SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I made a software upgrade (size 550MB)
The system is much more rapid, the maps appear on the driver's display 50% faster than before

I did not have the opportunity to test a new software upgrade for the engine (a problem with rapid acceleration) I hope they finally did it

·
Registered
170 Posts
Today, I made a software upgrade (size 550MB)
The system is much more rapid, the maps appear on the driver's display 50% faster than before

I did not have the opportunity to test a new software upgrade for the engine (a problem with rapid acceleration) I hope they finally did it
Did you do this yourself or from the dealer? If you did it yourself where did you download it form?

What is the latest version number you installed?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,915 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you buy the OBDII-Ethernet cable, and 3-day VIDA subscription, you can install software updates too.
I asked the technician in a Volvo service station and he replied that there was no possibility of upgrading the software in that way for all modules

FYI: you do not have access to engine management system optimization

·
Registered
879 Posts
If you buy the OBDII-Ethernet cable, and 3-day VIDA subscription, you can install software updates too.
I cant wait for a customer to turn their car "upside down" attempting to download something like a 600mb total upgrade. I have software fail and shut down vehicles for hours with ideal and perfect conditions in a shop for no reason.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I cant wait for a customer to turn their car "upside down" attempting to download something like a 600mb total upgrade. I have software fail and shut down vehicles for hours with ideal and perfect conditions in a shop for no reason.
I was thinking the same thing. Why do it yourself when they are free? Once you're out of warranty, buy the service or pay for the upgrade if your dealer will let you. I shoulsnt risk it on a SPA car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Why do it yourself when they are free? Once you're out of warranty, buy the service or pay for the upgrade if your dealer will let you. I shoulsnt risk it on a SPA car.
I am scheduled for our first maintenance @ 10k next month. Will the dealership automatically update the software?

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
People already did it successfully.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Never said it was impossible. I do them successfully all the time. But like gunshow, I've also seen them crash for no reason and lock up IHUs or need new VCMs. Those modules aren't cheap.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So far I've done 3 or 4 "total upgrades" myself without issue.

I even had a VIDA tech support person (after a new platform update broke DIY updates) yell at me saying "I've never seen a car have so many updates, what are you trying to do to it?".

My answer: "keep it up to date?". Like that's somehow a bad thing?

Never had a failed download, never had a Sensus crash, and always have had fairly smooth performance (except slow boot, obviously) since I've owned it.

You do have to use a relatively high current and decent quality battery charger to keep the 12V rail stable during long updates... And you should always treat the update process carefully, like flashing a BIOS on a computer... But if you follow the instructions exactly, I've yet to see something "dangerous" about DIY updates.

I am quite "tech savvy", as I work as a systems analyst, but I don't see why other similarly inclined folks would have a problem? If it bricks a module and you followed the VIDA procedures, that's on Volvo to fix/replace, as you are not violating the warranty by using VIDA as described in the Volvo documentation. Shrug.

The other thing I personally do is dump the entire software module list to a PDF after each update. Then I can diff the PDFs to see exactly what modules were upgraded each time. Quite interesting to see... Like the 4-5 updates to the ASDM (MobileEye/Pilot Assist) since I took delivery last August?

Volvo doesn't publish full change logs, so it's really the only way to know exactly what's been updated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What if the module crash down, ie it does not succeed in upgrading
Do you know how much it costs, why to take risks if something is free
It's not free. It's only free during a service visit, which is typically only once a year. Otherwise, all my local dealers charge for the software, and the hourly rate is more than a 3 day VIDA subscription.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There's also special modes accessible to help recover "failed" flashes. And in SPA cars, the upgrade process is improved with Ethernet-to-Can as opposed to the old DiCE interfaces.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Depends on how bad the crash is. Sometimes we have to get Volvo to remote access the vehicle and put in secret software or we can get lucky my reloading each individual module that went "offline" or "upside down".

If you turn the car upside down yourself, you are on the hook for a tow bill and probably a minimum of 2-3 hours and how much all the reload softwares cost.

ALSO, if you fry a module by turning it upside down as I have seen with IHU's back in the day, thats about $2300 just for the IHU :D Good luck on getting Volvo to warranty something you fried.

·
Registered
879 Posts
There's also special modes accessible to help recover "failed" flashes. And in SPA cars, the upgrade process is improved with Ethernet-to-Can as opposed to the old DiCE interfaces.
Not sure what "special modes" you are talking about... maybe you should teach a volvo class.

The upgrade is no less or more reliable than DICE. In fact, I would say LESS reliable due to the random failures we get on SPA vehicles which never occurred with DICE on older vehicles.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It's not free. It's only free during a service visit, which is typically only once a year. Otherwise, all my local dealers charge for the software, and the hourly rate is more than a 3 day VIDA subscription.
Upgrades are free.
I made 3 upgrades, one was on regular service after a year and the other two only software upgrades, probably depending on the market

Too complicated for ordinary users and I think it's not available outside the service.
Volvo is limited as far as tools and software upgrades are out of service, compared to Audi (VCDS, VAG CAN PRO, ODIS-S, ODIS-E, X431 Launch, OBDeleven ................) or BMW ( ISTA-D ISTA-P , E-sys, X431 Launch.......)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Truth is that since all new cars are having Volvo on Call or whatever other makers call it, which VoC we pay for it, such software updates should be happening the Tesla style, OTA with a warning to do them only overnight or at a time that the car will not be used for x amount of time. I believe in the future this will be the case and customers will not have to wait for their annual (in most cases) service appointment to receive all new and most important safety related features, which should be available to all instantly, (especially if you a car manufacturer who aims in no lethal accidents by next year.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Although I am tech savvy, my risk assessment overwhelmingly swings to have trained technicians install the total software / service 2.0 updates.

Complimentary software updates (which I get about 2-3 times per year) installed by trained technicians are good enough and soon enough for me.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The industry is moving to full free updates. Volvo needs to get with the times. The idea we can't have these updates except every 10k is ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts