SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Did a search on this topic but couldn't find the information that I am looking for so.....

I am considering purchasing the Snabb High Flow Intake Kit and probably the 3" Turbo Intake Pipe kit as well for my 2011 with the T6. For those of you that have installed either of these kits how do you like them? Any complications installing the turbo intake pipe kit or is it an easy DIY project?

Any experience with other brands such as Elevate?

Thanks in advance! Pete

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thank you for this emgrock1. Interesting read!
I know it's not exactly what you asked but it's the best I can give you. I don't have any experience with the aftermarket stuff, only my custom intake.

I will say if you're after performance an intake should be low on your list. If you want noise, an intake will add some. For the $$, probably not worth it IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Very interesting read indeed.

I have also been looking at the Snabb upgrade. Questioning whether it's really worth it. The mod would approach $1000.00 with the new pipe and engine cover.

Doesn't this kind of mod affect the air to fuel ratio mixture? It seems like it would dump more fuel in to compensate for the additional air. Which means a hotter burn/bigger bang, but then what do we do with the additional heat created? The racers use bigger radiators and bigger exhausts. Seems like this could lead to other problems.

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Very interesting read indeed.

I have also been looking at the Snabb upgrade. Questioning whether it's really worth it. The mod would approach $1000.00 with the new pipe and engine cover.

Doesn't this kind of mod affect the air to fuel ratio mixture? It seems like it would dump more fuel in to compensate for the additional air. Which means a hotter burn/bigger bang, but then what do we do with the additional heat created? The racers use bigger radiators and bigger exhausts. Seems like this could lead to other problems.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Yeah. An intake isn't going to make a noticable difference in performance on it's own. It seems to be the most common upgrade and admittedly was my first "upgrade". In my case, I designed my own intake and was able to make it for under $150 - for the purpose of turning up the volume of the engine.

An intake in general like you said, will allow for the engine to breathe more easily. On a turbocharged engine, it will theoretically decrease the pressure drop between the air filter and compressor wheel - in turn allowing the turbo to do less work.

Now, this really only makes a difference on REALLY high horse power applications. So, if your car had all the supporting modifications like an intercooler, tune, turboback exhaust, etc.. you would likely find an intake will increase response.

So, is $1000 worth it for an intake? Absolutely not. Is $200 worth it? I suppose it depends. If you expect it to be a performance upgrade you will be disappointed. If the sound is all your after, you'll likely be happy - as I am.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! While I wouldn't mind a little more intake sound I was hoping for at least a bit of a performance upgrade as well. I too am having a hard time convincing myself that the $$$ is worth it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have just the snaab filter set, not the pipe set. I bought it on the used market, but I do not think there is a performance increase. But some cool turbo sounds do come with using it. I'm sure there will be more noise if you purchased the piping as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks bhom920 and BellevilleV70 for your thoughts on the subject. I have concluded that I am going to pass on these products. There just doesn't seem to be the performance increase that I was hoping for especially for the cost.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You may find the K&N drop in filter to be worth it, i did. The car did in fact have less restriction sucking in air since the foam padding is not part of the K&N filter make up like the OEM is. There is torque increase and sound increase for sure. Try it out. It only costs 50 bucks. On top of that, your engine bay wont get as filthy with the air intake remaining "closed" as compared to the snabb where the air freely flows into the compartment.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Here’s my thing with mods on these cars: Is it “worth it”? No, not really. But neither is a $600 intercooler, a $1200 downpipe, or all the other mods that make virtually no power on their own on this particular platform. HOWEVER while they don’t do much individually, if you want to improve the performance of this car you have to use a holistic approach, where everything works together to make a minor but noticeable improvement in your performance when you have all the bolt-ons and a tune that can do its best work with those bolt-ons.

It’s not a cost effective car to modify, but if you want to improve its performance, consider adding modifications even if they don’t feel like a good value individually. They all help make the car a little faster and drive a little better in the aggregate.

A tune of some sort will make a bigger difference than any of the bolt-ons, but you’ll need bolt-ons for a tune to work as effectively as possible. I’m not speaking in general terms but speaking specifically to this platform and how it responds to mods. Other cars have shown themselves to be more or less responsive to specific upgrades, so disregard what you’ve heard elsewhere about what does or doesn’t work.

·
Registered
498 Posts
best upgrade to buy if you want more performance, is a TDI box from viva. I've been very happy with mine and I know others that also have been very happy with theirs.

·
Registered
775 Posts
best upgrade to buy if you want more performance, is a TDI box from viva. I've been very happy with mine and I know others that also have been very happy with theirs.
Indeed.

I love the extra noise an intake gives you though.... Makes me giggle every time I get into boost.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Indeed.

I love the extra noise an intake gives you though.... Makes me giggle every time I get into boost.

I agree with both of these points and wanted to add that the TDI box also makes for more turbo noise with or without the intake. More boost equals more fun induction noise and more air to purge when you let off the gas. You’ll hear a lot more of that with an intake and you’ll hear more sound in general with the TDI box. Plus the TDI box will make your car feel noticeably stronger, and the intake is likely to be more beneficial with the TDI box than it would be with the stock tune or weak Polestar tune.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You may find the K&N drop in filter to be worth it, i did. The car did in fact have less restriction sucking in air since the foam padding is not part of the K&N filter make up like the OEM is. There is torque increase and sound increase for sure. Try it out. It only costs 50 bucks. On top of that, your engine bay wont get as filthy with the air intake remaining "closed" as compared to the snabb where the air freely flows into the compartment.
I am a little hesitant to get a K&N filter just based on my past research that I did on a previous vehicle (Ford turbo diesel truck). There were claims of dusted turbo blades using these filters, but I suppose this easily could have been the result of improperly oiled filters. I do like the price versus the Snabb! Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This does sound like a good way to go. I will definitely look into this option. Thank you for chiming in.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
This does sound like a good way to go. I will definitely look into this option. Thank you for chiming in.
Plus it’s easily removable if for some reason you decide you don’t like it, or want to cover your tracks when the car goes in for service. It’s a lot harder to reverse most other hardware mods or an actual ECU tune.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Plus it’s easily removable if for some reason you decide you don’t like it, or want to cover your tracks when the car goes in for service. It’s a lot harder to reverse most other hardware mods or an actual ECU tune.
I like what I am hearing about this unit and it sounds like money well spent. Thank you for the information! I will most likely move in this direction.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to all of you that took the time to reply- I really appreciate the knowledge and experience found on this forum.

I am most interested in purchasing the TDI box but I have one concern that perhaps can be put to rest. The highest octane gas that I can get in my state is 90 and Viva doesn't have a map setting for 90, 91 is the lowest that they have. I emailed Viva and asked them if 90 octane could be used with their 91 map setting and got a response saying that the 90 octane gas "will most likely be okay" with their 91 setting.

I am hesitant to make the purchase not knowing for sure if using a lower octane gas will truly be "okay", especially in the long run; I plan on keeping this vehicle for at least another 8-10 years.

So for those that have a TDI box do you have any experience using a slightly lower octane rating? If so, did this present any issues that I should be aware of?

I know that there are octane boosters available that I could add at each fill up but I really am not sure that I want to go this route.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts