SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove My friends R today and I noticed a couple things different from mine. His is a manual 06 with the same mileage as mine, I have IPD engine and trans mounts as well as strut mount kit, so my car feels a little more "rugged" than his does in terms of engine vibration. I also have my hood blanket removed so my engine and turbo noise is a lot louder than his, but a few things I am curious about are the noise from the turbo and the tire rub.

I can hear my turbo spool up and I also hear a loud whooshing sound when I let off the throttle, but I am curious as to how loud is too loud..as in how do i know if my turbo sounds bad or not? I could just be paranoid and I probably have nothing wrong with my car at all, but is the turbo supposed to be THAT loud even w/o the hood blanket? Anyone with the hood blanket taken off care to chime in?

I do think I have a small vacuum leak somewhere because on cold starts in the morning(after the 20 second fast idle) the engine dips wayyyy below and comes back up to regular idle speed. I get a CEL occasionally for a few days or so and then it goes off. I ordered a VIDA yesterday so I'm waiting on that to come in. Plugs and coils were done over the summer, both of which were badly needed. What else could cause some of these symptoms here? I am extremely religious with my oil changes, and basic things like that so my engine definitely isn't neglected. PCV system is clean and free as it should be as well.

And when it comes to the tire rub..
My car makes that horrible groaning noise at full lock each time and it is ridiculously annoying now. I understand our caRs have a horrible turning radius, but there something has to give with the rubbing and groaning sound!! Is the only solution to go with narrower tires? I am currently running 235/40/18 on stock suspension. I drove my buddy's R and there wasn't a single sound at full lock, when I got out to look at the tires on his I noticed he has 215/45/17's. Is everyone on here with 235/40/18 running experiencing the same thing I am. Its embarrassing riding around with friends and having to explain that noise every time I pull into a parking lot lol
Could spacers cure this?

Overall his car felt much lighter on its feet and a lot torquier than mine. I know my steering feel is a lot heavier because of the IPD strut kit(which i like) but for some reason there was just something slightly different from mine. And I can't quite put my finger on it..I guess not all of ouR caRs drive the same with the many different enhancements we do.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You need to get the CEL Checked when you get VIDA. it might tell you everything.

I hear spacers stop the rub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
876 Posts
And when it comes to the tire rub..
My car makes that horrible groaning noise at full lock
Mine has tire rub issues but I would not descrie it as a groaning sound but as a rubbing sound that is obviously the tire rubbing against something (the inner wheel well in my case). A groaning sound may be something else that needs to be investigated.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
The tire rub can come from worn out turn stops. They're on the front control arms, you can flip them around, which might resolve your issue. Other possibility is that the tires you're running are wider than they claim(happens, especially with the Conti DWS). I had rub with DWS in 245/45/17 but nothing with Blizzaks in 245/45/17 or my Vreds in 235/40/18.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tire rub can come from worn out turn stops. They're on the front control arms, you can flip them around, which might resolve your issue. Other possibility is that the tires you're running are wider than they claim(happens, especially with the Conti DWS). I had rub with DWS in 245/45/17 but nothing with Blizzaks in 245/45/17 or my Vreds in 235/40/18.
The turn stops are built into the control arms, or are they a separate part altogether?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Separate part. And you can just swap them from one arm to the other, instead of buying a new pair. That might help.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5933/113043-steering-stop-limiter

That's what it looks like. It's the same part for either side, and the part that they wear down depends on the side that they're on. So swapping it to the opposing side should give you a better stopping point, without having to replace the stops.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Separate part. And you can just swap them from one arm to the other, instead of buying a new pair. That might help.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5933/113043-steering-stop-limiter

That's what it looks like. It's the same part for either side, and the part that they wear down depends on the side that they're on. So swapping it to the opposing side should give you a better stopping point, without having to replace the stops.
Interesting. Thanks..I'll check them out.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone else comment on some of the other problems?

·
Registered
174 Posts
The tire rub can come from worn out turn stops.
True, and worn out turn stops can come from A)rental cars (an endless train of unfamaliar drivers) and B)drivers who are slow learners.

Independent of any possible tire rub, once I learn where the turn stops are, I 'never' hit them again... (...but I'm such a wuss -- I have so much empathy for the machine[ry] -- I also never turn the steering wheel when the tires are not rolling, nor do I valet park [...most valets don't know any better!])

Bottom line: IMHO the solution isn't smaller tires, or bigger turn stops (which increase the turning radius), it's knowing when to stop turning the wheel! (Knowing the car's turning radius, and avoiding impossible situations, also helps.)

in my experience, before reaching the steering stop, Continental DWSs and CCSs can rub; Michelin PS2s and PSSs and Hankook K110s don't... The only thing(s) that's wrong with these caRs is their design.

the rubbing and groaning sound!!
Well, rubbing is from rolling with the steering turned too far. The solution is simple: don't do that! But groaning could come from a lifetime of trying to use power steering to turn the wheels farther than they can turn. Perhaps this does not pertain to you, but if you're not nice and kind to your tires and your steering, don't expect them to be nice and kind to you.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Another tire that does not rub is the Bridgestone Pole Position Potenza A/S tire. Some 235 width tires are "wider" than others. Otherwise 5 or 10 mm spacers may cure the rub. But as said, steering stops may be the culprit.

As for turbo whoosh/noise, (to my knowledge) as long as you dont have any smoke/funny smells, massive CELs, and the turbo boosts to 14 or so PSI, it's fine. I have run my car in various combos with the hood blanket and airbox lid off, and I will say without the blanket and the airbox lid there is considerable noise from the engine bay. I used to drive an LPT car and even that was loud without the hood blanket.

But as was also said, checking that CEL through vida or a mechanic will probably lead you to your answer about your car not being as timid and quick.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another tire that does not rub is the Bridgestone Pole Position Potenza A/S tire. Some 235 width tires are "wider" than others. Otherwise 5 or 10 mm spacers may cure the rub. But as said, steering stops may be the culprit.

As for turbo whoosh/noise, (to my knowledge) as long as you dont have any smoke/funny smells, massive CELs, and the turbo boosts to 14 or so PSI, it's fine. I have run my car in various combos with the hood blanket and airbox lid off, and I will say without the blanket and the airbox lid there is considerable noise from the engine bay. I used to drive an LPT car and even that was loud without the hood blanket.

But as was also said, checking that CEL through vida or a mechanic will probably lead you to your answer about your car not being as timid and quick.

Let us know what you find.
Thanks for your input. I probably should invest in a boost gauge and learn how to read one as well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You can replace the turn stops as mentioned above, or (as I did), place 2 to 4 washers under the stops which will increase the turning radius a tiny bit. (hardly noticeable)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts