SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the snowflake symbol next to the temp on the gauge cluster this AM. Temp ws above freezing. When does the symbol appear?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
When the car thinks that the temp is close enough to freezing that there may be slick road surfaces......usually within a few degrees above.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I saw that this morning for the first time too!

Any other hidden (as in, "not in the manual") symbols I should watch for?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I saw that this morning for the first time too!

Any other hidden (as in, "not in the manual") symbols I should watch for?
This isn't new to Volvo's, they've had the "Snowflake" symbol for a long time now.

Mine came on at 31 degrees here in NJ around 6am.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Comes on at 36 degrees F.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Mine has it and it's a 1999 model. And yes, usually comes on slightly above freezing temperatures as a precautionary warning.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
When the car thinks that the temp is close enough to freezing that there may be slick road surfaces......usually within a few degrees above.
Actually, the car does not "think". It uses the external temp sensor and when the ambient temp hits 36 degrees F (+2 Celsius) the snowflake will appear to warn the driver that (potentially) wet spots could be turning slick. I will stay all the way through 23 degrees F (about -5 Celsius). Once the temp goes lower than that, it will disappear.

·
Registered
459 Posts
This is not unique to Volvo. Many cars show a snowflake warning when the temperature drops to near freezing.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
This isn't new to Volvo's, they've had the "Snowflake" symbol for a long time now.

Mine came on at 31 degrees here in NJ around 6am.
This is my first Volvo and it isn't mentioned in the manual. I RTFMed several times and searched the PDF yesterday...

My wife's car (non-Volvo) also has the indicator.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Every vehicle I've had with a temp sensor give you a warning at 37 degrees Fahrenheit. I believe this is because the ground could be cooler than the air temp, so warning is given that there may be slick spots forming.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Odd that this is not in the manual (I could not find it either). I did find this in the
XC90 manual (searching PDF):

When the ambient temperature is between 23° and 36 °F (–5° and +2 °C), a snowflake symbol is shown in the display.

So below 23F it is off.

This time of year we think about the temps falling and that gives a false trigger since ice has
not accumulated. It is the temp rising from below freezing to above freezing (early morning) where
there is still ice on the ground that I think is most important to warn about.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Odd that this is not in the manual (I could not find it either). I did find this in the
XC90 manual (searching PDF):

When the ambient temperature is between 23° and 36 °F (–5° and +2 °C), a snowflake symbol is shown in the display.

So below 23F it is off.

This time of year we think about the temps falling and that gives a false trigger since ice has
not accumulated. It is the temp rising from below freezing to above freezing (early morning) where
there is still ice on the ground that I think is most important to warn about.
Also not mentioned in the manual is the automatic rear defroster kicking in at startup when the OAT is below about 45F.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Guess the SnowFlake was right last night, haha! FYI the tires handled fine in the several inches that we got and some sections were a heavy/slush mix, no slippage at all!

At Red Bull Arena waiting for the game to start, needless to say it got postponed to tonight.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
NJ gets no rest!
Tell me about it! Can you believe the stupid DC United coach kept on insisting to play this match, eventhough roughly 6" of heavy wet snow kept falling at Blizzard like conditions; the guy is mental!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Another feature is auto window roll-up. With your windows down, press and hold the lock button on your car door. It may work, it may not

1 - 17 of 17 Posts