SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I noticed that around 35F a snow flake is displayed on a dash, right next to the temp display. Any significance to it, other than reminding those of us who dont know it already that is is getting cold? :)

I could not find any reference to it in the owner's manual, so I am guessing there is no effect on car's behavior, correct?

TIA.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi,

I noticed that around 35F a snow flake is displayed on a dash, right next to the temp display. Any significance to it, other than reminding those of us who dont know it already that is is getting cold? :)

I could not find any reference to it in the owner's manual, so I am guessing there is no effect on car's behavior, correct?

TIA.
Comes on to warn of possible freezing conditions. Just a warning for the driver.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Basically its warning you of the possibility of Black Ice on the road surface

·
Registered
442 Posts
Some other cars I've owned display that verbally as "possible road ice" or similar verbiage...a common occurrence in the 31-35 degrees F range, as you know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It shows at 35 degrees because bridges can freeze at 35 due to the air flow below the bridge. Putertech is correct about the black ice. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
When the ambient temperature is between 23° and 36 °F (–5° and +2 °C), a snowflake symbol is shown in the display.
That is from the XC90 manual and from a similar thread on the S60 board.

Seems it is done that way so if it is cold (below freezing) and warming up it stays on so you know
that ice might still be on the road even though the air temperature is above freezing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Still wonder why this isn't mentioned in the manual. But then if it was, i wouldn't be asking questions here. :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Well, we can't be certain what each one means. No two are alike, donchaknow :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts