SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The English XC90 T8 manual says that snow chains should not be used on wheels larger than 19 inches.
Is this correct? The default T8 Inscription tire size is 20 inches.
I planned to order volvo chains and use an existing set of spikes-spider quick release chains
I used on my old (2005) XC 90.
I find it hard to believe that I will have to change tires before winter driving in the mountains!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The English XC90 T8 manual says that snow chains should not be used on wheels larger than 19 inches.
I planned to order volvo chains and use an existing set of spikes-spider quick release chains
I find it hard to believe that I will have to change tires before winter driving in the mountains!
Volvo says NO chains, doesn't say nokian, volvo etc. ok, that's why i'm concerned.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why would you want snow chains? Aren't snow tyres enough?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The UK manual does not forbid the use of snow chains on larger wheels. It's only a recommendation. It does say to use them on the front wheels only.

XC90 wheels larger than 19 inches have a larger overall wheel/tire diameter, about 30 inches as against 29 inches for 18 and 19 inch wheels. That presumably reduces the clearance for snow chains. Indeed it may explain why the XC90 has such an unusual variation in its overall wheel/tire diameters, something I've wondered about.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would you want snow chains? Aren't snow tyres enough?
Not in the california Sierras in heavy snowfall. Mandated by police, unless snow tires, which i dont want to use since require complete tire changes each mountain trip.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not in the california Sierras in heavy snowfall. Mandated by police, unless snow tires, which i dont want to use since require complete tire changes each mountain trip.
I see why you need chains for occasional trips. I live in Switzerland and we are obliged to change between winter and summer tyres or leave the car at home when roads are icy in winter (quite often). Those Nokian Hakka look great for snow and ice, but not so great for fuel consumption and noise!

·
Registered
127 Posts
For the chain controls in California, under R2 conditions, you don't actually need "snow tires." All you need is tires with the M+S designation, which most "all-season" tires carry. If you swap out Volvo's summer tires for some all-seasons, you wouldn't need chains for R2 to comply with the law. Of course, you won't have the same traction you would with real snow tires, so if safety is your top concern you should go for snow tires. R3 conditions (which requires chains on all vehicles) rarely happen, and when they do it is usually in all-out blizzard conditions where the safest thing to do is probably get off the road and hunker down.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Ross: Nokian makes tires that work well in snow (and have "M&S" on them) and are tolerable when you are back on the flatlands. I've been running Nokian on my XC90 for 4-6 months/year, for the past few years. CHP has not turned me back when heading to the pass on Hwy 80 to Tahoe. But they are probably noisier, not as good for MPG, and maybe they don't handle as well in the rain, as my non-snow tires.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Another option is to purchase some wheels from etc.. ebay and mount snows on them. It's much less painful than having to swap tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what did you end up with?

I am planning to go to Tahoe and have the same issue with my XC90 T8, the manual says "no chains", but I think it is not appropriate cause the same vehicle in Europe has a different manual, so it might be more regulatory than safety issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts