1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
One of the first few numbers in the car's VIN indicates which plant made a particular vehicle. Sorry, I forget which digit in the VIN or its exact interpretation right off my head. A dealer should be able to decipher it for you.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Yannis posted this the other day...

Hi. Here is how a MY15.5 V60 VIN breaks down:

Pos 1-3 Manufacturer code (YV is for Volvo made in Sweden or Belgium), 1 is for sedans/wagons, 4 for XC cars (XC60/XC70/XC90)
Pos 4-5 Engine version
Pos 6 Emission code (i.e. 0=SULEV+, 2=ULEV2, M=ULEV2 w/ Stop/Start, etc)
Pos 7 Vehicle series (i.e. M=V60 FWD, S=V60 AWD, H=V60CC AWD, etc)
Pos 8 Trim Level (i.e. K=Premier non R-design, M=Platinum non R-design, S=Platinum R-design)
Pos 9 Check digit (0-9 and X)
Pos 10 Model year code (in your case it is F)
Pos 11 Factory code (i.e. 1=Torslanda, 2=Ghent, B=Chengdu, etc)
Pos 12-17 Serial number (chassis)

Hope this helps.
Position 11 of the VIN tells you which plant it was built in, The first two tells you that it was made in Sweden or Belgium.

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
Yannis posted this the other day...

Position 11 of the VIN tells you which plant it was built in, The first two tells you that it was made in Sweden or Belgium.
THANKS for the information and correction...

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Vehicles up to and including the "60" series are built in Ghent, Belgium. Series from "70" and up are built in Sweden. Apparently, a limited number of cars from China are now imported to the U.S. This information was told to me by one of the Ghent plant managers on my visit there in late 2013.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Vehicles up to and including the "60" series are built in Ghent, Belgium. Series from "70" and up are built in Sweden. Apparently, a limited number of cars from China are now imported to the U.S. This information was told to me by one of the Ghent plant managers on my visit there in late 2013.
S60 Inscription(Long wheelbase) is the only Chinese built car imported to the US.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts