SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I need some Help as I haven't been Keeping up on the T6 Motor much ..

I Thought the Motor was Rock Solid , but someone mentioned there were reports of T6 using Oil ?
Is this the New T6 Supercharged or the Older T6 - 6 Cly. and If any Factory Notices were given ?

Anything Else I should be looking out for has 34K on T6 - early 2015 so it's the T6 _ 6 Cly . . Model looking At , Thanks . . for all replies ..
Dan

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
New T6 is supercharged and turbocharged. Old T6 is just the turbo. There were a few reports of early mileage oil burning which went away and were chalked up to a factory underfill, and I think one complete rebuild on a pre-owned car. Otherwise from what I gather here its pretty solid.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah , the New T6 is a 4 Banger .. I may have just caught some side Notes on Oil Consumption ..some ones post . . ~

Cool - Just checking around - to see If It's Worth - Checking Into .. Sounds Like the T6 is Pretty Solid Motor ..

I always Break Mine in on a - Long Run - and Vary it a lot on Amount of Load - Applied .. / Drop Filter Early / New Filter -Top Off / Again Oil & Filter Early - Checking all Temps
( Feeling ) Gear Boxes for Temp _ Etc. / Bleed All Brake Lines & Clutch etc. First Yr. / Sec. Yr. Change Transmission Oil - allowing some time for Gears to Bed - In .

The Idea I like about the T6 Volvo are the Heavier Hubs - Axles & Brakes - compared to the T5 4cly - which seems to have the lighter Version Stud type Hubs . etc.
I Believe I'm Correct on Stating that - If I missed anything - Let Me Know . . , Also the R is .60 " Lower and Firmer Bushings , Bars etc.
Was Wondering about the T6 Transmission - anyone been able to get the Programming Updated to Match the T6 Trans in the Pole Star ? :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Strange to think a 3.0 l turbo in-line 6 that produces the better part of 300 hp at all 4 wheels (together) is now 'old school'.
Oh well, soon anything that actually burns something for propulsion will be 'dinosaurs' on the road anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
No issues with oil usage for my 2015.5 T6 6cyl, 20k miles.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The R-Design T6 is still a 6 cylinder. Not a 4.
Except in the XC60RD which has begun selling T6 Drive-E AWD models (No Polestar Tune).

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Except in the XC60RD which has begun selling T6 Drive-E AWD models (No Polestar Tune).
I haven't seen the XC60 with Drive-E AWD offered with the R-Design trim package. There are some 2016 6cyl T6 AWD models out there.

Volvo has started to offer the T5 FWD Drive-E with the R-Design trim package.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Was Wondering about the T6 Transmission - anyone been able to get the Programming Updated to Match the T6 Trans in the Pole Star ? :)
The RD has the last Gen P* tuning which does not include the same gearing as the P*. They do not offer this as an aftermarket option and have not talked about offering it in the future.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I haven't seen the XC60 with Drive-E AWD offered with the R-Design trim package.
Chris,

the XC60 T6 Drive-E AWD R-designs are already on the lots; at least, out here in Southern California.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I haven't seen the XC60 with Drive-E AWD offered with the R-Design trim package. There are some 2016 6cyl T6 AWD models out there.

Volvo has started to offer the T5 FWD Drive-E with the R-Design trim package.
My dealer has several in stock, here is the link to one of them: http://www.prestigevolvo.com/new/Volvo/2016-Volvo-XC60-f06fe85b0a0e0adf484d5bd15b43eb9d.htm

I have yet though to see an S60 T5 FWD Drive-E R-Design model at any of my dealers I visit, but definitely seen them from pictures that you've posted on the dealer lots; strange that's been out for a couple of months and Volvo never made mention of it on the website or builder of its existence.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have yet though to see an S60 T5 FWD Drive-E R-Design model at any of my dealers I visit, but definitely seen them from pictures that you've posted on the dealer lots; strange that's been out for a couple of months and Volvo never made mention of it on the website or builder of its existence.
You're not going to. The car is a special edition for the South/Southeast market.

http://cars.chron.com/cars-for-sale/houston-texas/2016-volvo-s60-t5-drivee-rdesign-special-edition-77090-yv126mfp3g2395190.

http://www.demontrondvolvo.com/new/Volvo/2016-Volvo-S60-houston-tx-c2702e3a0a0e0a6b1ecb65ccc939e6cb.htm

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi

No issues with oil usage for my 2015.5 T6 6cyl, 20k miles.
Hey , I would Hope Not with that Rebel Blue . . Wagon . .

So what are the Major Differences - between the T5 & T6 - in regarding Brakes & Hubs ( Any ) ?

Certainly the 38 Mpg with the T5 is going to be attractive to some..

The 2015.5 T6 R can't be to Far behind on the Highway ..with Mpg ?

:beer: Dan

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
I don't know that there are any differences between the hubs on a T5 and T6. I am pretty sure that the front brakes on the T6 are larger than those on the T5. Early RDs ('12) had smaller brakes and folks complained that the car was a little "underbraked".

With respect to mileage, I think I have gotten in the low 30's on the highway with my RD and the T5 Drive E will be in the high 30's, YMMV.

I have had my RD 18 months now with 12k miles and it has been rock solid.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brakes - brakes - brakes

I don't know that there are any differences between the hubs on a T5 and T6. I am pretty sure that the front brakes on the T6 are larger than those on the T5. Early RDs ('12) had smaller brakes and folks complained that the car was a little "underbraked".

With respect to mileage, I think I have gotten in the low 30's on the highway with my RD and the T5 Drive E will be in the high 30's, YMMV.

I have had my RD 18 months now with 12k miles and it has been rock solid.

OK, On the Early V60's I could have sworn the brakes & hub looked just like the V50's .. soooo Since then they have ( Increases those Brakes )

Any Brake Issues - Should I expect to Up Grade the Brakes ( Warping & Such ) on the V60 & S60's - Currently Produced like 2014's & Up
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts