SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I wonder if anyone has any idea what I just did. I was trying to get a used SUM Module to work in a 2004 V70r (30768080). I was getting essentially every code possible. So I was messing around in Vida and found the software tab. I then went to advanced. Chose SUM (20) and clicked on send reset. Now everything is green (except for the normal other codes on different modules). What did I just do?!?!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Send reset is the electronic way of starting over on a specific module. You did not hurt anything. While loading software all of the modules go to sleep except for the each module receiving SW. When the SW is complete, all of the modules wake up and go live. Once in a while a module will not wake up. The send/reset will ping that specific module to go back into normal mode. If your used SUM does stay green, you will need to go into BCM, look for a calibration for SAS?, BCM and SUM. Follow directions KOEO, turn steering wheel 15° left/right and recenter. Then click calibrate or something. There should be a calibration for the SUM.
I do not remember the exact steps to set all of this up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the explanation. That is exactly what I was trying to do...every once in a while I accidentally fix something. 👍 The codes I saw were not live only in the memory which I guess this cleared. All the codes were from the same operating cycle...every code the sum can throw so I don’t think it is faulty. The part I’m replacing is the same part number so my assumption is that a software reload is not necessary. Am I correct in assuming a configuration code were to be tripped it would happen right away?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry I don't really know the answer to your question but I was hoping you could clarify something for me. I recently had to replace my SUM module with a used one also but unfortunately now I have a SUM 0262 code (or something like that) that says there's a configuration fault. Are you saying that you had that code also but went through this software reset process and now the code is no longer present and the SUM module is green?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not exactly. I had stored codes from the donors configuration setup. It was old but still showed up. The reset cleared the old stuff As I didn’t have any active fault. I had a different module with a different part number I could never get to work. It always said configuration fault and it never worked “chassis settings service required” never went away. Such a pita what is your setup? Model year ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have an 06 that I replaced the module in but still have a configuration fault. It was my understanding that you needed to completely reload the software for that fault to go away but I might try what you did and see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m trying to remember if that specific code’s fault symptoms are that it had been used in a prior car... if so I think you have to do the reload but...I may have just accidentally hit on something here. Let me know what you experience.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yea I tried it and didn't seem to do anything. Believe I do have to do a reload.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if this module was ever properly installed in the donor car because the second I installed it, my “chassis settings service required” light disappeared. The only code that wasn’t showing up, was it had been installed in a different car. My situation might be unique. Does anyone know if you replace the module that has not been programmed into a car, that had the exact same part (only difference is serial number) if that would not require programming because it would use the same software? Simpler question: does the car store software or does the module?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts