SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its the fuel pressure sensor.

What are my options..

Do I let the dealer fix it for my cost or fix it myself. I am pretty sure I can do it myself but I really dont have the conditions to do it. Not sure how long it will take. Doesnt seem like it will take that long...

Any suggestions as to what steps I should use.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so I have been snooping around and I cant find the FPS cheaper than 180. I will call my dealer tom to see what the part costs at their place but does anyone know where I can get this thing for cheaper. I really dont want to spend close to 200 bucks for FPS.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
There's a few threads about it and a Land-Rover part much cheaper that can be used. Look in the stickies...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a few threads about it and a Land-Rover part much cheaper that can be used. Look in the stickies...
I will check the stickies. I found a thread in the s60r forums but the links to some of those parts didnt work and not sure if the part numbers are the same for our cars.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Yep these two:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?172581-Fuel-Sensor-Replacement-(pics-intensive!)

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?154495

edit
according to some:
Thanks for the write up on this problem. My dealer diagnosed this as my problem also (for free) but wanted $100 to install a new one and $240 for the part. DO NOT BUY THIS PART FROM VOLVO! I just sourced this same part from the Land Rover dealer for $91.74! Land Rover part#LR015294 is EXACTLY the same part at less than half the price. I know this doesn't help you now but if you're going to keep your car as long as I plan on keeping mine, you'll probably need to buy another one a few years down the line.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see so I dont know if I can trust the rover FPS but I think I will go with the tusca part number 31272732 $139 is better than $180

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I called the Rover dealership close to my house they want 104 and have to order it so one to three days. Now I have to call my Volvo dealer and see how much they will want. Tasca parts want a bit more than that ughh what to d:facepalm:eek:ooo

Edit

So tasca has two sensors if you browse the catalog. One for126 the other for 91. Which one is the correct one or both will WORK?????

Also when I type the Volvo part number in tasca it tells me it doesn't fit my car lol. That's the part number Volvo gives.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If money is that big of a deal take a chance and pickup the LandRover part and call it a day . . . ;)
From what I understand from a few people here on SS it really is the same part! . . . but don't hold me to it :p

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If money is that big of a deal take a chance and pickup the LandRover part and call it a day . . . ;)
From what I understand from a few people here on SS it really is the same part! . . . but don't hold me to it :p
I just want to make sure I get the right thing

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So my dealership wanted $234 for the part crazy crazy crazy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would have ordered\used the Land Rover part if dealership\VCNA hadn't stepped up and covered the FPS they replaced in 2010. Excellent writeup in the stickies - followed m4gician's instructions to replace the FPS...took me all of 20 minutes. Once replaced - ask your dealer to confirm if your 05 S40's CEM has been relocated under extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would have ordered\used the Land Rover part if dealership\VCNA hadn't stepped up and covered the FPS they replaced in 2010. Excellent writeup in the stickies - followed m4gician's instructions to replace the FPS...took me all of 20 minutes. Once replaced - ask your dealer to confirm if your 05 S40's CEM has been relocated under extended warranty.
I got the tasca parts one for about 150 not too bad.

Now could you explain more what CEM stands for and what do you mean by relocated under extended warranty

·
Registered
432 Posts
CEM = Central Electronic Module (or similar). Early 2004.5 - 2006 S40's and V50's Were built with the CEM located just in front of the passenger side rear wheel well, exposed to the elements. Over time - the electrical connections corrode and cause all kinds of problems. Volvo issued a technical service bulletin and subsequently extended the warranty on the CEM.

Fix was to install a new CEM and relocate it underneath the rear, driver's side passenger seat of my V50. My CEM failed at the same time as my 2nd FPS. YMMV

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I checked up on that before i purchased the car and it has been relocated :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
I just want to make sure I get the right thing
You'll be fine. Just ordered this part from Rockauto, Land Rover part number was identical to the correct FPS for our cars. Pulled it out of the box and wouldn't ya know it, stamped as an "Volvo" part complete with MFG number. $78 and 3 days to get here.

Little over an hour to replace. Check threads for pics. Careful with the torx nut holding the part, it's tricky and you don't want to strip it. Good luck.

·
Registered
658 Posts
CEM = Central Electronic Module (or similar). Early 2004.5 - 2006 S40's and V50's Were built with the CEM located just in front of the passenger side rear wheel well, exposed to the elements. Over time - the electrical connections corrode and cause all kinds of problems. Volvo issued a technical service bulletin and subsequently extended the warranty on the CEM.

Fix was to install a new CEM and relocate it underneath the rear, driver's side passenger seat of my V50. My CEM failed at the same time as my 2nd FPS. YMMV
Are you talking about the CEM Module or the PEM Module--Pump Electronic Module. Because I had the PEM Module replaced under warranty earlier this year, and was re-located to prevent corrosion. Bad news is that I don't think T5's are covered under this warranty. I could be wrong. You have to call Volvo and give them your VIN. PEM Module can shutdown your car while moving--which it did to me. Luckily, it did this gradually, shutting down the gas pedal response entirely, then lights went out. A ton of messages appeared, one after the other, including immobilizer info. Other electronics shut off, then finally the dash and it was dead. Scary stuff. Luckily, I was a short distance from home and not out cruising the highways at night.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Are you talking about the CEM Module or the PEM Module--Pump Electronic Module. Because I had the PEM Module replaced under warranty earlier this year, and was re-located to prevent corrosion. Bad news is that I don't think T5's are covered under this warranty. I could be wrong. You have to call Volvo and give them your VIN. PEM Module can shutdown your car while moving--which it did to me. Luckily, it did this gradually, shutting down the gas pedal response entirely, then lights went out. A ton of messages appeared, one after the other, including immobilizer info. Other electronics shut off, then finally the dash and it was dead. Scary stuff. Luckily, I was a short distance from home and not out cruising the highways at night.
My bad. PEM it is! What a difference a letter makes! T5 is covered under extended warranty, but Volvo dealer needs the VIN # to check date of manufacture and determine whether covered under extended warranty. Later 2006 S40's and V50's were built with the PEM in the back seat.

Mrs. T's V50 PEM left me stranded in downtown Seattle after 2nd FPS diagnosed bad. AAA Premium towed me home where I replaced the FPS..still wouldn't start AAA Premium tow to dealer, PEM replaced under extended warranty

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So my car just shut off on the highway after a bit of hesitation started right back up. Hope this part arives soon

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Doh! why didn't you get the Rover part? It's a stamped Volvo fps... Oh well. Installation is a breeze!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts