SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had another thread about car in the shop, found out today that the Volvo CPO warranty doesn't cover software reinstalls. Apparently my AC is not working, and the issue is the software to the damper motors for the AC vents needs to be reinstalled once the vents are mechanically adjusted. <br>The warranty people inform me that I need the motors or vents or something to mechanically fail, but that software issues are not covered under the warranty? WTF? Has anyone dealt with this before? Is this just another way that Volvo bends consumers over and I have to take it? They want @$250 to do the work. The other Volvo shop in town is the same price.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Software updates to fix A/C is not covered? (CaptainObvious)

1. Software downloads for a warrantied problem are indeed covered under CPO or VIP warranty.<p>2. As mentioned in the other thread did you try the self-calibration? Or did no one ever link a thread to that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Software updates to fix A/C is not covered? (Needsdecaf)

Found several threads now that I have the better idea on what I was looking for.<p>Separate question about #1 Software downloads for a warrantied problem are indeed covered under CPO or VIP warranty.<p>Anyone have suggestions on how to dig my heels in on this? When I called, the warranty people, said the same thing that the service person said. Since the issue is not a mechanical issue, but is a software issue, the repairs are not covered. I asked the warranty people where on the paperwork it specifies that mechanical failure IS but software ISN'T covered, they simply advised that software isn't. Anyone have this problem before? Any suggestions? I am looking at my Total Care Volvo warranty document purchased through Volvo.

·
Registered
262 Posts

I have had to get several software downloads for me VR lately, and my dealer didn't charge me for anything. I had to get them DIM software update as the tripometer sometimes reset itself. There was a TNN on this, and they gave me no issues about it. I just had to have some A/C work done, they replaced a fan motor and module last week, and then did a complete software update on the CCM. Everything was covered under the CPO and didn't cost me a penny. Maybe some dealers just interpret the warranty different.<p>Adam

·
Registered
2,124 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>CaptainObvious</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Had another thread about car in the shop, found out today that the Volvo CPO warranty doesn't cover software reinstalls. <B>Apparently my AC is not working,</B> and the issue is the software to the damper motors for the AC vents needs to be reinstalled once the vents are mechanically adjusted. <br>The warranty people inform me that I need the motors or vents or something to mechanically fail, but that software issues are not covered under the warranty? WTF? Has anyone dealt with this before? Is this just another way that Volvo bends consumers over and I have to take it? They want @$250 to do the work. The other Volvo shop in town is the same price.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I would just play the role of a typical customer at this point, and say my A/C is not working. If they need to replace stepper motors, recalibrate with S/W, upload CCM, or sprinkle it with pixie dust, just fix the problem, and it should all be under warranty. They can not do just half the job.<p>Software/firmware is such a huge piece of any modern car, if Volvo does not warrant it, it pretty much negates the value of even having a warranty. <p>I realize the dealer is trying to screw you out of warranty money, and I might just let them go ahead and do it, pay it under protest, having a good log of all you have talked to, etc. Make it clear you are looking only for a repair, not any type of upgrade. Give VCNA a chance, then go to BBB. The dealer will ultimately just claim a "misunderstanding", but they need to get spanked by VCNA, (which will do nothing), or the BBB.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Why wouldn't it be covered? Seriously, call your warranty administrator, that's insane for them to say it's not covered. <p>Downloads that aren't part of a repair (i.e. the flash-on-unlock software) is not covered. But I've had other software covered all day long.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Re: Software updates to fix A/C is not covered? (Needsdecaf)

<A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerouser?cmd=viewprofile&id=28523" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...28523</A><p>Maybe shoot ^ a email seems pretty nice and helpful and he works for VCNA see what he says about your issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts