SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the snowy north and usually get dedicated winter tires. My current favorite is the Nokian Hakkapelita R2 SUV.
My Momentum plus has the 20" wheels currently with the Pirelli's 275/45/20.

Would you recommend I:

1) stick with 20" and mount on same rime (the matte black)
2) stick with 20" but with cheaper dedicated snow rims (protect the originals from salt)
3) run 19" snows on dedicated rims

if the 19's, is there any additional programming of the spedo or TPMS that is required? (actually how is Volvo TPMS set up - is it in the rim).

Other thoughts on sizes, fav tires, or wheels?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm interested in opinions, as well, since I expect to be taking delivery just prior to snow season. I went with the 20" wheels on my R-Design since I knew I'd be buying snows at some point; the 22" were just too big and I'm not convinced 19" will have the right "look".

I will be checking with my dealer to see if they have any offers I can take advantage of; generally not a good idea to buy wheels/tires from a dealer but with my last car I was able to work a deal with a separate snow package included, so it might be worth at least an inquiry this time too.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Hakka R2's are very good snow tires. Narrower tires will perform better than wider tires. I found that the Hakka 7's while potentially being a tad louder are actually better on snow since theyre more aggressive tread wise and softer compositionally.

·
Registered
515 Posts
What is with the use of the adjective "dedicated" when talking about winter tires and wheels? As opposed to what? Indifferent winter tires and wheels?

Oh, and my answer would be going with 19in wheels and winter tires.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Nooooooooooot yet :( :biggrinsanta:

·
Registered
826 Posts
My vote is number 3. If your going through the expense might as well get the best snow setup.

If its like most cars, TPMS sensors are mounts in each tires. You'll need to buy a set for your winter rims and have them program in the Volvo with new serial number. Once this is done you can toggle between summer rims and winter rims from the sensus. Note I don't have any experience with this Volvo but this was with my other cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm really interested to hear views on this too. I would also like to know why Volvo don't recommend using snow chains on the 20" (or greater) rims. If your car came originally with the larger rims it will also have wheel arch extenders - would the smaller wheels look odd with those in place? Does a smaller rim have also have a smaller rolling diameter or are they the same?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
How inappropriate for snow are the installed FE tires?
I'll be finding out this winter in NYC, but I don't expect them to 'wow' me. I just hope they work as well as the all seasons my many previous vehicles had. Getting separate snow tires is out of the question for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If its like most cars, TPMS sensors are mounts in each tires. You'll need to buy a set for your winter rims and have them program in the Volvo with new serial number. Once this is done you can toggle between summer rims and winter rims from the sensus. Note I don't have any experience with this Volvo but this was with my other cars.
Actually, my technician mentioned yesterday that the new XC90 doesn´t use TMPS-senors in the rim. The car uses the abs-senors to calculate the tirepressure. Doesn´t know if this applies to all XC90?

I went for 19" Ixion rims with Nokian Hakka 8 (Spiked).

·
Registered
826 Posts
Good to know! Just read up on it. Not as precise as TPMS actual sensors but you know what, simple and good enough for me!

Indirect Systems
use the vehicle's anti-lock braking system's wheel speed sensors to compare the rotational speed of one tire versus the others. If a tire is low on pressure, it will roll at a different number of revolutions per mile than the other three and alert the vehicle's on-board computer. Indirect systems (except for the TPMS on several 2009+ Audi models and 2010+ Volkswagen models) are unable to generate accurate readings in cases where all four tires are losing pressure at the same rate, such as the effects of time and temperature.

I though a direct system was law in the US (which then becomes Canadian law) but turns out their both accepted.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) provides vehicle manufacturers options with which they can comply with the law. One option is to install a direct tire pressure monitoring system that uses pressure sensors located in each wheel to directly measure the pressure in each tire and warns drivers when the air pressure in any of their tires drops at least 25% below the recommended cold tire inflation pressure identified on the vehicle placard. Another option is to install an indirect tire pressure monitoring system that would warn the driver when a single tire has lost at least 25% of its inflation pressure compared to other tires on the vehicle. While direct systems could offer more precise warning thresholds, indirect systems cannot offer the same information or accuracy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
TPMS is a valve system as the manual states certainly in the UK that it measures the pressure. Also in car status the display shows the individual pressures which ABS sensors can't do.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Actually, my technician mentioned yesterday that the new XC90 doesn´t use TMPS-senors in the rim. The car uses the abs-senors to calculate the tirepressure. Doesn´t know if this applies to all XC90?
Well in fact XC90 can be equipped with either. The passive, eg. ABS-sensor based, system is called Tyre Monitor (TM) and the full in-tyre/rim pressure system is Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

According to the (European) accessory website you can upgrade your car by adding the TPMS-sensors in all wheels AND activating the TPMS monitor software, including the tyre pressure display, via a software update. In other words the hardware to receive the wireless TPMS sensor signals is already installed.

Unclear is however if a standard car is equipped with TPMS-sensors. The standard specification list doesn’t mention what system is standard used. In Europe Volvo offers complete sets of winter tyres on light alloy rims and it seems they come with the TPMS sensors. I’ve requested my dealer to confirm this.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am also in the market for dedicated (cheaper / steel even if an option) 20" winter wheels and tires for the Northeast & ski country. Great to hear that there is no TPMS sensor required, but i'm wondering what is actually required to set up the winter set. Given the high tech nature of the new XC90, I am almost tempted to go down the route of the OEM rim and just get a second set of the 20" wheels that come with the R-Design, but I don't even want to know what that price tag would look like. The nice thing about the second set of dedicated winter wheels and tires is that they can be swapped quickly and basically double the life of your summer tires. Hope there are some options for a winter wheel package from the dealer, but my dealer has given me no information (despite asking multiple times).

·
Registered
785 Posts
When it comes to Winter tires, tall and skinny is the best. Therefore go with the 19" wheels.

As for the standard all season tires, they are better than a dedicated summer tire but not as good as a Winter tire. Once you drive a car with winter tires, you will never be satisfied with regular (or all season) tires in snow again. All season tires are unique to the American Market. Rest of the world gets dedicated Summer tires as standard.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Package Deal?

When it comes to Winter tires, tall and skinny is the best. Therefore go with the 19" wheels.

As for the standard all season tires, they are better than a dedicated summer tire but not as good as a Winter tire. Once you drive a car with winter tires, you will never be satisfied with regular (or all season) tires in snow again. All season tires are unique to the American Market. Rest of the world gets dedicated Summer tires as standard.
<FOR US OWNERS> Being fairly new to this and not having previous context, do any manufacturers ever offer a package deal or group discount to members interested in "crowdsourcing" (or whatever you want to call it) an order for something like this? Just thinking that there are lots of XC90's being delivered to the Northeast and other cold weather regions where there must be a demand for a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires with TPMS (if that is indeed how all US models are equipped). Given the expense of a) 4 Wheels b) 4 Winter Tires c) 4 TPMS sensors d) + Mounting, I would think there might be a business opportunity and a purchase opportunity. I noticed that many are pleased with Heico wheels. Not sure of other brands that would be available with proper dimensions, off-sets, fitment for the XC90, but please let us know if anyone has any thoughts or insight or finds something that would work in a 19" or 20" wheel. Thank you. :beer:

·
Registered
143 Posts
From experience, if your factory all season was not used through out the summer (about 3k Miles used), the thread wear and malleability of a new tire will get you through the winter. Next winter will be another story as the thread wears and rubber compound hardens.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts