SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I recently had an oil change and regular maintenance done, which they charged me a few hundred dollars for, but it included a "free software update". Fine.

2. 2-3 days later, my windshield began to leak huge droplets of rain along the top left corner on the driver's side such that water was dripping onto the steering wheel. I covered it with a thick towel, taped the windshield, and brought it to the dealership. They showed me the gap between the glass and the car by pressing the glass outward. They said the primer had failed and charged $420 to have the entire piece of glass popped off and then resealed. There is apparently a class action lawsuit against Volvo for this issue because everyone seems to have the exact same problem, always right along the top area of the glass on the driver's side.

3. The sunroof button stopped working after the software update, but they reset the software and the button started to work again.

4. 2 weeks later, the car just stopped working altogether. The key fob got stuck. Flashed multiple ridiculous warnings. Screen went dark. Had to be towed to the dealership.

Today they told me that the issue is a faulty R DAR module, whose normal job it is to turn off the satellite receiver when the car and the radio are off. But when the module malfunctions, (like basically everyone's will at some point), the car will keep pinging for connection to the satellite using the car battery even when everything is off. So the battery drains. It does not matter if you've never turned on the radio, or ever connected to the SIRIUSXM service, they said.

They quoted me a parts, labor, software re-download cost of $1100.

No wonder there is at least one class action lawsuit against Volvo for this faulty R DAR module issue!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Gosh.. that's rough man. Off the top of my head I know nothing about the RDAR module. My thoughts though: get a module used from somewhere online. Replace yourself and have them load the software. Only thing I'm unsure of is if the module is VIN specific like the CEM behind the radio.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sounds like pretty normal stuff for an older XC60. I've had to do all of that to my wife's XC60 and I've seen many other XC60's with the same repairs.

·
Registered
798 Posts
You don’t mention what model year XC60 you have. There are two software updates. One is the Volvo 2.0 update and the other is the RDAR update. The RDAR update should have addressed the Sirius parasitic draw. Both are covered under warranty and out of warranty. This issue has long been known by Volvo dealers. Yet, if you read the accounts throughout this forum about multiple dead batteries, low battery charge warning, and Sirius parasitic draw, you’ll find repeat occurrences where dealers never seem to have gotten the service memo. Search Swedespeed and you’ll find the actual service bulletins posted. You may need to go back to the dealer with them in hand and question the charges.

·
Registered
611 Posts
One is the Volvo 2.0 update and the other is the RDAR update. The RDAR update should have addressed the Sirius parasitic draw. Both are covered under warranty and out of warranty.
Incorrect. The RDAR update is not a warranty item if the vehicle is out of warranty, customer has to pay for the update. Also, the service 2.0 update only costs .01 so most dealers do not charge for it, but it is also not a warranty item if the vehicle is outside warranty parameters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do all my own maintanance on our 13 Xc60 but when the windshield started leaking last year the Volvo dealership in Kansas City repaired for free and let us drive around in a loaded out xc90 it was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
Incorrect. The RDAR update is not a warranty item if the vehicle is out of warranty, customer has to pay for the update. Also, the service 2.0 update only costs .01 so most dealers do not charge for it, but it is also not a warranty item if the vehicle is outside warranty parameters.
Might be semantics, but as explained to me by the Volvo dealer that did both software updates on my 2014 XC60, the two updates are included with scheduled maintenance in or out of warranty. No, you can’t simply ask for an update, but there is no charge if they diagnose issues the software can fix. This was the Volvo service manager’s “official” interpretation of the 2.0 and RDAR updates. The 2.0 was shown on my invoice as “CEM upgrade (N/C)” and the other as “RDAR update (N/C)”.

In my case, my car had a brand new non-OEM battery and I was getting a low battery charge warning. I had to pay a $75 diagnostic fee and buy a new Volvo battery to bring it into spec, to which they applied the $75 ($300 in total). They still detected a parasitic draw so did the 2.0 update as I originally requested. Three days later, I went back because I was still getting the low charge message. They apologized and admitted their mistake. The tech thought the RDAR update was included in the 2.0 upgrade and did not realize it was actually a separate update.

If other dealers charge .01, what is the point to say it is not free? Is that merely to give the dealership discretion or just make customers come into a dealership for scheduled maintenance?

FYI, after both software updates the car still gives a low battery charge message if the radio runs 5 minutes after the ignition is turned off or the hatch is left open while unloading groceries.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
1. I recently had an oil change and regular maintenance done, which they charged me a few hundred dollars for, but it included a "free software update". Fine.

2. 2-3 days later, my windshield began to leak huge droplets of rain along the top left corner on the driver's side such that water was dripping onto the steering wheel. I covered it with a thick towel, taped the windshield, and brought it to the dealership. They showed me the gap between the glass and the car by pressing the glass outward. They said the primer had failed and charged $420 to have the entire piece of glass popped off and then resealed. There is apparently a class action lawsuit against Volvo for this issue because everyone seems to have the exact same problem, always right along the top area of the glass on the driver's side.

3. The sunroof button stopped working after the software update, but they reset the software and the button started to work again.

4. 2 weeks later, the car just stopped working altogether. The key fob got stuck. Flashed multiple ridiculous warnings. Screen went dark. Had to be towed to the dealership.

Today they told me that the issue is a faulty R DAR module, whose normal job it is to turn off the satellite receiver when the car and the radio are off. But when the module malfunctions, (like basically everyone's will at some point), the car will keep pinging for connection to the satellite using the car battery even when everything is off. So the battery drains. It does not matter if you've never turned on the radio, or ever connected to the SIRIUSXM service, they said.

They quoted me a parts, labor, software re-download cost of $1100.

No wonder there is at least one class action lawsuit against Volvo for this faulty R DAR module issue!
Hi, I like others had the windshield leak. Dealer wanted $120 to diagnose the leak. I told them no way am I paying you $120 to tell me the windshield is leaking. That's why I'm here, it leaks whenever I wash the damn thing. They fixed it for free, I was out of warranty coverage.

Ours is a 2013. Just went into the dealer for it's THIRD battery. Dealer wouldn't do RDAR upgragde for free, said there was nothing wrong with it despite a new battery every 3 years. I contacted Volvo customer care, having RDAR update done for free next week. I think once I mentioned the class action lawsuit they went and approved it for the dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
4. 2 weeks later, the car just stopped working altogether. The key fob got stuck. Flashed multiple ridiculous warnings. Screen went dark.
This sounds like your battery is going - I had numerous "funnies" ending up with this exact situation. Replaced the battery and none of the gremlins recurred ...

·
Registered
798 Posts
What timing... just saw this thread about Volvo USA discontinuing complimentary software updates as of August 1. What a terrible move! It’s like saying not enough owners came in for service or knew about the free upgrade, so let’s charge them for it. This is the opposite of service retention. Rather than figure out why Volvo USA’s goodwill failed, they decide to penalize the remaining owners who did not know about it. Here’s the thread from the XC60 Spa forum:

Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free :thumbdown:

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

Do NOT ASK ME WHY.... I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ELSE!!

I recommend writing Volvo Cars USA and express your concern/anger/disappointment as I feel the same as you
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?603581-No-more-free-software-updates

·
Registered
33 Posts
leaky windshield

Does anyone have any further information about the class-action lawsuit previously mentioned in the original post? My 2010 T6 started leaking near the left corner, right above the steering wheel about 2.5 years ago. Doesn't leak in the rain, only when going through car-washes. I small rivulet of water will run down the inside of the windshield and drip on the steering wheel.
I haven't found a Volvo dealership who will touch it and most third-party glass shops won't offer any guarantees that they won't break it, so I've postponed fixing a minor issue in fear of having to replace a $400+ windshield and get all the windshield sensors reattached and calibrated. It is getting noticeably worse now, however, and I just noticed some slight water stains on the leading edge of the headliner a few days ago.

Seems like we should have some sort of recourse or options to have this repaired since it is such a prevalent problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 2013 XC60. Rain, melted snow, and car washes result in water running down the inside of the windshield from a broken top seal. Took it to a dealer yesterday. The technician confirmed the leak (it was raining that day) and physically pushed the top of the windshield up and away from the frame of the car to confirm the seal was broken. He checked with Volvo corporate and they said they wouldn't repair it due to my car having too many miles (haha). It has 115k miles.

There currently is not a recall on this issue, but I've found dozens of other Volvo owners experiencing the same issue online. The only way Volvo will issue a recall is if there are enough documented complaints submitted by us, the consumers. If you are experiencing this windshield leak issue with your Volvo, please file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Go to File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA. Select the category: Visibility/Wiper. In your own words, make a point of describing how the water running down the inside of the windshield and resulting condensation obstructs your vision while driving. I did it this morning. It was pretty fast and easy, and felt good to try to bring some justice to Volvo corporate.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Bring some justice? Geez, people are dramatic. Everyone thinks everything should last forever. I can see if it was a year out of warranty. But when a car is 8 years old, it's time to start taking responsibility for repairing and maintaining it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Tech Fair enough regarding my choice of wording. However, the consumer shouldn't need to "take responsibility for repairing and maintaining" a widely reported manufacturing defect. What other cars do you know of that have the windshield detach from the frame on a regular basis?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Bring some justice? Geez, people are dramatic. Everyone thinks everything should last forever. I can see if it was a year out of warranty. But when a car is 8 years old, it's time to start taking responsibility for repairing and maintaining it.
Ordinarily I’d agree, but this windshield leak is a known issue. Plus, it’s not like it’s a maintenance item lol. Regardless of age, I can’t say I’ve ever had a windshield leak on any vehicle. But I don’t disagree with your overall sentiment, people can be dramatic about many things like this.

@EGW, maybe try a different dealer? I’ve heard most people have had little trouble getting Volvo to cover this. Mine was covered, but the car was CPO at the time, so I’m not sure it’s relevant.

Maybe also try contacting customer care (nicely, of course ;)) by email to see what they say. They’re generally pretty helpful.

Good luck,

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
@jschaefer7406 Thank you! Yes, I'm currently in communications with Volvo Customer Care and have a case number.

Based on feedback from this forum, I would have revised the 'justice' line and the criticism is fair. I'm not going to edit it, though, because I want to retain context for the replies to my original post.

And yes, the point I'm making is that no car I've ever heard of has had to have the windshield waterproof seal "maintained".

Historically, the seal is waterproof until it rots from old age, or is broken by force. Waterproof seals don't correlate with miles on the car, as some Volvo reps are attempting to attest to avoid paying for the defect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Tech True. But a recall stays in effect for the life of the vehicle. There currently isn't one for this issue, but I'm advocating for it. Because: Volvo knows their windshield defects are allowing water into the cabin space. The windshield directs the water down into the dashboard, where it could (and has, according to other owners) damage electronics and HVAC units. At minimum, water infiltration can cause mold and corrosion of interior parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to mention the fact that the dealership didn't even want to fix it. They referred me to an outside glass repair shop. I suspect from reading dozens of other owner cases that the windshield seal defect is a big enough problem that no one at Volvo knows how to fix it permanently, and because Volvo now offers a lifetime warranty on all dealership repairs they don't want to own the problem for the life of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts