SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So its a dealer maintained car its whole life, about 100k on the clock. Problem is its 2 hours away from me, so its a pain, especially when I don't have a car since the transmission in my 98 GLT grenaded.

The car Im looking at supposedly needs a new "transfer case", is the dealer talking about the angle gear? Are those terms synonymous? Anyway, they want a deposit on the car before fixing it. Of course I would go there to check it out before giving them anything.

Is this standard practice? Dealer says have have 50 cars on the lot, and if they fix everything without a buyer that would be crazy, guessing if they have something long enough they would whole sale it with its issues to someone else.

Am I just being paranoid? Problem is I really want this F*cking caR. So I may not be thinking clearly, its also 2 hours away and I haven't seen it yet. Maybe I just need to go see it and Ill feel better.

I figured Id have to replace that thing anyway, so if they do it, hell yes!

What do you think? Thanks! I am sure you see many posts like this, I apologize.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Yes. The transfer case is the angle gear. You need to look at and drive it. Never ever buy an R sight unseen.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. The transfer case is the angle gear. You need to look at and drive it. Never ever buy an R sight unseen.
Ok cool. Yea, I will go, drive it, plan to have a volvo dealer there check it out too.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, finally got to go drive it. Completely different from the 98, being almost 10 years newer I guess that is to be expected. A lot more turbo noise, air box cover was missing. Turn signal was wonky, has droopy lip and the metal fins behind the front bumper were bent, someone hit something. Felt tight and powerful, oil was perfect, brakes looked new, tires pretty new. Nothing that was a big issue to put me off though. Everything looks way better than my other car when I first got it. Ill be picking it up later in the week.

Sent from my Galaxy s5

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did the AWD work?
I did not get to check for prop shaft movement or wheel spin without dstc. The dealer says is doesnt. Its going to volvo on the weekend before I buy it, Ill have them make sure it does.

Sent from my Galaxy s5

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Air cover box isn't 100% required but I prefer to have it. Some folks delete it for more noise. Wonky turn signal is a known issue, usually gets worse in the summer. Fix is to disassemble and clean/lube the contacts. You can also just replace the stalk if you prefer. I'm 80% sure the steering wheel doesn't have to come out to do that fix. Droopy lip is common, easy fix with some aluminum angle beam or a heat gun. The fins are the intercoolers, if it's stock. The fins themselves are decorative and not part of the actual cooling channel.

Good luck on the angle gear. Before you buy it ask for a copy of a full VIDA scan to see what codes are set.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Air cover box isn't 100% required but I prefer to have it. Some folks delete it for more noise. Wonky turn signal is a known issue, usually gets worse in the summer. Fix is to disassemble and clean/lube the contacts. You can also just replace the stalk if you prefer. I'm 80% sure the steering wheel doesn't have to come out to do that fix. Droopy lip is common, easy fix with some aluminum angle beam or a heat gun. The fins are the intercoolers, if it's stock. The fins themselves are decorative and not part of the actual cooling channel.

Good luck on the angle gear. Before you buy it ask for a copy of a full VIDA scan to see what codes are set.
Figured the PO removed the air box cover for moar power lol. Its funny, a few hours later I realized the engine cover over the injectors was missing, when I was looking at it I just thought it was kinda odd I could see the fuel rail. I had a huge headache.

$90 for the stalk, not too bad, Ill try to clean it first. The fins I plan to try to bend back into shape and repaint(maybe a bad idea?) I'll ask for a copy of the VIDA scan.

That rear headrest button is a trip...

Thanks!

Oh and holy **** that turning radius. Im used to bad having the 225s on the S70 (IPD springs, koni yellows) with rub so Id always stay away from full lock but this thing is next level.

And I did not expect a battery in the trunk, I was like "holy ****" the guy was like "whats wrong?!" I was like "theres a battery in the trunk" lol. Im easily impressed.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok that car did not work out. A week after they said it would be ready, its still not ready. They were terrible at keeping up to date on how things were going and never called me back when they said they would.

Dealing with new people, people who call me back and respond to my emails and questions, equally far away. These things are a pain to find. Anyway, this one is lower miles and fully functional (AWD is epic on wet mountain roads, great test drive). It has some cosmetic issues they are fixing and they are giving me a discount for some other cosmetic issues.

However, its another one I need to wait a week and a half for omg lol.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy ****, this was quite the ordeal. Finally got the car. Its a 2006 gt in blue, havent checked the paint code yet, you will probably know from the pics. Blue on gobi. 79k miles, florida car, very little rust. Everything worked perfectly. I was out the door for 8600 including temp tags.

Thats all for now. Super dirty, has some cosmetic stuff to work out. Needs a new grille, new tail light, new leather dash thing, new a piller fabric. Ill get it well sorted over the next couple days.

I am very excited!

Sent from my Galaxy s5

·
Registered
255 Posts
Congrats! That color would be Magic Blue. Curious, where is the rust? Was it always in Florida?

Sent from my electronic gizmo...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Congrats! That color would be Magic Blue. Curious, where is the rust? Was it always in Florida?

Sent from my electronic gizmo...
In Florida for about 65k miles of its life, then NC, then just recently moved up to NY. Now hopefully it will spend the rest of its life in NJ(or wherever I go) :D

Little rust spots on the exhaust are all I've really noticed, haven't lifted it to look around yet. Compared to the first car I looked at though, which was a NYC car, its immaculate.

Lots of luck on the new baby and the future R projects!
Thanks!

I just realized all those pictures suck. And being on my phone I added the blurriest. Ill get better ones tomorrow :D

*edit*

I found this entertaining to say the least, I have a mosquito in my tail light. I bet he came all the way from Florida.

Also just ordered a new grille (new from tasca), the stitched leather dash cover ($90 on ebay with some other goodies from erie) and a good condition used drivers side tail for $88.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh god...Do you think Dr. Colorchip will fix this? Took off the dealers sticker (and it was a sticker) which I didn't notice before...Under it was some paint removed from a previous emblem/sticker removal job gone wrong (this was not my fault, it was like that I swear lol).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts