SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
I am about to turn 9000 miles on my 2012 T6 and I really, really like this thing but one thing to this day still bugs the crap out of me.

I wish I could explain this better but what I notice is right around maybe 2500 RPM the engine has this kinda "sucking wind" sound as the engine revs to higher RPM's. Does this make any sense? I live on an incline so I notice it mostly there as I am accelerating up my driveway. My thoughts are that it is the turbo spooling but is there anything I can do to quiet it down? To me it sounds so unrefined compared to what I find to be such an incredible engine.

Also, I thought it was something that I could only hear inside the cabin (which wouldn't bother me so much) but my wife took it to work one day and she was pulling up the road to our house and I could hear the sound clearly from outside as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My wife's S60 T5 and my XC60 T6 does kind of the same noise coming up our driveway. I think it is the stopping then turning up our very steep driveway that makes the turbo kick in suddenly. I am not sure if it does it on the highway due to tire and wind noise when excellerating.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No, it's not just you. " Sucking Wind" is as good a description as any in that I have experienced this same type of sound during acceleration. It can be annoying when not hidden by the stereo system. I just decided that it was just some sort of exhaust system flow dynamics in that it didn't appear to have any impact on performance.

Anyone else experience this or have any thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the same noise with my 2011 T6. I actually took it to the dealer over this and they test drove it with me and said it was "normal". This was in Korea so they were unable to explain to me (limited English) what actually is causing that noise. Only happens on hard acceleration.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sounds like the "sound" many of the S60R/V70R guys spend money on to make even louder (bigger air filters/air intake pipes, etc).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Surely this 'sucking wind' sound is the turbo's compressor sucking air into the intake (T5 and T6 engines obviously have a Turbo each - neither are twin-turbo). And 2500rpm is about when the turbo starts becoming a compressor. Its completely normal and exactly how one gets 300bhp from 3 litres of engine displacement. 100hp/l is rare without some sort of forced induction (turbocharging or supercharging). Sucking more dense air into the cylinders gives you a more powerful explosion in the cylinder and more power and torque as a result.

But how obtrusive the noise is in the cabin could be a problem to an owner. I find my XC60 T6 very quiet when compared with my Audi TT (also a turbo). It may be possible to add some sound insulation around the airbox or turbo intake pipe (TIP) to quieten the noise. In fact, if the TIP is serrated like a vacuum cleaner hose then that there is the problem. A nice smooth silicone TIP would solve that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just decided that it was just some sort of exhaust system flow dynamics in that it didn't appear to have any impact on performance.
Actually it does have an effect on performance. That "sucking wind" noise is probably worth about 80bhp so without it you'd be driving around in a 220bhp XC60 - and slowly.
In about 10years time i fully expect pretty much every new car will be coming with a light-pressure turbo as they provide 'free' bhp allowing more power from a small capacity engine whilst retaining small engine fuel economy. The T in T6 was exactly why I bought an XC60 over a similarly priced Q5 or X3 - the volvo has more power and similar fuel economy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

·
Registered
558 Posts
The T6 uses a "Twin Scroll" turbo. There is two "scrolls" in the turbo housing to route the charge air through. The sucking is most likely a result of the geometry of the turbo and related housing.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
What you're probably actually hearing is the wastegate opening and letting off air to regulate pressure in the turbo charger. It will sound like somewhat like something whistling in the wind. This isn't limited to twinscroll turbos - it's quite audible on both the '95 850 T-5R I used to drive and both my 2.4T and 2.5T XC70's. I also found it was quite noticeable on some of the C30's I've driven.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I love that sound of the "whistling" turbos when I fire up my XC60! I get satsifaction hearing that, and knowing that I'm driving the best of the best! I have a '10, and it's got plenty of giddyup. I've had many a "would-be passer" come up on the right side, and they're probably like WTF...I just got owned by a VOLVO?!?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love that sound of the "whistling" turbos when I fire up my XC60! I get satsifaction hearing that, and knowing that I'm driving the best of the best! I have a '10, and it's got plenty of giddyup. I've had many a "would-be passer" come up on the right side, and they're probably like WTF...I just got owned by a VOLVO?!?!
Ditto to all of that!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a similar sounds when cruising no matter the speed, so I don't think mine is due to the turbo. Stops the minute I let off the throttle so I think it might be the throttle plate or other hosing. Unsure if it did this new as we just got our 2012.

Hey everyone,
I am about to turn 9000 miles on my 2012 T6 and I really, really like this thing but one thing to this day still bugs the crap out of me.

I wish I could explain this better but what I notice is right around maybe 2500 RPM the engine has this kinda "sucking wind" sound as the engine revs to higher RPM's. Does this make any sense? I live on an incline so I notice it mostly there as I am accelerating up my driveway. My thoughts are that it is the turbo spooling but is there anything I can do to quiet it down? To me it sounds so unrefined compared to what I find to be such an incredible engine.

Also, I thought it was something that I could only hear inside the cabin (which wouldn't bother me so much) but my wife took it to work one day and she was pulling up the road to our house and I could hear the sound clearly from outside as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts