SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they have to be the same height and width? Does the computer get confused by the tires rotating at different speeds front to back?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I dont see why they would have to be the same width, but height would make sense. I don't know a whole lot about the Volvo AWD system but I'd imagine running a taller or shorter tire front to back would be bound to f*** something up. Id also think it would mess your handling up big time.

Are you looking to run a different size rims front to back?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Stagger widths not diameter and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Pm foreveradvanced he is running a staggered set up

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am wanting to run 225/40/18 front and 265/35/18 in the rear (or 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear) on the stock 18" pegs.

I dont see why they would have to be the same width, but height would make sense. I don't know a whole lot about the Volvo AWD system but I'd imagine running a taller or shorter tire front to back would be bound to f*** something up. Id also think it would mess your handling up big time.

Are you looking to run a different size rims front to back?
Actually I like a looser sidewall on the back to induce a little oversteer. I've done this a number of times in the past with cars that tend to feel nose heavy. For my driving style it has worked well. But I'm wondering specifically about how the 4C/DTCS will react.

Pm foreveradvanced he is running a staggered set up
Thanks.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am wanting to run 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 in the rear on the stock 18" pegs.
The overall diameter difference between those two sizes is 1/10 of an inch (2.5 mm). I cant see that making much of a difference to the AWD.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
i run 255/55/18 on my 18" pegs that i had on my xc90, 255 is wide 265 will be really pushing it.

265/35/18 are pretty expensive tires to just "try" and see if they fit. i would like to know what works too

·
Registered
598 Posts
i run 255/55/18 on my 18" pegs that i had on my xc90, 255 is wide 265 will be really pushing it.

265/35/18 are pretty expensive tires to just "try" and see if they fit. i would like to know what works too
Can you please post a pic of this setup? I'd like to see how the 255s look on the stock legs even though you're are 55s.

Tha is!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're doing it for over steering? Get sways.
I have IPD sways. Maybe I need a smaller sway on the front. But I like the feel of a loser rear sidewall when I'm engaged in a spirited drive.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I feel like i've read something on the forum that says the AWD likes to have the diamateres of wheels and tires within a certain tolerance of eachother, otherwise the stress created on the AWD system trying to rotate different diameter wheels all uniformly will wear the angle gear. JMO.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You might have to roll your rear fenders to fit tires that wide...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm not sure if your AWD system is different, but I have talked with Subaru and Evo enthusiasts, and something that repeatedly came up was the wearing of differentials and clutches in the system. Let's put it this way, I don't think tire rack will sell you less than 4 tires if it knows its going on an AWD car (or it needs confirmation from you to do so) and because of this, they offer a service to take a few mm off of the tires to ensure that they match what you have on the car if you only need one because of a blow out.

I would be very careful, IIRC your AWD system isn't exactly known for its longevity.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
As long as the rolling radius is the same, it will be fine. The car can compensate a little just for tread depth differences between back and front but not more than that or you will wear out your haldex.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I've been running staggered now for about 6 months and love the way the caR drives when I'm really pushing the car through the canyons. I'm running the following on stock 18" pegs...

Front:
235/40R18 with 12mm spacers @39psi with 1.2 degrees negative camber

Rear:
265/35R18 with 17mm spacers @34psi with 2.2 degrees negative camber

I had to roll the rear fender to get everything tucked in tight. But it came out nice. And drives very well through the corners.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm not sure if your AWD system is different, but I have talked with Subaru and Evo enthusiasts, and something that repeatedly came up was the wearing of differentials and clutches in the system. Let's put it this way, I don't think tire rack will sell you less than 4 tires if it knows its going on an AWD car (or it needs confirmation from you to do so) and because of this, they offer a service to take a few mm off of the tires to ensure that they match what you have on the car if you only need one because of a blow out.

I would be very careful, IIRC your AWD system isn't exactly known for its longevity.
our AWD does just fine thanks!! anywho, this discussion has been had before and the people telling you the overall diameter is the key are correct. im not sure exactly the tolerance, but running a taller sidewall is ok as long as the overall diameter is the same, within that tolerance. hopefully someone else can chime in on that. you do not want to put different overall diameter tires on a 4WD becuase different diameters will actually be spinning at different RPM at any given KMH (or MPH).

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Well, I've been running staggered now for about 6 months and love the way the caR drives when I'm really pushing the car through the canyons. I'm running the following on stock 18" pegs...

Front:
235/40R18 with 12mm spacers @39psi with 1.2 degrees negative camber

Rear:
265/35R18 with 17mm spacers @34psi with 2.2 degrees negative camber

I had to roll the rear fender to get everything tucked in tight. But it came out nice. And drives very well through the corners.

you kw v2....fit only fronts or you have them on all four corners?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 37 Posts