SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
& i'm not trying to get off on the wrong foot here, as i'm new & just bought the car this week. but i had a tc spoilers hood scoop on my last project car. & i'm pretty partial to them. seeing as our car's are actually turbo & could benefit from a functional scoop, i don't really see the issue.

i was thinking something like this.

has anyone done something like this tastefully?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
No way, they're cool...get it?..cool?...and I have two so my caR is twice as cool.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
I think a hood scoop would be very cool, and original. and way more functional than flush mounted vents on the front of the hood (vents should go towards the back of the hood to flow air over the engine before venting out).

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
we all know the real thing to shoot for in life is the roof scoop

·
Registered
73 Posts
Jez,

Volvo -> hood scoop -> WRONG

Tree -> bark -> WRONG

I've always thought of the R as a Gentleman’s STI; 2.5 liter, 300hp a little paunchy on the side, yet quick with the repartee…

Your lookin for hood scoops y'all got the equation s-d-r-a-w-k-c-a-b. I mean by all means have some fun but don't leave the house with out yer paperbag.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
All the power to you sir...just watch you'll be an innovator for this project and it will come out fantastic and serve its proper functionality and more will convert...I'd be willing to bet money.

Personally I would love to see it happen, along with a spoiler that actually has some balls unlike those pathetic lips. I mean even my little spoiler is better than that ugly friggin' lip.

·
Registered
782 Posts
OK, who's gonna bust out with the coefficient of drag vs benefit of forced air argument? C'mon.....I know your dying to chime in :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
A hood scoop does nothing for the intercooler, so they would really only be useful for cooling off the engine bay...which is probably why no R's have them. I'm not saying it wouldn't be functional. It'd be nice to have a low and wide scoop towards the back that pushes all the hot turbine/dp heat out the back to keep the bay a little cooler.

Now, if you were to do a TMIC mod, then we can talk about truly functional hood scoops! DO IT!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
A hood scoop does nothing for the intercooler, so they would really only be useful for cooling off the engine bay...which is probably why no R's have them. I'm not saying it wouldn't be functional. It'd be nice to have a low and wide scoop towards the back that pushes all the hot turbine/dp heat out the back to keep the bay a little cooler.

Now, if you were to do a TMIC mod, then we can talk about truly functional hood scoops! DO IT!
Or SMIC like some Audi's have. Then you can have side scoops and vents. Lol!

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK! Here is the real hood vent and a roof scoop too boot.
The engine is in the rear.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
This doesn't look too bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts