SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1998 S70 T5 sedan with 5 speed manual transmission, black leather interior, and 270K miles. This is not your average high mileage Volvo. Extensive maintenance has been done by independent Volvo techs over my six years of ownership to make it a reliable daily driver with rewarding performance and handling. Here are the highlights from the last 70K miles:

- Timing belt, water pump, PCV system, and rear wheel bearings replaced at 240K.
- Entire suspension was refreshed with new parts at 238K. Sachs shocks, OEM turbo springs, HD control arms and spring seats. Engine mounts and CV joint boots as well.
- Heater core and A/C evaporator replaced at 233K. The weak brackets inside the dash were rebuilt better than new at this time. You will hear zero squeaks from this dash.
- A/C condenser replaced at 225K. A/C system recharged this summer.
- New power steering rack, oil cooler seals and lines, and camshaft position sensor at 207K. Rear cam seals at 242K. Car is aligned to factory specs.
- Most recent tune up at 261K with Volvo plugs and wires. Transmission fluid flushed.
- Professionally repainted 16” Volvo “Meteor” wheels with new Pirellis (less than 5K miles on them).

The clutch, pressure plate, and hydraulics were done at 160K and still engage smoothly. The engine and turbo run strong with no leaks, and I change the oil with Mobil1 10W30 every 4K miles. This T5M also has some desirable modifications:

- V70R front bumper with fog lights and XC70 ‘egg crate’ front grille.
- Custom cat back dual exhaust with twin Magnaflow mufflers exiting through V70 AWD rear bumper. Includes OEM mud guards.
- V70R front seats, steering wheel, gauge cluster, door panels, aluminum trim, rear cup holders, and floormats. This is a nicer and more durable interior than a standard S70.
- SC900 radio with in-dash CD changer and custom auxiliary input for your phone.
- 850R clutch with Sconeman short shift plate and box bushings in the M56 transmission, plus Summit Engineering brass shift cable bushings.
- IPD anti-sway bars, HD end links, strut tower brace, torque mount, firewall mount, and poly subframe bushings tighten up the handling.
- OEM ‘white’ fuel injectors for better flow, an XC70 ECU reflash for more advanced ignition timing, and an angle flange 16T turbo installed about 100K miles ago.
- IPD MSD ignition coil. Samco upper and lower radiator hoses. K&N air filter.
- Stainless steel brake lines front and rear. OEM pads and rotors for quietness.
- BTCC-style dual oil filler ports with IPD HD seals. Add oil more quickly ;)

This has been a west coast car its entire life until I moved to Norwalk, CT three years ago. It was sold new in Vancouver and still has its Canadian door sticker. The second owner was a Volvo tech at a dealer in Bellingham, WA named Danny Melville. He was on Volvospeed.com and did a lot of modifications to the car including a larger turbo. He also converted it to a manual transmission, it was originally automatic. This was done well and you won’t notice the conversion, it drives and shifts as it should. Danny removed some of the performance mods and sold it to the third owner in SoCal, who changed the oil every 3K miles with Mobil1. I bought it from him in 2012 with 206K miles on the odometer, and did all the sorting that needed to be done to make it a durable, well-rounded, nicely-performing daily driver. With the cosmetic, suspension, and light engine mods the car has now, it looks and drives “the way it should have come from the factory” in my opinion. It’s a lot of fun, very stable and comfortable on long trips at speed, and the turbo boost pushes you back in the ergonomically excellent V70R seats when you floor it. I’ve put 50K miles on this Volvo on LA freeways, driven it across the country, hauled my sons around in it and gotten compliments at local car shows. Before the move to CT, I undercoated the car and rustproofed exposed metal bits with POR15 paint. With the included set of snow tires and wheels, it will get you through all but the most severe winter weather. These days I don’t need to commute in it and I have another car, so that’s the reason for the sale.

Full disclosure:

- Paint is mostly original, it is 20 years old, and you will find numerous scratches and some chips on close inspection. I’ve touched up most of these and polished and waxed the car regularly. The worst area is the front bumper around the grille.
- When I lived in LA the car was lightly swiped at low speed in the right rear, leaving an 8 inch long, pretty deep scratch across the rear door and quarter panel. Both panels were professionally repainted with Glasurit paint, but you’ll notice a slight color difference between the two doors on the passenger side.
- When doing his mods, the second owner removed the SAS (smog pump) system. You don’t actually need it (Volvo 850s never had them) but as a result, the ECU would sometimes throw codes looking for the missing pump. My mechanic fixed this by soldering a diode into the ECU wiring. The car passes smog in CA and emissions in CT.
- Cruise control has not worked since the transmission swap.

The following extras are included with the sale, to make year round ownership practical:

- Extra set of anthracite 16” Meteors with General Altimax Artic snow tires (less than 10K miles on them).
- Weathershield HP custom fit waterproof car cover ($500 value).
- Weathertech rubber front floor mats for winter.
- Original Volvo roof rack bars with Yakima roof box for carrying extra stuff on trips.
- Assorted extra parts.

Original owner’s manual, two sets of keys, and all records from my ownership (and a few from previous owner) are also included. Clean, well-sorted T5Ms are getting harder to find. This one is ready for a new owner and 300K+ miles. $4,000. Serious buyers only. VIN YV1LS537XW3486301

Email dylan (at) dylanosborn (dot) com or PM me. Located in Norwalk, CT. **FYI I'm bringing the car to VCOA's Swedish Car Fall Meet at Secor Volvo in New London, CT this Saturday 10/6: https://sites.google.com/site/snevcoa/activities-calendar

More pics:

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
At that price you probably won't have this Volvo next week, Dylan.

Sweet Volvo except that there's no cruise control. Other than that, very nice, and yes, this is how it should have come from the factory in an "R" form.

The timing is off for me otherwise I would fly out there this weekend and pick it up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wow - very, very well sorted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Caspian3.2 and dman27! This S70"R" is my favorite of the Volvos I've owned (except maybe my 1800S - but this is faster and handles better). It's the little things, like '98 being the only year of the S70 with a throttle cable instead of coil packs. Instant throttle response. Pricing it fairly so it can go to a good home.

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
Man, that is about the perfect T5 for somebody. Wish I had room for another one. Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Great car, Caspian is right: this won't last at that price. GLWS, hope it finds a like minded home!

·
Registered
15,785 Posts
Oh, damn. Wish I had the space and the cash. Really good thing this isn't a wagon or I may be PMing you. Sweet car, man. Really well done.
I expect the mods will be changing the title to sold any day now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the compliments and good wishes! :) Tomorrow I'll be driving the S70 from Norwalk to New London, CT for the VCOA meet at Secor Volvo 10AM-2PM. It's a fun relaxed Volvo/ Saab show with cookout, refreshments, prizes etc. Happy to meet interested folks there or stop along my route if that's easier. PM or email dylan (at) dylanosborn (dot) com

https://sites.google.com/site/snevcoa/activities-calendar

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SOLD to a great home. Thanks for the compliments everyone. Wishing the new owner many happy miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts