SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not really winter time yet....

But I am in the market of picking up some snow tires to take my summer tires off.

What do you guys run?
What do you suggest?
I'm looking for the meanest most crazy snow tire everrr

Thanks!

-Connor

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
i used pirelli winter carving edge on my mk3 jetta and it handled amazing in the snow..
as for our Rs i think continental dws will be sufficient enough

·
Registered
171 Posts
Anyone have any experience with Dunlop winter sports?
Yeah, I have Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. Awesome tire. Impressive handling all around. Stiff sidewalls are a little rough on the choppy New England Roads, but not too big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have ran Blizzaks on an older impala. They handle well, but can be noisy when the roads are dry.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You want tires for the best snow performance or "performance oriented" snow tires?
I want the best of both worlds.

Superior snow traction, but when it's dry I want to have good enough dry traction to push the limits of the car ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dunlop Wintersports. On my second set and can't imaging a better tire for New England weather and roads. Excellent grip and handling on dry roads - which is most of the time - and works great in wet or dry snow.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I would call tire rack and ask them.
Tell them the conditions you will need them for, they'll be happy to steer you in the right direction

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
856 Posts
I have used Blizzak WS-sereies and LM series. For highway driving, the LM would be better, but for ultimate traction, I have found the WS series to be very good. Have NEVER gotten stuck, even in a few feet of snow using the front of my car as a plow (not the volvo)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I want the best of both worlds.

Superior snow traction, but when it's dry I want to have good enough dry traction to push the limits of the car ;)
I've used Nokian Hakkapelitta II's, Dunlop Wintersport, Blizzack LM22's and Hankook W300's on the R. The Nokians were great snow tires. Blizzack was a great dry performance snow tire. I'll be trying the new Hankook W310's on the 335 for this upcoming winter season.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've used Nokian Hakkapelitta II's, Dunlop Wintersport, Blizzack LM22's and Hankook W300's on the R. The Nokians were great snow tires. Blizzack was a great dry performance snow tire. I'll be trying the new Hankook W310's on the 335 for this upcoming winter season.
did you like the dunlops?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have used Nokians on 2 of my R's great tires but noisy.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s for winter tires. Had them on my R and now they're going on my Subaru STi. They are a hybrid between a snow tire tread and a high performance road tire.

Grip in snow and on ice is slightly reduced compared to something like the X-Ice 2 (or 3) but they're friggin V-rated for speed instead of H. Handling is like 90% of my summer tires instead of 60%. It's a great compromise for someone who usually has enough traction because of AWD and doesn't want to turn their high performance car into a wallowy pig all winter.

I only got stuck once on them in spite of record amounts of snow the last couple winters, and that's because I slid the car sidways into a sort of ditch and got the car nearly high centered on a ridge of packed snow. Even still I would have had enough traction to get out, but backing up would have ripped the front bumper cover off.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Michelin x-ice 2's are an aggressive tyre for snow and ice covered roads, and are excellent in the wet in my opinion. However in the dry you sacrifice some handling like you would expect with a snow tyre. The pilot alpine's as said before are less aggressive on snow and ice and have better dry handling characteristics.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts