SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is often said that the bigger wheel size and thinner tyre, the less comfortable drive it brings - and opposite. So in theory - the most comfortable ride shall be on 18''wheels with 60mm tyres. But these wheels look a bit too small and funny for this monumental car ? Would anyone clearly recognise the ride comfort difference between 19''and 20''wheels = 55 and 45 mm tyres size ? Maybe 19''and 20''wheels are just ok for this car it does not matter which ones ? 21''and 22''already a bit extreme and too thin tyre ?

What is your experience ?

(no price consideration here - just the ride properties)

·
Registered
71 Posts
IMO, I like the ride of a vehicle with a tire that has a taller sidewall. May not "look" good but by far, taller side wall has more flex to it and absorbs road shock better than a tire with a small height side wall.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am perfectly happy with the ride on the 20" wheels on my ride (no air suspension). There is more road noise than expected, but I think that has more to do with the construction of the XC90 than the tires.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It is often said that the bigger wheel size and thinner tyre, the less comfortable drive it brings - and opposite. So in theory - the most comfortable ride shall be on 18''wheels with 60mm tyres. But these wheels look a bit too small and funny for this monumental car ? Would anyone clearly recognise the ride comfort difference between 19''and 20''wheels = 55 and 45 mm tyres size ? Maybe 19''and 20''wheels are just ok for this car it does not matter which ones ? 21''and 22''already a bit extreme and too thin tyre ?

What is your experience ?

(no price consideration here - just the ride properties)
I don't have my XC90 yet, so can't directly comment.

But just one small correction. The number 60, 55, 45, etc. on the tire isn't a measurement of the size in mm or inches. Rather it represents the aspect ratio; i.e., it's a measure of the relative size of the sidewall of the tire expressed as a percentage of the width of the tire. So it's 55% of 235mm for the 19" tires, or 45% of 275mm for the 20" tires, or 40% of 275mm for the 21" tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've got the Pirelli's with the 20-inch wheels. I'm contemplating dedicated snow tires - and possibly a different set of rims.

Also note: there's two versions of the 2016 XC90 ... the T6 and the T8. The T8 can't run all the rims / wheels that the T6 can due to larger breaks and heavier weight.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have the momentum 19" wheels with the stock suspension. If I would have ordered the vehicle, I'm sure I would have gone with the 20" because they look awesome, aren't terribly expensive and I don't think the ride would be much worse. I found it interesting that the 19" wheels are shod with 235s as appose to 275s for the 20"-22"s. It should have better fuel economy and be a little better cutting through the snow. Ideally, I'd make these 19"s dedicated snow shoes and pick up larger rims with summer tires. We'll see.....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine will be 20''summer tyres and 19''winter tyres. Coming next week :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I've got the 21" Inscription upgrades and have no complains on ride quality. Most people riding in the car comment how nice it rides...
Did test drive 21" with air suspension and it was better - mostly at evening out the jarring road buttons and small potholes.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Another option is to get keep the 19" rims but negotiate to change the tires with higher sidewalls. It would fill the wheel well more and be more comfortable to ride that 20"+. Best of both worlds?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Another option is to get keep the 19" rims but negotiate to change the tires with higher sidewalls. It would fill the wheel well more and be more comfortable to ride that 20"+. Best of both worlds?
That would change the overall diameter of the tire/wheel package and probably speedo calibration.

Mike

·
Registered
826 Posts
Not if you make sure your the same diameter than the 20"-22" Volvo offers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
We have the inscription with 21 inch wheels and Air, and really like the ride.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We will run the 20 inch R design wheels at first. The T5 stock wheels are 18" and I think look great. These can be had for about $350 per wheel and would do great with a set of Nokian winter tires.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have 20" wheel on air suspension. The decision was driven by cost of replacement followed closely by comfort and looks. The 21" tires are not common and as such very expensive and seem difficult to find.

Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts