SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We will take delivery of our new T5 Momentum next week.
The dealer will install solar film on all windows (standard here in Singapore for all brands).
Privacy tinting on the rear windows and 25% tint on both front side windows.
The dealer informed us that they will not tint the front windshield as it will interfere with the camera and radar unit and the safety features might therefore not be available or function properly.
Any insights or experiences with this issue?

Thank you!

Rumpel

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tinting a windshield is illegal in most of developed world.. That aside- I am certain it would interfere with the Intelisafe camera/radar..

·
Registered
78 Posts
The tinting goes around where all the intellisafe senors are where the mirror is. I did mine in a light tint- no problems

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I wonder if it offers some protection from rock damage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Not much as it's on the inside. And as a previous poster mentioned it is trimmed around the cameras.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have my side and rear windows tinted with SunTek CIR 50% and the front windshield tinted with SunTek CIR 70%.

The infra-red blocking properties are very good, and helps to make the car much more comfortable when parking the car on a hot day. I generally only need to run the a/c on low to maintain temperature even when the sun is out and temps are around 90F.

That said, I would pick Llumar AirBlue 80 instead for the front windshield as it transmits more light at night than the CIR 70 without impacting the IR rejecting properties during the day.

There are several premium window films available, and it's best to talk to an experienced local installer in order to see which would work best for you, and what they would be comfortable installing.

Installing a tint on your front windshield will not impact the function of your Intellisafe system, but it is almost always considered illegal by local law enforcement... so proceed at your own risk. It will extremely difficult to tell whether you have the front windshield done if a high quality installer has done it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Not much as it's on the inside. And as a previous poster mentioned it is trimmed around the cameras.
When I was having my clear bra installed I saw another car there in the shop getting some sort of clear film applied to the outside of their windshield and conflated the two thoughtlessly.....of course tinting goes on the inside.....(brain fart on my part)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
I believe that when applying window tints if they don't have a template they set the tint on the outside to trace the boundaries before applying it to the inside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tinting goes around where all the intellisafe senors are where the mirror is. I did mine in a light tint- no problems
OP here.
I have to clarify, the legal limit for rear and rear side windows is 25% light pass and for the windshield and front side windows 70% light pass.
And everyone is doing it, as the sun is really strong here.
So that is what i want to get for my XC60.

No problems with the intellisafe so far?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
When we bought our S80 a couple years ago the po had installed airblue on the windshield. I eventually had to have it removed because it interfered too much with my polarized glasses.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had the Llumar clear UV tint windshield tint applied to our 1st generation XC60 and it is perfectly clear with no distortion. There is a noticeable reduction in radiant solar energy transmitted.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have "Solar X" installed on the top 6" of the windshield. That is the max allowed here in Florida. Does not interfere with the camera functions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have Llumar Air 80 on my front windshield and do not have any issues with my polarized sunglasses (Ray-Bans).

Nobody needs to worry about the police giving you a ticket because the tint is so light it is not at all noticeable from the outside nor the inside.

There is a slight reduction in image sharpness though. It is not noticeable if you keep your focus on the road ahead of you and not on the glass.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just had the whole car done. 3M Crystaline for the windshield. It has no tint but has high heat rejection. The rest of the car was done in Llumar CTX nano ceramic at the legal max allowed for my state for the front windows on the driver/passenger door and the same Brand but nearly clear for the rest of the car which already came tinted. Car stays very cool especially here where we are at almost 6,000 ft.

Interesting that car manufacturers do not offeradequate UV protection from the factory. If nothing else, at least as an option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello, OP here,

I have my XC60 T5 now for 9 days and I am very happy so far. Great car.
Tomorrow the windshield is going to be tinted with 70% light pass foil.
The front side windows had been tinted upon delivery with it and the rear window and rear side windows with a 25% light pass foil.
I'll keep you posted if it's going to affect the intellisafe. I cross my fingers and put my trust 'rjdi' and 'bogdan p'.
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, OP here,

I have my XC60 T5 now for 9 days and I am very happy so far. Great car.
Tomorrow the windshield is going to be tinted with 70% light pass foil.
The front side windows had been tinted upon delivery with it and the rear window and rear side windows with a 25% light pass foil.
I'll keep you posted if it's going to affect the intellisafe. I cross my fingers and put my trust 'rjdi' and 'bogdan p'.
Thanks
Hello, any feedbacks can you give did you have any issues with intellisafe etc? and which brand did you use

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I just had the whole car done. 3M Crystaline for the windshield. It has no tint but has high heat rejection. The rest of the car was done in Llumar CTX nano ceramic at the legal max allowed for my state for the front windows on the driver/passenger door and the same Brand but nearly clear for the rest of the car which already came tinted. Car stays very cool especially here where we are at almost 6,000 ft.

Interesting that car manufacturers do not offeradequate UV protection from the factory. If nothing else, at least as an option.
My local tint shop showed me this windshield tint I believe similar to yours and I was astonished with the amount of heat rejection it offered. It was a bit pricey but I'm thinking about doing it in at least one of our vehicles. My one concern though is how it would be during the winter time.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
OP here.
I have to clarify, the legal limit for rear and rear side windows is 25% light pass and for the windshield and front side windows 70% light pass.
And everyone is doing it, as the sun is really strong here.
So that is what i want to get for my XC60.

No problems with the intellisafe so far?
Thanks.
We probably need to make a distinction between windshield films for the purpose of stone chip protection, which is installed on the outer surface just like paint protection film and headlight protection film, versus window films for the purpose of heat or light reduction, which is installed on the inner surface.

If the film is installed on the outer surface, I might see why it has a higher chance to interfere with Intellisafe under certain conditions as it may affect the optical clarity of the forward facing camera.

Another consideration for either inside or outside application is whether the film contain material that can reflect RF signal, as the Intellisafe uses both optical and radar, iirc. Some window film may attenuate RF signal (e.g. from cell towers or FM radio), and thus should be avoided. In practice, the Intellisafe radar may or may not be able to overcome the RF attenuation, depending on the film chosen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello OP here,

The window film is installed for about 7 weeks now and we are very happy with it.
The heat rejection is great and the pilot assist, ACC and Intellisafe work as before. (City Assist just worked a tad too early this morning in stop and go traffic).
For clarification: The film is installed on the inside of the windscreen.

OK.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts