy, that's what it is. I reset whenever I have time before a delivery so I start fresh, but I don't always have time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts