SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks guys! It's been a fun ride, I sold the R today.

Of course it knew it was leaving, and Murphy's Law struck. The battery ran down to 11.4V while I was fixing the rear suspension wiring and bending the endlinks for the rear positions sensors. So when I tried to start it, it threw half a dozen codes, reduced engine power, throttle valve fault, etc. Charged it up and it was fine. Then the passenger HID bulb died. Ugh. Did the kid a solid and I'm buying the bulb and installing it for him.

Fun car. Really persnickety.

As Clarkson said in 2004 about the S60R Vs the E46 M3........."buy an S4".

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and for anyone collecting data, 108,750 miles $9000

·
3,980 Posts
Thanks guys! It's been a fun ride, I sold the R today.

Of course it knew it was leaving, and Murphy's Law struck. The battery ran down to 11.4V while I was fixing the rear suspension wiring and bending the endlinks for the rear positions sensors. So when I tried to start it, it threw half a dozen codes, reduced engine power, throttle valve fault, etc. Charged it up and it was fine. Then the passenger HID bulb died. Ugh. Did the kid a solid and I'm buying the bulb and installing it for him.

Fun car. Really persnickety.

As Clarkson said in 2004 about the S60R Vs the E46 M3........."buy an S4".
Glad you have a good time, but take it from me STAY AWAY from B6 S4's. They are FAR worse on reliability, my buddy almost burnt his to the ground and wound up selling it for a huge loss.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Sad you couldn't get it down to the lower 48 for a price that would let you keep it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unbelievable. I had the money in hand for an hour, and the kid calls me and say I tried to start the car but it's running rough and says reduced engine power.

The kid belongs to a friend of mine, and I didn't want to hang home out to dry. I took my vida/dice over to where he was and the care had a "throttle valve signal fault". I could clear the fault in delivery and then do a throttle valve adaptation and the car would start normally. Shut it off and restart tripped the code and gave the same fault. We got it running and he brought it back to my house where it drove great for the 15 miles or so.

I haven't dug into it yet, but my plan is to get to the throttle body and give it the prescribed cleaning. I'm hoping that's the fix? I intend to do the full removal of the TV and clean it on the bench.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, or is this the usual fix for this kind if thing?

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
If the butterfly and bore are not filled with crap so it can fully close and open its more likely that there is either a bad connection or the actuator or sensor inside the throttle mechanism have gone bad.

If you were doing any work around the TB I'd first be checking and cleaning the connector to rule it out.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
When my car started having throttle body codes and reduced performance messages I had to replace the tb. I did so with a used unit and all has been well since.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the TB tonight. It wasn't that dirty considering the amount of oil in the intake tract. I have a new Bosche TB on the way, so I pulled the black cover off this one. What I found was that the gears in the idle area on the butterfly were really worn down. So much so that that motor would have to do 3/4 of a turn to engage the butterfly. I'm assuming this is why it was having trouble. The connector looked good as far as I could tell.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Throttle body fixed it. Used a new Bosche one off Amazon with the same part number as the Volvo one. $250 shipped.

Cleaned up a slightly hunting idle as well.

So now the car is gone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts