SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
This weekend I tackled the SNABB intake installation. For me it took 3 hours, going at a careful pace. The instructions that came with the intake were good, but could be better. It was a bit confusing trying to get the orientation of each section of the intake right and get each clamp situated properly. Pictures or diagrams of the orientation would be very helpful and would have saved me a lot of time. As most have mentioned, everything was very tight with very little clearance. The hardest part wasn't getting the pipe on the turbo, it was reassuring myself that it was actually on the turbo inlet and seated properly. I kept readjusting it to get it just right, which, I know now I had it right on the first try.

I went with the black couplers because I personally don't think parts with multiple shades of blue look good in an engine. To each his or her own.

I'd like to share a few things for others who want to do this project. Be patient, and take your time. It is not a rush job. I used many small 7 and 8MM ratchets and a multitude of extensions and bendy accessories to get the clamps on and off. Also keep in mind you can adjust the air box laterally so if the intake is close to the brake lines you can adjust the air box to help center the intake.

Here are my battle scars from the install. It made me look like an emo kid. My calves hurt from reaching into the engine bay. So be sure to take breaks periodically.

The intake is great. It is well made and it does make a difference performance wise, but I'd like to see dyno results before I make a declarative statement about how much it helps. My car FEELS faster, but keep in mind I also reset the ecu.

FWIW, I have the Elevate tune, Svenske DP, Phuzz TCV, R Kelly intake and K&N. My car is uber fast and the sound the turbo makes is killer! A small part of that is related to the SNABB intake.

Overall it is worth it, and Kristian from SNABB gives great customer service.

- Marty

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
HAHA I find this friggin hilarious because I can totally relate I wish I took pics of my swollen arms and legit my calves ached for like 2 days from the extended stress I placed on them hahahhahahahahah Congrats on making it through that aren't you in love with the new intake I AM!!!!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Am I the only one who couldn't plug the tubing back onto the PTC on the coupling to the turbo after installing this? I'm not quite done with install, so I can't say it's a "win" yet...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
you think your arms and calves hurt now? install the viva cbv then your arms and calves hurt. but good job in the install it still is a bit of a PITA

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Would it be easier to install the turbo end from underneath the car?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thanks for posting the instructions, well done.

I had to pre-fit the PTC in the elbow and turn it 180 degrees from stock position to get it to fit in next to the various obstructions...

My car felt faster after too...the most noticeable improvement overall was increased throttle precision and sensitivity...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Would it be easier to install the turbo end from underneath the car?
I vote no on this one.. but i dont have much of an issue with the space by the turbo.

·
Registered
183 Posts
so, to be clear, the 8% flow improvement over the stock pipe is noticeable? a 50% improvement i could see, but $160 and 3 hours of pain for 8% seems kinda disproportionate. please tell me i'm wrong b/c i want this to be my next mod.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
so, to be clear, the 8% flow improvement over the stock pipe is noticeable? a 50% improvement i could see, but $160 and 3 hours of pain for 8% seems kinda disproportionate. please tell me i'm wrong b/c i want this to be my next mod.
This mod when Coupled with others creates a dynamic increase in performance. The Snabb pipe on stock airbox, filter, etc. you won't see much but toss in a 2xCAI R Kelly Mod...and BABAM!!! Total Rape.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
This mod when Coupled with others creates a dynamic increase in performance. The Snabb pipe on stock airbox, filter, etc. you won't see much but toss in a 2xCAI R Kelly Mod...and BABAM!!! Total Rape.
Are you running R Kelly mod through both fog light openings?

Does this make a huge difference over just single?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Also, I was told that if you are installing the Snabb pipe, you may as well change out your lines AND install the Viva CBV since you are already 100% in there with everything taken apart to access both.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Also, I was told that if you are installing the Snabb pipe, you may as well change out your lines AND install the Viva CBV since you are already 100% in there with everything taken apart to access both.
i would say that the cbv is right there when you take everything apart for the snabb intake pipe but the cbv is a much more involved job. much more involved.

·
Registered
710 Posts
but if you are going to do the snabb pipe i would definately recommend doing the CBV, set some time aside and tackle it all at once.. because once your in there and beat your hands up, your going to dread getting back in there at a later time.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Are you running R Kelly mod through both fog light openings?

Does this make a huge difference over just single?
You will see a difference with ANY Cold Air Induction system however the only true setup is as listed beloww:

The Ideal setup is a closed airbox, Snabb Intake, 1x R Kelly CAI

Only known setup to provide a positive pressure intake!

But if you would like to toss in 2x why the hell not! More air for the RRRRRR

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You will see a difference with ANY Cold Air Induction system however the only true setup is as listed beloww:

The Ideal setup is a closed airbox, Snabb Intake, 1x R Kelly CAI

Only known setup to provide a positive pressure intake!

But if you would like to toss in 2x why the hell not! More air for the RRRRRR
Guess im already running the "Ideal Setup" then.

But again, if one is ideal, why 2 then?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
i would say that the cbv is right there when you take everything apart for the snabb intake pipe but the cbv is a much more involved job. much more involved.
If you're going to do the CBV and intake, definitely do them at the same time. Depending on your wrenching abilities, you might want to spread the job over two days just to give yourself a little extra time to negotiate the physical (and mental) roadblocks. FWIW.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you're going to do the CBV and intake, definitely do them at the same time. Depending on your wrenching abilities, you might want to spread the job over two days just to give yourself a little extra time to negotiate the physical (and mental) roadblocks. FWIW.
yes you are right the cbv just is a real test of your patience at least it was for me its a tough slow job

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.