SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my local Volvo dealer and explained what i planned to do concerning installing the sub on my v70r. They said that the software download would be $80.00! Is there anyway around this? Thats awful expensive for some keystrokes.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: software install for subwoofer (campwc)

<B>NO software is needed.</B> (That's a period there!)<br>You need another dealer as they blatently are trying to screw you

·
Registered
4,395 Posts

There is a download for V70R subwoofer installs. The manual does say there is but it doesn't say what it does. I would assume that it gives you remote bass control. <p>It is not required but you can't change the bass on the sub from the head unit. There is a dial on the sub itself for that.<p>I would NOT assume your dealer is trying to screw you, as many dealerships have probably not done many of these installs if any. Also it does state on paper that there is a download. <p>

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: software install for subwoofer (Kaizai)

BINGO to the last thread. If you would like to control your bass from the head unit, get the software.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: software install for subwoofer (Kaizai)

I've had TWO, no downloads

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: software install for subwoofer (hayabusa02)

On HU-803 cars, the sub taps into existing speaker wires to the rear so there is no sub-specific bass control.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>hayabusa02</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And can you adjust the bass control from, the head unit JRL?</TD></TR></TABLE><br>I don't think so, never tried. Once set you shouldn't have to ever change the Sub levels

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>hayabusa02</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And can you adjust the bass control from, the head unit JRL?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>How COULD you change the bass from the head unit even with software? The control on the sub is a manual dial...I doubt $80 in software would make the knob turn magically...<p>Everyone here told me, when I installed the Volvo CD changer on my S60AWD that I needed a software install. However, when I put the last wire in place and turned the car on, BOOM, CD Changer on the head unit...<p>

·
Registered
959 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>campwc</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I called my local Volvo dealer and explained what i planned to do concerning installing the sub on my v70r. They said that the software download would be $80.00! Is there anyway around this? Thats awful expensive for some keystrokes.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I have been thinking about getting the sub myself, due to the poor bass response in the head unit. What are some of the options and costs for getting this? I am assuming it is either a self install or a dealer install for a few hundred more. Thanks for the input.<br>Jim

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: software install for subwoofer (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've had TWO, no downloads</TD></TR></TABLE><p>First, the download as I said above is not <i>required</i>. So you having had two without any downloads doesn't mean that there is or is not a download that does something.<p>Second, the 2001-2004 is different from the 2005+. I would <i>assume</i> that you have had two in the 2001-2004 model year range.<p>Also, people have complained about the differen EQ setting from the 2004 to the 2005 change when the new head unit was introduced. It is possible that the download changes the EQ settings. In addition to the "sub" download there was also an "amp" download listed in the installation instructions. I would guess that there are different settings for the head unit when there is this "amp" software installed and likewise for the "sub" software.<p>Again, I am <i>guessing</i>.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

On my 2004 with -803 I didn't need the software and could get into the secret menu's and adjust the base just fine. I believe it's even in the owners manual how to get to the hidden menu's in the 803 head unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts