SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So which one do you prefer and why. If you tried them both I'll love to hear what your experience was.

Thanks

Registered
I currently have the TWM, great stuff! And very easy to do yourself since you only swap the bracket atop the transmissiom in the engine bay.

I've also driven cars with the Snabb. They're comparable.
If I had to really be picky I'd say the snabb is a "touch" smoother in action but that can also be down to the tranny, slave cylinder and cable slack.

The TWM feels a little more mechanical, if you like a solid feeling I'd go with that.
Although I though snabb stopped making their short shifter kit?

Put both together and we're talking seriously short throws...might change gear just looking at it 馃槈

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Registered
Honestly, I think they are both well engineered devices that work on the trans in different ways. The TWM changes the action on top of the trans, while the SNABB physically replaces the metal shifter inside the car.

If I had to say one way or the other, I think the TWM might be a touch less work but neither one of these parts is hard to install.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I got the TWM. I have now a couple thousand miles on it.

LET ME REPEAT THIS: make sure you are using RED THREAD LOCKER on the cable pin. I actually used one that is high temp just to make sure for the summer. I knew about the issue so I used blue thread locker on it but still .... I had a very bad experience with it coming off during stop and go traffic! I had to go and manually shift the transmission (as in going under the hood in the middle of the traffic at commuting time). Then because I did not get in the first gear (just happen to be in 3rd) I had to burn the already worn out clutch to get out of the stop and go traffic and to the nearest place where I could find a screwdriver and a pair of plyers to temporarily mend it so I can get home. Since then the clutch was replaced so all this is in the past.

Now about the driving experience... It is a lot better than the OEM. Yes the shifter position is slightly off from the OEM but who is looking at the shifter when shifting gears? The effort is a little higher but after a while you will forget about it and not even remember how the OEM felt. It does not change how the transmission itself shifts. Mine is harder to shift (always was) and I now replaced clutch twice, cables twice, shifter bushings, shifter arm on top of transmission (the TWM shifter) with no change on how the transmission shifts. The change is in the overall shifting experience and that's what actually matters.

I'm using all 3 weights and no it does not make it feel like OEM, and that is a good thing.

The final verdict: yes, I like this shifter!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts