·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like whoever has related content to a thread that missing stuff, should throw them in. We need the mods and admins on this too, because we can't edit other people's posts.

Sent from Taptalk

·
Registered
897 Posts
A lot of the threads (at least the SS-hosted ones, not ones on external sites) are still there. There was some under-the-hood vbulletin change at some point in the last 3 or 4 years, such that the old URL format

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=(thread_id)

switched to

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?(thread_id)

For example, the SS forum FAQ link in the Welcome to the Forum thread is http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=9296, but if you change it to http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?9296 it works.

The solution is to go back to these index pages with hardcoded "zerothread" URLs, edit them, and do a find/replace for the newer URL format.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Like whoever has related content to a thread that missing stuff, should throw them in. We need the mods and admins on this too, because we can't edit other people's posts.

Sent from Taptalk
As one of the most active moderators the past several years, I have been cleaning up a lot of the threads and content over the years. I haven't been adding too many threads recently as members have slowly haven't been informing me to do so(sorry, I don't work here full time nor do I read every thread). A lot of these changes are user driven: either by members finding them or members who are the content creators. As for the threads themselves, it's unfortunate that the images or links to images become dead as the member either have become inactive, does not maintain or simply have gone away. There's really little we can do to fix that. If this forum provided image space for each user when they attach photos, it may help alleviate this for future threads. I understand that this will increase both Storage space/database and bandwidth issues althogether...

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
A lot of the threads (at least the SS-hosted ones, not ones on external sites) are still there. There was some under-the-hood vbulletin change at some point in the last 3 or 4 years, such that the old URL format

switched to

For example, the SS forum FAQ link in the Welcome to the Forum thread is http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=9296, but if you change it to http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?9296 it works.

The solution is to go back to these index pages with hardcoded "zerothread" URLs, edit them, and do a find/replace for the newer URL format.
For the most part, I've fixed these in the Index page which I've took hours and hours sorting and fixing links, and categorizing them....

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
anyway.... moderators are necessary, but methinks they moderate the wit and leave the dregs.
We are not suppose to remove any content, only content that we moderate are the violations to forum rules ie; spam, profanity, copyrights, and advertising.

·
Registered
157 Posts

switched to

HOly cow this is awesome.. so many links I wanted to read had the "zerothread" failure... Time to go learn!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The "what oil?" and "who's tires?" posts shocked me: just how stupid and ignorant are these people? Who would give a driver license to someone who thinks motor oil matters ? and what kind of fool would put anything less than the best high performance rubber on a car that came from the factory with the same tires that come on Ferraris and Lamborghinis ? In case you missed my point (again): I came here with adult language and mindset, and quickly discovered that all my posts were being " repaired" by the moderators.... I presume so that it not "hurt the sensitivity of the children" ... I am no longer able to post under my name.... do you feel safe, children ?
I have the same gripes, but what can we do? The general demographics of R owners are changing, the original owners were generally an older group of people with white collar occupation; since the R was an upward of $50K purchase when the R was brand new. Today, it's now a 10+ year old platform and majority are 2nd-3rd owners that simply are younger, either in school or hand me downs. Not trying to be stereotypical, but younger demographics mean that they will be asking inexperienced questions...

You can totally tell from the threads and topics, and buying trends on the forum. From STI Polyurethane lips, cheap or replica wheels, plastidip, and the plethora of maintenance issues rather than upgrades or mods.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
ps: I notice your link to your "evolution" has no photos. Gotta love electronic file storage: it evaporates so quickly, and yet, remains accessible to all the wrong people forever.
I'll fix them whenever I have the time, I have most of these photos offline. Just haven't cleaned the closet so to say. Will find a more reliable image host that would store them forever...

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at the issue, Imageshack.us is going down the gutter and they will not host it if it's externally linked directly to the image, and you must load their image from their domain or their page. [email protected]#(!SD#(^)*!/*/@# . Anyway I'll fix these, the images are ALL there still, just can't be viewed from Swedespeed directly.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I wonder Alfred, if you could search for a Helmut post way back in the day, from between midnight and 4 am ? (EST)

any of them will do

none of them make any sense at all

and they are the funniest posts ever on SS
Yes, of course! I remember Helmut Ranff, was still here when I first picked up the R. And I've ran into several of this posts and threads over the years. Don't forget about VolvoKidS60R, 850RrrrSaylikePirate (lol KB?), WarpedCow, Giraff3, R Kelly that were equally fun and valuable members.

The P2R may never be as popular as the likes of VS where it's active and fun to post. Here in Swedespeed Forums, it's always been maintenance, tutorial, and mod centric (like Matthew's volvo Site)....that's not going to change. There was a time between 2005-2011 or so where most of the owners were here for purely entertainment value like finding something new to do with the R, an upgrade that interests them, wants, and not necessarily a need, or simply just chilling and socializing. In part there's still that, but it isn't as rampant as before.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Then there were the completely stoic and straight members, like grandfather Jim Lill, who garnered HUGE RESPECT with his serious technical posts about his racing experience. ( the CAI came from Jim Lill's measurement using a "home built" manometer attached to his air box that documented the negative pressure, which led to R Kelly concocting his " R Kelly cold air intake ", later monetized by IPD.
Yep, know the whole story with R Kelly CAI, but I'll argue about the biggest wheel whore(I'm close to being one, but not enough sets have gone past me yet to dispute it). It's definitely lowenhart, even his alias is a wheel name, is the new reigning champ of wheel whores; check his last 15 posts or so on his thread. He's changed like 7 different sets in the course of 2 years. And of course JimLill, who's THE author to most of these stickies we're talking about. His presence is still strong. LOL

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I have the same gripes, but what can we do? The general demographics of R owners are changing, the original owners were generally an older group of people with white collar occupation; since the R was an upward of $50K purchase when the R was brand new. Today, it's now a 10+ year old platform and majority are 2nd-3rd owners that simply are younger, either in school or hand me downs. Not trying to be stereotypical, but younger demographics mean that they will be asking inexperienced questions...

You can totally tell from the threads and topics, and buying trends on the forum. From STI Polyurethane lips, cheap or replica wheels, plastidip, and the plethora of maintenance issues rather than upgrades or mods.
I hate the generation of R owner that I am a part of. I left the Facebook groups because it was the same nonsense over and over! The B5254T4 isn't complicated. It's a derivative of the B52xxTx in every 850/P80 V70. I grew up around a P80 XC so AWD turbo'd Volvos are all I know. I'm not a dude bro who sold his STI and bought a Volvo. Now will I ever mod my R aside from sways... Probably not. The answer to every question is synthetic oil changed a lot, and whatever you want for tires as long as it meets the speed rating. I revere the R. I wish I had been old enough to buy one. I get angry when I see children my age buy an R because they see it as fast (I mean I bought one because it's AWD has 3 pedals and big brakes... Also because I fell in love the first time I sat in those perfect nordkap seats).

P.s. Imgur.com is a very good image host.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
dog ... you get the R ... it's the big brakes.

my guy at Keystone Volvo, Steve Owens, races every weekend he can. He also runs the service at Keystone. It's the only place I will take my R for jobs I can't do myself.

I can't tell you what he says about the new "performance sticker" Volvos, but he dismisses them by pointing out: " just look at those rear brakes ... "

yea ... the last performance Volvo was the 2007 R

my kid gets it: he's all over the new Miata .... no power to speak of .... huge toss-able fun.

I came this // close to buying one .... but I've been hit by a drunk, so I bought a 2.5 ton Merc with a roll bar instead.
Our recent Lava Sand XC purchase came from keystone. Nice to know they have some clue how to deal with the cars they're supposed to know how to service.

One mod I'd love to do is Polestar front calipers in all 4 corners of the R. Make the turning radius even worse!

·
Registered
17,689 Posts

We can try to show them the light. For every stupid question, be glad that it was asked. Yes, they get VERY annoying. Foster the enthusiast community as you and I were when we first joined. Instill a deeper love. Help make "Volvo: For Life" a mantra for them too. Volvos are safe, then functional, then fun. Fun comes as the product of safe and functional. Push for better rubber, better pads, better suspension (not coil overs, that neuters the safety and makes the fun one sided), then more power. Log track time. Dont road race. Love your car, covet thy neighbors yellow 850 t5-r and wave to every cool volvo you see on the street. It does make a difference.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
As one of the most active moderators the past several years, I have been cleaning up a lot of the threads and content over the years. I haven't been adding too many threads recently as members have slowly haven't been informing me to do so(sorry, I don't work here full time nor do I read every thread). A lot of these changes are user driven: either by members finding them or members who are the content creators. As for the threads themselves, it's unfortunate that the images or links to images become dead as the member either have become inactive, does not maintain or simply have gone away. There's really little we can do to fix that. If this forum provided image space for each user when they attach photos, it may help alleviate this for future threads. I understand that this will increase both Storage space/database and bandwidth issues althogether...
I was thinking the other day that I (we all) should put together a thread for common problems and their symptoms that could be a first step for people with issues. The thought being that by now our caRs have really shown that many times they tend to fail in the same way from R to R. A few examples:

Battery Failing - Start getting crazy codes.
Front Wheel Bearings - Growl that changes when wheels are turned one way or the other.
Replace Item A - Code A### or Code B### in VIDA
Etc Etc Etc

In my mind, it would have a lot more detail than this, but the idea would be that you could point people here to help rule out common items that have started showing up over and over again.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm one of the new guys, but you have to remember that we will one day be THOSE old guys that you're talking about too! A new gen of owners will come in and only us know about the 5cyls and such. Especially that new Volvos now have a damn 4cyl :(

Sent from Taptalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts