SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

So I was bored today so I did this! (LED Swap) CHECK IT OUT

11K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  giligang 
#1 ·
MY04 Complete Instrument Cluster LED Swap CHECK IT OUT

I really wanted the R instrument cluster because I loved the blue gauges and the blue LEDs but trying to find and buy one was way to expensive and I couldn't see wasting that much money when my instrument cluster was perfectly fine. So I searched the forum and found that you can switch the bulbs in the back of the instrument cluster for LEDs.
HOWEVER on MY04 they changed the instrument cluster and this is no longer possible. Disappointed I decided I would unsolder the OEM LEDs and replace them with blue ones. After much searching I found a place that sells LEDs specifically PLCC2 LEDs for .50 cents a piece. I ordered them Tuesday and received them today. Excited I installed them and this is the result. I absolutely love it and it only cost me 25 dollars.

(These pictures are with the needles not installed that is why the center looks so bright, I will take more when I configure the gauge needles)
Here is the result, took a long time but I knew what I was doing have done many of things like this before. Tell me what you guys think!!!

P.S. If any swedespeed members with MY04+ gauges want this done PM me and we'll talk.

Modified by assa55in at 1:04 AM 6-13-2009

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: So I was bored today so I did this! (LED Swap) CHECK IT OUT (assa55in)

Hey I really like the look, I think I will like it even more one you get pics with the needles on becuase right now it looks a little too intense. This would be a cool thing to do on mine but it seems little a little hassle to remove the gauge cluster, unsolder and then re-solder the new ones in...correct me if im wrong tho. Good work none the less http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#3 ·
Re: So I was bored today so I did this! (bpray9223)

Here is the final result I didn't push the needles all the way down because I like the under glow so that is why you see excessive light. With the needles pushed down it looks just like original green; it is not brighter in anyway.

Tell me what you guys think http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#4 ·
Looks great! I did the same thing in my old S80, and I was too lazy to do it again in my S60. The cluster must be way different in the pre 04 P2 cars, because that looks much different than what I had to do. I didn't even have to take it apart, I old replaced the bulbs from behind.

#5 ·
Re: (cmurphy2266)

Yea they apparently changed that in MY04 because there are LEDs pre-attached to the board. Was quite disappointed when I took everything apart and didn't see the screw bases in the back of the instrument cluster. Oh well worth the work IMO didn't take very long either about an hour and a half.

#7 ·
Re: So I was bored today so I did this! (assa55in)

Quote, originally posted by assa55in »
Here is the final result I didn't push the needles all the way down because I like the under glow so that is why you see excessive light. With the needles pushed down it looks just like original green; it is not brighter in anyway.

Hey is there any way you could make this picture bigger? I just want to see it more up close.

#9 ·
Re: So I was bored today so I did this! (Mika)

Here is a bigger picture

Eventually going to change every light that is green to blue when I get more time.

Modified by assa55in at 11:27 PM 6-20-2009

#12 ·
Re: (Pshrynk)

Haha Idk, I'll do it to your R gauges if you'd like?

#15 ·
Continuing the project along.....

Changed environment panel and headlight selector

Next is the HU, Steering wheel controls, Gear indicator and window switches

Modified by assa55in at 11:26 PM 6-20-2009

#17 ·
Re: (StarmanDXE)

I broke mine a while back got the cheapest replacement I could find at the time

#21 ·
Re: (Rezin S60T5)

Thats the next thing I have to do. Pretty standard pop off the airbag and disconnect the controls. The radio buttons have 4 LEDs (1206) and the cruise controls have 6 (1206) LEDs. Will post pictures when the LEDs arrive should come Saturday or Monday will have completed pictures then.

#23 ·
Re: (StarmanDXE)

Yes, everything after 04 are surface mount LEDs not serviceable bulbs. Not a huge deal to solder PCB just need a little skill and a steady hand. PCB can take a lot of abuse from heat and still work fine so there really isn't much to worry about.

#25 ·
Re: (03silvers60)

Here is the final product. Changed Instrument Cluster, HU, Steering Wheel Controls, Headlight Controls, and Environment Panel. Ran out of LEDs so I could not do the window controls but I did everything else.

To see the rest of the pictures and how I did some of the swap go here.

http://ximages.net/main/ag.php?fid=1052&mid=1644

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.