SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite what some here have claimed repeatedly, Volvo's CEO has now stated the true intentions of purchasing Polestar. Unfortunately, it's going to take more than a 4 cylinder engine and an electric motor to get it done.

http://jalopnik.com/volvo-already-has-plans-for-a-polestar-s90-and-v90-may-1745846946

"Speaking to Autocar, Volvo’s CEO Håkan Samuelsson acknowledged the competition, saying that taking on the likes of the BMW M-cars, Audi’s S-line, and Mercedes-AMG was the motivation behind Volvo buying Polestar."

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
It is no brain S/V90 will get Polestar model. Nobody would be satisfied with only S/V60.

How much more power they want to squeeze out is the real question. Ultimately the 450hp engine is the best thing we all wish. :)

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is no brain S/V90 will get Polestar model. Nobody would be satisfied with only S/V60.

How much more power they want to squeeze out is the real question. Ultimately the 450hp engine is the best thing we all wish. :)

My purpose with this thread was not so much about the P* models but about the comment by Samuelsson that they are actually targeting AMG, M and S Line which is the opposite of what they said just months ago before they bought P*. I posted this in the S/V90 forum to talk about the actual cars, which you already saw.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Volvo gettin' mo meaner as time goes on. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Siemens rear motor used in the T8 is scalable to 200kw / 272hp...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Unfortunately, it's going to take more than a 4 cylinder engine and an electric motor to get it done.

http://jalopnik.com/volvo-already-has-plans-for-a-polestar-s90-and-v90-may-1745846946

"Speaking to Autocar, Volvo’s CEO Håkan Samuelsson acknowledged the competition, saying that taking on the likes of the BMW M-cars, Audi’s S-line, and Mercedes-AMG was the motivation behind Volvo buying Polestar."
You're right, Volvo/Polestar need to pull off a great handling vehicle just as they have done with the V60/S60 Polestar models. These days the power wars rage on, especially among the German cars, but Audis these days drive just like Hyundais/Kias, regardless of the lettering. What Volvo/Polestar need to do is make sure not to do that, instead, focusing on a car that is actually fun to drive with direct, communicative steering and sharp brakes.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
You're right, Volvo/Polestar need to pull off a great handling vehicle just as they have done with the V60/S60 Polestar models. These days the power wars rage on, especially among the German cars, but Audis these days drive just like Hyundais/Kias, regardless of the lettering. What Volvo/Polestar need to do is make sure not to do that, instead, focusing on a car that is actually fun to drive with direct, communicative steering and sharp brakes.
Still the biggest flaw of Polestar is the power delivery. To much geared toward midrange without high end performance. A performance car simply needs to keep building it's power toward redline. No e-throttle trickery can hide that.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Still the biggest flaw of Polestar is the power delivery. To much geared toward midrange without high end performance. A performance car simply needs to keep building it's power toward redline. No e-throttle trickery can hide that.
Couldn't that be said about any of today's factory turbo sports sedans? They all peak power around 6K RPM and have flat torque curves from about 2K onward. At least Volvo's Drive-E engines are linear in how they build and lose boost, not like the 4 cyl models from BMW and Ford which lose 95% of their power after 5800RPM.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Couldn't that be said about any of today's factory turbo sports sedans? They all peak power around 6K RPM and have flat torque curves from about 2K onward. At least Volvo's Drive-E engines are linear in how they build and lose boost, not like the 4 cyl models from BMW and Ford which lose 95% of their power after 5800RPM.
Volvo after 4500 rpm ..

·
Registered
434 Posts
And yet in the UK, the reaction dictates

: ""Volvo now has the self-confidence to go its own way - we have no interest in copying the German brands," said Connor. "There is no point in trying to outhandle the 3 Series or whatever, we have our own values around exterior and interior design, safety, comfort and powertrain advancements that stand out for their own qualities." - See more at: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/201...s-engine-options/1329144#sthash.gyD6LObd.dpuf

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I reckon that Connor guy is a BMW secret agent! And he's not alone. It's about time Volvo guys stopped half-apologizing for their cars.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sadly for most of the West, Europe, UK and even half of Asia, the German brands set the benchmark; Whether its quality, handling or powerful engines. I dont think Volvo would ever deny that they are out to steal the buyers away. But they aren't ever going to admit it from a worldwide perspective; one has to be realistic. Even if Volvo say they are doing things differently, the added perception of metal, wood, chrome and soft furnishings will always bring any car brand back to similarities with German brands. As well as general styling and designing.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
And we cannot look at PHEV T8 Polestar to compete with German perf cars. T6 Polestar should be the one but perf is lower inherently.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Peaking at 6K RPMs is just fine (and fun) as long as the engine winds freely and with refinement up to that point. The drive-e's are crap after 2,500 RPM's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
And we cannot look at PHEV T8 Polestar to compete with German perf cars. T6 Polestar should be the one but perf is lower inherently.

goVolvo, why would the PHEV T8 be un-competitive from a performance standpoint? Volvo doesn't seem interested in winning the hP wars or having the absolute lowest 1/4 mile times, but focuses on driveability at any speed.

My perception is that the electric rear drivetrain on the new T8 has the <i>potential</i> to provide instantaneous RWD performance from a stop (e.g. reducing torque steer) and extra push through acceleration or turns to calm down understeer. This should make it a great drivetrain for autocross or touring type racing.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
If they aren't interested in winning the HP wars, then why are they flaunting the status of the (400+HP) T8 output figures?

Volvo Cars' all-new XC90 will be the world’s most powerful and cleanest SUV

• All-wheel drive, seven seats and ultra-low emissions of around 60g/km
• Up to 400 hp and 640 Nm of torque
• New Volvo-developed Twin Engine technology
https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/147932/volvo-cars-all-new-xc90-will-be-the-worlds-most-powerful-and-cleanest-suv

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
goVolvo, why would the PHEV T8 be un-competitive from a performance standpoint? Volvo doesn't seem interested in winning the hP wars or having the absolute lowest 1/4 mile times, but focuses on driveability at any speed.

My perception is that the electric rear drivetrain on the new T8 has the <i>potential</i> to provide instantaneous RWD performance from a stop (e.g. reducing torque steer) and extra push through acceleration or turns to calm down understeer. This should make it a great drivetrain for autocross or touring type racing.
Perf car drivers wouldn't agree it is a fair comparison between T8 Polestar and German perf cars. And battery boosted performance won't last longer than 20 miles.
It certainly can be tuned to excel in many aspects of perf driving and handling but it is not fair to be heard-on compared with ICE perf cars. Its weight, gas mpg, perf in long trip, are very different from ICE perf cars.
It is in its own class that MB, Audi, BMW PHEV are joining in and following right now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If they aren't interested in winning the HP wars, then why are they flaunting the status of the (400+HP) T8 output figures?
BMO Pete, a fair question. I said "win", not "compete." A ~300hp T6 will be hopelessly outclassed by something like a BMW M3. Place the PHEV T8 in an S60 and, if Volvo/Polestar can figure out how to maximize performance--it sounds like the XC90 is not quite there yet--it is a player in the same field, if not the all-out champ.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BMO Pete, a fair question. I said "win", not "compete." A ~300hp T6 will be hopelessly outclassed by something like a BMW M3. Place the PHEV T8 in an S60 and, if Volvo/Polestar can figure out how to maximize performance--it sounds like the XC90 is not quite there yet--it is a player in the same field, if not the all-out champ.
This little thing called weight is the the issue. The T8 adds a few hundred lbs of weight to the car which is the last thing you want in a performance car. There is also not enough room for a big enough battery to support a High Power Electric Motor. I spent 7+ hours yesterday driving my V60 P* aggressively. That would not be possible in a T8 application.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts