SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm a high school student and, as such, on a rather limited budget. <p>I'm currently driving on Dunlop studless snow tires. They have plenty of tread left on them. I'm considering keeping them on until they're worn out and then just buying all-weather tires. I've heard some people say that this is fine as long as I don't mind a bumpy ride and sub-optimal gas mileage, but others who claim that running snow tires at too high a tempurature causes the rubber to "melt off," or at least wear a lot faster. <p>Any advice? Keep in mind, I'm trying to spend as little money in the short term as possible.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Snow tires for summer? (dwightleewest)

If you want to get out of spending money for a little while, you're in luck. There's no problem with running snow tires in the summer. You will have crappy handling (squirmy), and they will be noisy. You should have pretty good wet traction, though. <p>However, you probably won't have them to use next winter. So you'll be buying a set of all season tires for the winter when you have good snows now. <p>I'd suggest just biting the bullet and getting some all seasons now that don't have the greatest snow traction, and switching off. You will be happy next winter.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
I agree....bite the bullet as you will have to eventually anyway. If you want to get off cheap and still get a decent tire, check out the Avon or Kumho tires at <A HREF="http://www.tirerack.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.tirerack.com</A>

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: Snow tires for summer? (dwightleewest)

They will wear a LOT faster, that's true. So, unless you do super low mileage, by the time you reach next winter they'll be pretty worn down and not have much tread for winter grip.<p>One major concern is that at temps more than 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit above freezing your traction will be drastically less than with a summer tire. (i.e. big time increased braking distance, way less speed on corners, etc) This no problem if you drive regularly, but if you like to push hard around corners and/or drive agressively you may end up in some dangerous situations.<br>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts