SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The pictures do not do the color justice, it's quite a bit darker than the bright silver they were, and I dropped the gloss down a bit.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

My daughter used my car for 4 mos.(I drove the 242 w/V8) and curbed every single wheel this one was the worst, part of the lettering was gouged.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It took 6 hrs. to prep, degreaser, sanding, filling, resanding, filling,etc. and literally 15 minutes to paint, they all came out perfect. The color looks much better in person, it's titanium, sort of, with a little gold metal flake. It looks dark silver at some angles and you can see the gold in the sunshine, other wise it looks a couple shades darker than the bright silver they were. I wish I had a better camera.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Looks good and free of paint imperfections. Good job!
15 min? how many coats did you apply? . . . How about primer and clear coat? Road stuff is hard on paint. I'd hate for your work to end-up with chipped paint on every stone impact :p

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The painting part is pretty quick,one coat, 1-2 mils, catalyzed urethane basecoat, let it dry 30 minutes at 70 degrees, one coat, 2 mils. catalyzed clear urethane. 2 1/2 hours later they were back on the car. But I had an easy 1 1/2 hrs of prep per wheel prior to paint, sanding, filling and masking. Once all that's done, put it on a cart, wheel into the spray booth, a minute later it's basecoated. I didn't prime them, there was an existing coat of black primer under the original coat of bright silver, which I sanded down to in spots during prep.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Madden just agreed to respray my Fikse's race gold :thumbup:

But seriously that looks really good. And seriously I wanna redo my wheels haha.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kyle, you do the prep, bring them down and I'll shoot them, I have a couple of gold metallics in the enamel basecoat and I have plenty of clearcoat, all you have to do is bring the beer.
The coating I use is PPG's Delfleet single stage high solids catalyzed polyurethane enamel followed by their catalyzed acrylic urethane clearcoat. It's nice product.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What do you use to fill it with if I may ask. I have a few spots on mine that I may want to correct.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Epoxy and spot filler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts