SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we're gonna do it and dump the Volvo for a Highlander Hybrid.
I really wanted to like this car and there are many things that I do like.

Styling-great looking car, inside and out. Being a wanna be pilot I love the way the dash and center console looks at night. Reminds me of an aircraft cockpit. I have yet to see a better looking mid size SUV

Comfort- Can't beat it for long road trips.

RSE- More manufacturers need to adopt the headrest system that is integrated into the audio system as well as this one.

Things that drove me bonkers

Never ending bumps from the suspension/subframe. I think this is a design flaw and can never be truly solved. Most of you never drive on anything but asphalt so you will never experience it. No near 50K car should sound like a 72 Dodge Dart over moderately rough roads.
It's getting worse as time goes by. Beginning to sound like the subframe with engine and tranny is about to fall out. Dealer cannot duplicate because they won't test drive over a dirt washboard road.

Having to dodge the door every time I get in and out of it. How many of you have whacked your chin with the door? Come on admit it

The inabilty to program the door locks to my liking. I had the dealer do it for 30 bucks and I should have left it alone. Now they lock everytime I get in and out to open the gate at the house and If get out without unlocking all the doors I have to get back in and unlock them so I can get my daughter out of the back. When you do this, the first time you hit the button it will relock instead of unlocking. Good way to lock the keys in! The whole scheme is just screwy

The antiroll control is just a gimmick. If you run off the road and jerk the wheel you're still going to flip it.

Goofy tranny/engine management program. I know they could have done a bit better if they tried harder. 268 horsepower and a nearly ten second 0-60 time? Come on!

Not being able to put the worlds safest car seat (Britax) in the worlds safest car without butchering the car because the rear seat headrests are not removable. Speaking of which I have the part needed to remove the headrest. 30 bucks plus shipping and it's yours.

Speed sensitive steering. Vague at best, dangerous at worst. It makes the car VERY easy to overdrive in corners. What was Volvo trying to accomplish? My 2500HD work truck does a better job using a simple variable DC induced magnet in the steering column.

Sucky dealer service!

I am having some regrets about dumping it but I think that keeping it will cause more.

Many people have complained about the T6 mileage. We actually did fairly well for a 4600 pound car. Lifetime average of a little over 19. I have a sister in law who on my advice, based on posts here, bought a V8 that is only averaging 12. She does live in the Bay Area and drives like her hair is on fire

It has been an education and I appreciate everyones help and patience over the last year.
Sorry for the long hard to read post XC-SKI

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: So Long! (Aztecian)

Glad I dont have any of these issues... Maybe a T6 thing.

As far as roll over, any vehicle can roll, the system just helps control the ones that can
be avoided within its limits. Just like saying airbags dont work because when slamming into
a wall at 150mph they dont help. The limits were exceded.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Re: So Long! (dmd)

Quote, originally posted by dmd »

As far as roll over, any vehicle can roll, the system just helps control the ones that can
be avoided within its limits. Just like saying airbags dont work because when slamming into

Exactly!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: So Long! (dmd)

Quote, originally posted by dmd »

Of course I know that but be realistic. Without actually taking total control away from the driver how much can it really do? It is being sold as, and some on here believe it judging by past posts, that it is the be all end all of vehicle safety. I maintain that it is more gimmick than a real help. It might at best prevent one out of every onehundred roll overs by doing what it claims. The other 99 are driver stupidity/inexperience plain and simple. I also belive that Volvo counters most of its benefits by equipping the car with horrible steering feel that can cause a driver to oversteer in panic situation such as having a curve sneek up on you.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think the XC90 is geared to the non-professional...novice (Soccer mom/dad) thing that the system could save someone who doesnt care or doesnt have the experience to know what the car will do in corners, panic swerves etc.....its a good system in my opinion, though not any better than say ABS, Airbags or whatever....should be standard on everything.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Aztecian »
Of course I know that but be realistic. Without actually taking total control away from the driver how much can it really do? It is being sold as, and some on here believe it judging by past posts, that it is the be all end all of vehicle safety. I maintain that it is more gimmick than a real help. It might at best prevent one out of every onehundred roll overs by doing what it claims. The other 99 are driver stupidity/inexperience plain and simple. I also belive that Volvo counters most of its benefits by equipping the car with horrible steering feel that can cause a driver to oversteer in panic situation such as having a curve sneek up on you.

Obviously, you didn't participate in the Drive For Life event.

This was something that Volvo did a while back where they would lend you an XC90 and ask you to do things that no regular driver (as in non-race car driver) would want to do normally. Try avoiding something at 40+ mph on a two lane road with traffic coming in the other direction: the xc90 will do it just fine, without losing control at any moment. But don't try this with just about any other suv because you will most likely end with the wheels wrong side up...

At any rate, good luck with your Highlander. I hope it meets your expectations.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Re: So Long! (ig_mb)

Yessir! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

When we test drove SUV's the Volvo rep was the only one who took us on winding back roads and dared us to take curves at a speed we wouldn't take in some sedans let alone suv's.
He wanted us to feel the RSTC kick in............and we could. He let me wife drive it through a few turns and then me. It was noticeable and helped sell the vehicle.
The Acura rep was hesitant to let us test the acceleration of the MDX. Fast cornering manuevers was out of the question, lol.
The GMC Envoy leaned heavily in turns and that was goign significantly slower than with the XC.

·
Registered
606 Posts

It has been an education and I appreciate everyones help and patience over the last year.
Sorry for the long hard to read post XC-SKI
Almost missed that last line but got in a roll reading all your whines--almost poetic if rather sad. The bad dealer service is the only significant complaint I see. Everything else is either easily fixed (at least they should be easy with a competent dealer) or is too off-the-wall. BTW, I drive on unimproved roads all the time and have had a little work done to correct noises but it's not a big deal. You should have heard the talking my jeep used to do; the XC90 is silent by comparison. It will be interesting to see how the electrical components hold up on the Highlander over rough roads.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: So Long! (XC-Ski)

Quote, originally posted by XC-Ski »

Almost missed that last line but got in a roll reading all your whines--almost poetic if rather sad. The bad dealer service is the only significant complaint I see. Everything else is either easily fixed (at least they should be easy with a competent dealer) or is too off-the-wall. BTW, I drive on unimproved roads all the time and have had a little work done to correct noises but it's not a big deal. You should have heard the talking my jeep used to do; the XC90 is silent by comparison. It will be interesting to see how the electrical components hold up on the Highlander over rough roads.
The electrical on the Toy is guaranteed for 84 months or 100K. We also have a first rate dealer within 30 miles. I was having to drive 180 miles for poor service with the Volvo.
2200 dollar tax CREDIT from the Feds
1100 dollar tax CREDIT from the State of New Mexico
Two or 3300 more reasons for the Hybrid.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Why waste your time whinning about the XC-90?

I guess you are trying to justify buying a different car? You needn't try to run the car down. The door locks upset me soooo much, I just have to have a different car.... This is too funny. Be a man, you don't have to invent stuff to make a decision.

I hope your next car is perfect.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: So Long! (doug b)

Occasionaly the Emperor really isn't wearing any clothes!
I think you folks are making excuses to justify paying for a car that should have only been priced at 70% of what we paid.
Volvos are a passion. You either love them or hate them. Realistically Volvo is living on a reputation built in the 60s. Their cars are nothing special these days. The safety features on the late models are no better than any other concientious car maker builds these days.

Boron roof-necessary because the car roof would not support the weight of the rest of the vehicle with the severe angle of the front pillars.

Side curtain air bags-Quite a few car makers are also using these. Not unique to Volvo as some would like to believe.

VRSC-Industrial espionage is a very active thing and if this actually meant something more manufacturers besides Ford and Volvo would be using it.

Be realistic folks! Blind Brand loyalty is very unappealing.
The car is not horrible. It could be better and it could be much worse. Think Touareg

It just didn't work out for me. By pointing out the things that bugged me maybe a few more will realize, "hey that really is kind of silly". With a little critical thinking and the desire to change things maybe Volvo will get the message and build the car that I expected this one to be.

To those of you who respond to my less than stellar opinion of the XC90 with personal attacks.....Grow up!!!!!!! You would think I was hanging out with the kids on the Dodge Diesel Forum.

·
Registered
268 Posts

I think you folks are making excuses to justify paying for a car that should have only been priced at 70% of what we paid.

Why do conjucture what price we paid. Many of us are satisfied. Do you think that you are bringing some sort of enlightenment to this forum?

Volvos are a passion. You either love them or hate them. Realistically Volvo is living on a reputation built in the 60s. Their cars are nothing special these days. The safety features on the late models are no better than any other concientious car maker builds these days.

This is "your" opinion. Nobody has asked for it.

Boron roof-necessary because the car roof would not support the weight of the rest of the vehicle with the severe angle of the front pillars..

OK, now you are an expert on strength of materials, and you've analyzed the Volvo design and proven it false. As a degreeded engineer, give me some solid info.

Be realistic folks! Blind Brand loyalty is very unappealing. The car is not horrible.

I'm not loyal to Volvo. For me in Minnesota, it works. My 2004 XC-90 T6 works well.

My wife the psychologist says "when one matures, they will stop focusing on their navel". At $150/hr - take her advice!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts

Thanks a lot for all your posts. I got involved in Swedespeed about the time you started posting.

I had a really memorable trip to NM (including Aztec) and smiled to see your local.

Sorry about your issues. I live on an unimproved road that gets reasonable (5 inch deep) ruts often and so far the 2.5 is solid.

Good luck with your new car and please come back after 6 months and lets us know how it is going.

Your experience and opinion are what they are and from your earlier posts I don't doubt your objectivity.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, I think its Naïve not to expect us to defend our decision to purchase AND keep our Volvo's. I also would question your decision to purchase a car without a local dealer to support it. I really liked the idea of a Lexus, or even an Acura but closest dealers to us were 45 minutes. Our Volvo is far from trouble free, but the service dept has impressed me so far.

Enjoy the Toyota, from what I hear they are great cars.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

Aztecian-
I've never had anythin but good experiences with all the Toys I've owned. I hop the Highlander works out for you. Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: So Long! (COMark)

Quote, originally posted by COMark »
Aztecian-
I've never had anythin but good experiences with all the Toys I've owned. I hop the Highlander works out for you. Good luck!!

LAtest article on Automotive News writes about how nervous Toyota executives are. They (and Lexus) are still ahead in the J.D. Power surveys but, in the last 2 years, the amount of recalls on all Toyota vehicles has DOUBLED! Theya ttribute this to both very rapid growth and complacency.

Yannis

1 - 20 of 61 Posts