SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I do about this? Seems to me the rear diff is leaking a lot. No oil on the ground under the car ever though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Center diff*

If that's haldex oil you probably don't want to operate your awd until you get that refilled and sealed. I'd clean it up and try and see where it's coming from. You really don't want to let that oil damage your DEM.

Have you ever replaced the haldex pump or filter or the oil?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Center diff*

If that's haldex oil you probably don't want to operate your awd until you get that refilled and sealed. I'd clean it up and try and see where it's coming from. You really don't want to let that oil damage your DEM.

Have you ever replaced the haldex pump or filter or the oil?

No on both fronts. Ok, I’ll start with cleaning it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Center diff*

If that's haldex oil you probably don't want to operate your awd until you get that refilled and sealed.

I don't know what you mean by "don't operate your AWD". The Haldex is programmed to engage to some degree under almost all conditions. And from what I have been able to tell, it also locks up solid when braking.

disclaimer: My experience with when the Haldex is engaging is not from scan data, but audible data from when one of the bearings in my angle gear started to fail. It would only be loud when loaded, and by definition the angle gear is only loaded if the rear diff is clutching in.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "don't operate your AWD". The Haldex is programmed to engage to some degree under almost all conditions. And from what I have been able to tell, it also locks up solid when braking.

disclaimer: My experience with when the Haldex is engaging is not from scan data, but audible data from when one of the bearings in my angle gear started to fail. It would only be loud when loaded, and by definition the angle gear is only loaded if the rear diff is clutching in.
Pull the handbrake up one click or pull the fuse...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Pulling the handbrake does not disengage the all wheel drive on my car.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Pulling the handbrake does not disengage the all wheel drive on my car.
There is an input on the haldex for the parking brake engagement sensor because if you have the parking brake on and you have the rear wheels being driven, then boom there goes your parking brake or worse, an axle. If the parking brake light is on on the dash then it will disable the haldex from engaging. Better to just pull the fuse though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
And pulling the parking brake does not disengage mine. I know this experientially: I was in a parking lot the first winter i had the car and wanted to slide the nose over to line up with a spot better like I used to do with my front drive cars, so I lifted the handle enough to turn on the light, and it still spun all four tires. That was embarassing...

If you think having the handbrake on will damage the Haldex, the brake, or the axle, then you have some serious misunderstandings of the forces involved. Those little shoes are just going to slip, they only make enough braking force to hold the car stationary. Look at the size of the regular brakes and figure that THEY are enough to overpower the drivetrain at full boost, and it won't break anything...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
And pulling the parking brake does not disengage mine. I know this experientially: I was in a parking lot the first winter i had the car and wanted to slide the nose over to line up with a spot better like I used to do with my front drive cars, so I lifted the handle enough to turn on the light, and it still spun all four tires. That was embarassing...

If you think having the handbrake on will damage the Haldex, the brake, or the axle, then you have some serious misunderstandings of the forces involved. Those little shoes are just going to slip, they only make enough braking force to hold the car stationary. Look at the size of the regular brakes and figure that THEY are enough to overpower the drivetrain at full boost, and it won't break anything...
It will disengage the haldex. I've done it plenty of times in the snow although I have experienced that one out of a few times where it does not work that's why I said best to pull the fuse.
No sh!t it will slip, I'm talking about from the standpoint of the designers of the system. They do not want the haldex engaged when the parking brake is on.

I'll send you a video this winter of it working so you can see. Or you can just try again and save me the work.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Tristan is correct- the Haldex system is supposed to turn off if you engage the parking brake enough to light the brake light on the dash.

The point is to not use the Haldex until the leak is fixed, the fluid is refilled, etc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 56199

Is it at all possible to know if the pump is ok based on these numbers? I'm planning to do the filter and oil change soon. However I'd like to know if I need to replace the pump before hand as well since I could do it all at once. Looks like its running, also no codes. So it should be fine?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts