SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Heres My Problem ... Or Problems? (any thoughts help)

Whats going on so ive been on the advnaced search going nutty since ive gotten my R a few months ago and still nothing. Let me tell you the amount of words Volvo owners use to describe the same noise could fill a book! lol which im finding is a gift and a curse in my efforts to track down the solution.

So, well start on this foot. 2005 S60R - M66 - 126k (all major services are up to date). Got the car and drove it for a week or two to see really what i wanted to take on. Mainly what i was going for was a stage 0 tune up. After driving around for those two weeks I started searching misc noises and such and never really found a answer but what i did find was alot of info that basicaly set my mind on replacing anything that was mentioned if it had relevancy to my problems/noises.

I tried to take Videos but im sorry to say the iphone doesnt make it noticable nore does my go pro. maybe my D3100 can take a try next.

Heres the lsit of everyting i did the First go round i threw her up on some stands.
- IPD Upper mount (poly) AMAZING CHANGE!
- IPD Trans Torque Link (oem style bushings) SPOT ON! great shifts.
- IPD upgraded Steering stops for 235/18 - took 5 mins but tires still rub lol no biggy
- Cleaned the MAF - of course with MAF cleaner and 4-7 squirts with drying time and dripping time
- IPD HD TCV - (oem line) upgraded to Silicone lines a week later
- ECU Relearn - took - and + from the battery and earthed them together
- NGK OEM Spark Plugs - other ones were leaned out almost
- IPD subframe inserts - i recommend this to EVERYONE takes 30 mins max to do (with the right tools)
- IPD cross bracing inserts - NO MORE SLOP!
- OEM fuel filter
- OEM front and rear end links
-

and a oil change for good measure lol let me tell you going from Nissan motors to these the oil change was the hardest part :facepalm:

Prior to all this i noticed a "Grumble Rumble" that is RPM consistant (it resonates in the cabin where its heard the best.. ENGINE WARM OR COLD DOESNT MATTER) . sounds like the car is STRUGGLING for power or STUMBLING on itself. if youve had a short ram intake its almost exactly like that but deeper. it starts around 2000 RPMs and goes until i shift around 3000rpms depending on how high i rev it. since everything gets louder the faster you go im sure it must carry on with the RPM. i cant get it to be very pronounced at a stop with just reving the engine but i can almost slightly hear it. im going to just say these few words for if anyone searches what i TRIED TO search lol
RUMBLE , GRUMBLE , ROUGH , RPM , DEPENDENT , CONSISTENT , RELATED , SHORTRAM , GROWLING , GROWL , GROAN , ROAR , NOISE

heres what i did to make sure it wasnt drive train related. get up to 40 mph (cruising) id give it some gas to make sure the noise is there (by the way its only UNDER LOAD) first i let off the gas to see how it slowed down if it slowed faster than normal id figure it to be something causing friction and making the vehicle hesitate when i got on it.
1st attempt - 40mph - let off gas and it slowed normal
2nd attempt - 40 mph - clutch down and still slowed normal
3rd attempt - 40mph - car out of gear in neutral off the clutch slowed normal

so drive train resistance out of the equation the noise was still there under load during normal driving, hard driving, hammering on it whatever its there.

i showed it to a few people and they said the same thing. sounds like a intake noise. i checked the lines and every thing inbetween.

for everyone that read thru that i thank you for any input its driving me insane
i replaced my CBV with a VIVA CBV just to see if it would help and nothing.
after that i did a DP because ... well thats just me making myself think i have a clogged cat so i mean i HADDDDDDD to buy a catless down pipe right? i mean come on guys its only logical :D
after the down pipe i gained a NEW NOISE a whirling noise almost like one of these whistles.

only when i let off like the turbo spooling down but very ..... pronounced. probably normal but figured id mention it and show you a picture of EXACTLY what it sounds like when you let off the gas with the turbo spooled lol

so Grumble rumble groan struggle noise? any thoughts? Next is a FMIC to see if it might be that.

and for testing next is a leak down test or boost check. i DO NOT HAVE A BOOST GAUGE so thats out of the picture for now but i do have one other THEORY .... COULD IT BE THE SNOW VALVE STUCK OPEN?

im not concerned the car is going to go BOOM im concerned my temper is and im going to procced to go hard on this car til it shows me where the noise is coming from lol

thanks guys like i said i searched and searched and googled some on top of that ... nothing. if ayone thinks i missed something replacing things let me know! ill probably buy it if it makes sence and someday this noise will be a thing of the past.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Resonator delete?

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Jesus Christ Dan.

I told you I would data log, read codes, pressure test and everything but your not lettin me help. -___-

The spool down noise is the viva CBV.

But seriously let's get together and do all these things!!!!!!

-Connor

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is time I'm always at work 8-9 and when I'm not I end up having other tasks to do. I end up diagnosing the car on and off on the way to work. And what would a resonator delete do to help the noise and the noise was befor the cbv and also after the cbv as well as the hissing

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Humor me and give me a day to at least stop by for a few

Is this a performance loss issue or noise only
Is the OP nuts? Some guy is begging to help him and he is completely ignoring.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Votes: charge air pipe, hole in one of the hoses on the cold side of the interfooler.

Also, you're an asshat for buying a catless DP. It doesn't give you any extra performance over a high-flow cat.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
this rumble noise, when was the last time you changed tires?

Worn tires are notorious for introducing noise. My wife put 33k on her 2010 Mini Cooper CLubman S from day one and i put on 200 miles of that. last 5000 miles she complained about a rumble noise like a wheel bearing going bad. tires had plenty of tread left. If i was not the person that drove the car to work, heard the noises it made, installed the new tires and drove it home and heard nothing but silence. I would never have believed her

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this rumble noise, when was the last time you changed tires?

Worn tires are notorious for introducing noise. My wife put 33k on her 2010 Mini Cooper CLubman S from day one and i put on 200 miles of that. last 5000 miles she complained about a rumble noise like a wheel bearing going bad. tires had plenty of tread left. If i was not the person that drove the car to work, heard the noises it made, installed the new tires and drove it home and heard nothing but silence. I would never have believed her
Tires are new and it doesnt make the noise when maintaining the same speed its only under engine load

Votes: charge air pipe, hole in one of the hoses on the cold side of the interfooler.

Also, you're an asshat for buying a catless DP. It doesn't give you any extra performance over a high-flow cat.

CNT catted = 300 .... OBX cat-less w/ vibrant hook o2 spacer = 190 ... Soooooo Yea.. asshat over here saved 110 buck-a-roos ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Humor me and give me a day to at least stop by for a few

Is this a performance loss issue or noise only
hard to tell on the performance side sometimes feels like it rips and other times not so if it is a loss its very minimal. im more concerned its something wanting to let go like axle wise and under load its semi knocking around but when you just drive at the same speed its quiet. i doubt its main engine related if you know what i mean lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the OP nuts? Some guy is begging to help him and he is completely ignoring.
Hi, no not nuts actually quite sane... i work as a photographer/ social media expert / PA to the GM / and whatever they throw at me ... the job is a 8am-? kinda thing and when i leave i have no intensions of working on my car half the time lmao . Connor has offered help since the beggining i quite frankly havent had time. if you see what i said yesterday i end up trying to find new ways of provoking the noise driving to and from work to get a general idea of the ways i can show people. so far the only way is normal driving lol no way to aggrivate it more... ive tried.

when i do find time its spur of the moment and i usually have parts stacked up to throw at it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so far i have down to check
- Charge air pipe (im guessing a seal to check? ive actually considered changing the OTE to turbo gasket)
- Hole in one of the hoses (excellent idea a buddy recommended that too i can totally see it happening since they havent been changed and the ones i did remove once were somewhat sketchy)

i also thought check the Secondary IC for holes/cracks from road debris that may have broken something? im basically making a long list of things and "what ifs" sometimes it pays off

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Jesus Christ Dan.

I told you I would data log, read codes, pressure test and everything but your not lettin me help. -___-

The spool down noise is the viva CBV.

But seriously let's get together and do all these things!!!!!!

-Connor
You can come help me. Lets see I got portier field front pads,gen 2 boost gauge,poly sub frame mounts,clear tail lihgt bubls and a few other things if your that bored.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts