SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ES sits in the garage most of the time. I think the alarm system does slow drain on the battery, which is rather small.

1. Good idea to use a small solar charger (about $30) to keep the battery up?

2. Is the cigar lighter the best place to plug into?

3. Or should I just drive it more often.....?

Opinions/experience?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I have one of those small solar panels for keeping up the battery charge. In the day it charged the battery and after sundown it drained it. Now I use a small plug-in 2amp charger to maintain battery charge and it works fine.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Battery tender.

But, if you do use a solar one, you can find ones that prevent reverse flow(discharge), just have to pay a lil more.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Battery tender.

But, if you do use a solar one, you can find ones that prevent reverse flow(discharge), just have to pay a lil more.
And probably a lot more if you live in Canuckistan ... don't ask me how I know. :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
My ES sits in the garage most of the time. I think the alarm system does slow drain on the battery, which is rather small.

1. Good idea to use a small solar charger (about $30) to keep the battery up?

2. Is the cigar lighter the best place to plug into?

3. Or should I just drive it more often.....?

Opinions/experience?
Be certain the battery and charging system are in perfect condition.

Purchase and install a cigarette lighter plugin maintenance battery backup device to power the alarm system.

With the battery fully-charged disconnect the negative battery cable confirming that the alarm system is still powered.

Now purchase a battery tender (without charger). This device does not charge a low battery but does maintain the battery at full charge without cooking the water (fumes will eat metal, rubber, plastic, etc.) and will keep the battery in perfect condition for many months.

George Dill

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Sorry for the late acknowledgment...

Be certain the battery and charging system are in perfect condition.

Purchase and install a cigarette lighter plugin maintenance battery backup device to power the alarm system.

With the battery fully-charged disconnect the negative battery cable confirming that the alarm system is still powered.

Now purchase a battery tender (without charger). This device does not charge a low battery but does maintain the battery at full charge without cooking the water (fumes will eat metal, rubber, plastic, etc.) and will keep the battery in perfect condition for many months.

George Dill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts