SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I figured out that the prior owner of my car with all the service records they had, never did any of the software updates. I can tell this as I have the trip computer problem of it resetting at anything over 600 miles. Anyone know if this is something that is/was suppose to be covered by Volvo for free or you have to pay for the updates yourself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
They were usually done when the car was in for service.
Now I told them not to do updates after I had IPD flash my ECU. I didn't want to have to have it redone.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the car has no tune, just this annoying trip computer reset after 600 miles. I have to ask another dealer but one told me it was like $190 for the updates.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The updates were never free unless it was under the regular new car warranty except for the recent Service For Life (I think that is the name of that program) promo where dealers, if they choose to, can do certain upgrades free.
The upgrades are either done as part of a total upgrade package or individually.

I know we gripe about dealers but I have rarely had any professional service provider do much for free. Especially with little or no chance of business. The times you get stuff for free it is usually because you have been a past regular customer or the business has some belief the complimentary service will bring in future business.

In the car biz owners of R's, Subaru STI's, Mustang GT's, Camaro SS, and a few other likely to be modded enthusiasts cars have poor return for service track records.

Just being honest here.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh for sure, and really I can't stand the dealer thats closest to me for anything. But that answers the questions so I guess the software fix for the trip computer I"ll have to pay. Have to love a software glitch that you have to pay to fix after the fact. Oh well life goes on.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Is it really worth it to fix the Odo?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I can't find the info, but I believe your Volvo dealer will do the software updates for free along with any scheduled maintenance service. Of course, you'll pay out the wazoo to have them change the air filter and spark plugs, but you'll get the updates at no charge.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well to fix the trip computers it is annoying since they do reset but at $190 I'm not finding it that annoying yet lol.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I know that there was a tsb for the odo issue, at least on 06 cars. Also, jozooka is right. Volvo rolled out a program a year or two ago that the dealer would do free software updates if the car was in for a specific problem, etc. i would search here for the details and call your dealer....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts