SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the wife would like an XC90 however after taking a peek at CR.... 56/100 on reliability...well that doesn't feel good.

Just wondering that real owners of the car have faced. Is this some car I'm going to want to keep under warranty?

-R

·
Registered
8 Posts
I spent several months researching until pulling the trigger on a 2018 CPO (7 yr / 100k) XC90. With 2018 being the third year of production, it seemed many of the kinks had been ironed out by that point with most issues centered on initial production 2016 and then 2017 vehicles.

I'm a year in to ownership (vehicle is now 2 years old), and the only issue has been a leaking windshield seal that presented as a few drips of water coming down from the rear view mirror during downpours (Florida). Initially, assumed it was a sunroof issue (2016s had issues with these that were fixed via a technical journal), but further diagnostics found the windshield leak. While not ideal, this was an easy repair covered under warranty.

Dig around on the forums and you'll find all of the horror stories -- realistically that's who's going to post. And you can find the same things on <insert brand>'s forums as well. If you go 2018 or newer and buy from a reputable dealer I believe you'll have a great vehicle and a great experience. A CPO warranty never hurts for extra peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
+1 I have a XC90 Inscription T8 including the kitchen sink. It is a joy everyday I drive it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So the wife would like an XC90 however after taking a peek at CR.... 56/100 on reliability...well that doesn't feel good.

Just wondering that real owners of the car have faced. Is this some car I'm going to want to keep under warranty?

-R
I would take Consumer Reports with a grain of salt. I have an OSD early MY2016. Aside from the usual maintenance there have been no major issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I've had my 2016 for 4 years and 49,000 miles. I've had one computer related issue in the first year of ownership. Besides the relatively poor brake pad life, I really have no complaints and wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on one of any year. I'd prefer to see the maintenance history and I'd also like a CPO warranty but a I wouldn't pay extra for one.:beer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spent several months researching until pulling the trigger on a 2018 CPO (7 yr / 100k) XC90. With 2018 being the third year of production, it seemed many of the kinks had been ironed out by that point with most issues centered on initial production 2016 and then 2017 vehicles.

I'm a year in to ownership (vehicle is now 2 years old), and the only issue has been a leaking windshield seal that presented as a few drips of water coming down from the rear view mirror during downpours (Florida). Initially, assumed it was a sunroof issue (2016s had issues with these that were fixed via a technical journal), but further diagnostics found the windshield leak. While not ideal, this was an easy repair covered under warranty.

Dig around on the forums and you'll find all of the horror stories -- realistically that's who's going to post. And you can find the same things on <insert brand>'s forums as well. If you go 2018 or newer and buy from a reputable dealer I believe you'll have a great vehicle and a great experience. A CPO warranty never hurts for extra peace of mind.

I wish they still offered the 7/100... down to 5/unlimited...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
CR has their own bias with their reporting. YMMV but I stopped trusting their ratings about a decade ago.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
We have had virtually no issues with our 2016 XC90......my wife loves it!!! :)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
We bought CPO 2016 T6 Momentum in March of 2018 because wife loved it. Over the year we had several issues that were addressed under warranty and some that were not (like excessive wear of leather on driver seat - it was painted under some pushing but it still looks like crap). Dealer's interactions were far from her expectations and now it's my vehicle. If you go for it, get the car with all options as it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Purchased our 2016 Momentum + new, and we are now approaching 35,000 trouble-free miles. We most certainly intend to replace it with another one - it's a great vehicle. Remember that the only things that you tend to hear about ANY car are negative, especially on forums. The thousands upon thousands of satisfied owners don't post typically anything. Have your prospective purchase checked out by a competent, unbiased mechanic.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Out of the four cars in my garage, two of them are on the CR used car do not buy list and the XC40 we have does not have good reliability ratings. My ‘96 is too old for CR to hate on it.

The way people treat their cars varies wildly and that has some effect on reliability. I obviously don’t make decisions based on CR and have owned a string of very reliable VWs and a Jeep.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If everyone followed CR, we all would be driving Toyota’s.

I don’t want to live in that world.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
+1 I have a XC90 Inscription T8 including the kitchen sink. It is a joy everyday I drive it.
+1 x 10.

The only thing my wife complains about is how much I still talk about how much I enjoy my MY16 XC90 Inscription T8. I would have only one regret - not buying it. + 43K miles and going strong with very little maintenance. Of course I would / did buy the 8-yr 100K VIP Platinum warranty since I plan to keep it for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
718 Posts
Put in a few thousand more, and get a CPO '18.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If everyone followed CR, we all would be driving Toyota’s.

I don’t want to live in that world.
CR gave the 2018 Honda CRV a high rating and it turns out the 1.5L I4 turbo engine has a big oil dilution problem.

I don’t want to live in CR’s world either.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Put in a few thousand more, and get a CPO '18.
That’s good advice. Faster Sensus and longer warranty period.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Out of the four cars in my garage, two of them are on the CR used car do not buy list and the XC40 we have does not have good reliability ratings. My ‘96 is too old for CR to hate on it.
I obviously don’t make decisions based on CR and have owned a string of very reliable VWs and a Jeep.
Based on CR's assessment of the XC90 and other non-car items we were looking at, I recently decided to cancel my subscription. They were just way off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Purchased 2016 R-Design Jan 2016, manufactured 11/15. Overall the vehicle has been extremely reliable. Have driven it all over the country and just ticked over 40k miles. Brake calipers/pads changed front/back, other than that no major issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts