SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the dealer for an oil change, and I decided to ask for an entire list of all the service work that has been done to it, as I bought the car with ~50000 miles on it. Got through reading it and wow, half of my car has new parts on it. Windows, MOST engine gaskets, locks, ignition, various suspension parts...the list goes on. The question I have for you guys is this. How much work have you had done to yours, cause this seems like a lot of extra stuff that shouldn't have had to be replaced yet. I have had little problems with it, but I dont know, it kinda worried me. Any input?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Re: so how many problems have you guys had... (deep60)

I have an late '01 S60 2.4t.

I had to replace the turn signal stalk and change the windshield wiper blades. That's all the parts I've had to put into it (besides obvious things like oil and wheels)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: so how many problems have you guys had... (VolvoLT)

I have an 01 s60 2.4 T

I myself only had to replace a faulty alternator.

And also the Recall on the ETM (Software)

I bought it with a replaced ETM (Yellow Sticker), you guys know what I mean.

Other than that, nothing else http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: so how many problems have you guys had... (wrodri54)

We bought ours with 42K on it and it dropped an alternator in the first 2 weeks. Since then, nothing.

·
Registered
530 Posts

02 S60 N/A - bought new, now has 35,000 miles. Only work other than routine maintenance has been a couple of software downloads.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Re: (CarterStClair)

Quote, originally posted by CarterStClair »
05 S60 - still new because everything's been replaced

I have an 05 T5 and the only problem I've had is with the turn signals and trip computer. They just replaced the steering module under warranty and everything seems to be good to go now. Other than that, no complaints!!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
05 S60 bought new: so far, nothing replaced (except oil/filters, of course).

04 XC90, also bought new: several intake and exhaust hoses replaced, tie rods replaced (recall) and several software downloads.

Would buy either car again in a heartbeat. They are both _SO_ much fun!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

not really any problems, but did break a couple things:

1. froze left front headlight wiper to headlight in winter and burned the wiper motor
2. broke a front spring seat on hard bump on highway

everything else has been perfecto. Car is now 3 years old (2004 Model Year)
odometer is 43472 so far.

·
Registered
424 Posts
1.) ETM Software Recall(free of charge)
2.) Turbo Drain Piep Seal(extended warranty)
3.) End links(extended warranty)
4.) Fan Belt
5.) Headlight(accidentally melted the harness)
6.) Piston Kit(fixed the hard shifts w/ auto tranny) but not neccessary

All in all not too much. Like I said, the piston kit was voluntary. The fan belt is expected because it's made of rubber and down here in Texas, rubber doesn't last long. The headlight harness melted because I didn't connect a bulb correctly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: (T5Killa)

01 S60 T5 40K miles
Had to replace all three motor mounts, major leak in front cam seal, transmission problems: dealer siad I would have to replace it, I said no thanks I'll just stick with the one in their until it falls out, they wanted $3400 to replace it by the way.
I just bought the car at 35k and if I knew I was going to have this much trouble I wouldnt have but hindsight is 20/20. The car was previously a corporate lease but whoever it was leased to must not have been doing the required maintenance on it or something. Oh well, live and learn, Ill never buy another leased vehicle, and probably never buy another Volvo.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: (grovesj2)

Our neighbor has an 06 S60 AWD with 16,000 miles on it and a recurring problem with the tire pressure sensor. Any other S60 owners experiencing the same problem? I drove her car the other day and there is a definite rattle-like sound coming from the front left wheel when the car is moving. Our local dealer has had it in the shop 7 times with no long-term success.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: (grovesj2)

Quote, originally posted by grovesj2 »
01 S60 T5 40K miles
Had to replace all three motor mounts, major leak in front cam seal, transmission problems: dealer siad I would have to replace it, I said no thanks I'll just stick with the one in their until it falls out, they wanted $3400 to replace it by the way.
I just bought the car at 35k and if I knew I was going to have this much trouble I wouldnt have but hindsight is 20/20. The car was previously a corporate lease but whoever it was leased to must not have been doing the required maintenance on it or something. Oh well, live and learn, Ill never buy another leased vehicle, and probably never buy another Volvo.

You shouldn't quit Volvo entirely, ANY car that has been mistreated will have problems later. Just buy newer used cars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: (NRM8573)

I wouldnt quit Volvo because I got a bad one, but because there cost of service is totally outrageous. I paid $580 dollars just for them to replace the front cam seal, the seal itself was only about $50 so that comes out to be about $500 in labor, I think thats just a little ridiculous for changing a seal. Also, it really pisses me off that they want $94 just to look at your car, thats a bit high for an estimate. I know that dealership service costs are high for almost all brands of cars, but with a Volvo you pretty much have to take it to the dealer. They make the car so damned complicated that most other places dont know how to work on it. (Rant complete)
On the other hand, I really like my T5, its very comfortable, it rides nice (if you can look past the rough shifting), its got some balls without sucking down the gas, I like all the little gadgets especially the way you can hit a button and the rear head rests pop down, I have so much fun with that every time someone is in the back HEHEHE!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts