SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Volvo XC60

I always do my own brakes but this one stumps me. I replaced the fronts a few weeks ago, brakes worked fine. I replaced the rears today with the same brand rotor and pads, brakes work but the pedal goes to the floor before the pads will really bite.

The car will slow down if I moderately step on the brake pedal but like I said, I have to push the pedal to floor to get to stop.

I bed the brakes in, 30-0 x3, 50-0 x2, 60-0 x2, and 75-0 x2. The coating has worn off on the rotors. I read the directions after installation and it said I had to take the coating off the rotors by myself. I ALWAYS use the pads to grind the coating off and I have never had a problem. I did not take the cap off of the brake reservoir before pushing the pistons in.

Guys on other forums are saying its the pathetic electronic parking brake. I took the motor off, screwed in the motor clockwise until it stopped, then I pushed the piston in with a c clamp. The parking brake works fine but the pedal still goes to floor when the car is running. When the car is off, the pedal is firm after 2 pumps.

What gives?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Did you properly bleed the air out of brakes / calipers? Air in the line will make brake squishy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't break the hydraulic system so no.

Wife told me today that is she pumps the pedal twice, full braking force works. That tells me air in the lines but I still do not get how that could have happened.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Though you didn't open the hydraulic system, I think bleeding the brakes would be the appropriate course of action.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Strange, somehow got air in the lines. Was one of the caliper boots damaged in the process maybe? Like others have suggested, I would start with bleeding the brakes and going from there.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Strange, somehow got air in the lines. Was one of the caliper boots damaged in the process maybe? Like others have suggested, I would start with bleeding the brakes and going from there.
That or maybe the flex hose was on its last leg and developed a leak when you took caliper off maybe....

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

1 - 6 of 6 Posts