SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving the car, open the door and it smells like pure gas. The gas cap light has been coming on even when it was "clicked" tight. While driving the check engine light is now on for good. Wife checked the gas cap and just pulled it off after I know I "clicked" it tight. :confused: What the hell is going on? Took the car to Autozone to run the code and they said it was a minor CEL and was for gas leak or gas cap???????????????????????????

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
it can be a few things, your fuel pump going bad, etc....remove the rear seat and you will see if it has gas leak around.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I have 2 volvos and i love it, check if your car has a recall for a fuel pump. My s60 has 140k miles and no problems.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yeah, we used to have a fuel smell in ours, turned out that it was a recall on the fuel pump. The stealership replaced the component and it's been smooth sailing since. I would recommend checking for recalls as it is possible that it could be the same thing. I've got 120,000 miles on mine and still running strong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fuel pump. You can always call the dealership give them the vin number and see if the recall has been done. They had lots and lots of fuel pumps leaking due to warm weather. Im out here in phoenix and I used to do one or two a week. Also a leaking fuel pump can cause check engine light to set for evap leak. The new pump is updated and should not give you any problems.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Wow...owned it for 2 months and car has 67,000 miles. Makes me second guess owning a Volvo.
Yeah time to sell and get a car that doesn't ever break. Let me know when you find such a car! ;)

Had to go there, but seriously. 99% it's fuel pump. Go to the dealer like everyone's saying it's a freebie fix, in and out in a few hours.

·
Registered
252 Posts
is this recall still good if my 2004 V70 has 185K miles on it?? i am starting to smell fuel, not sure were its coming from yet..

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
is this recall still good if my 2004 V70 has 185K miles on it?? i am starting to smell fuel, not sure were its coming from yet..
Umm, it's a recall.
had mine done at 167k.

·
Registered
65 Posts
After driving the car, open the door and it smells like pure gas. The gas cap light has been coming on even when it was "clicked" tight. While driving the check engine light is now on for good. Wife checked the gas cap and just pulled it off after I know I "clicked" it tight. :confused: What the hell is going on? Took the car to Autozone to run the code and they said it was a minor CEL and was for gas leak or gas cap???????????????????????????
First, what is the year? The condition of the gas cap seal? A faulty gas cap seal can produce a CEL.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
My 04 had the fuel pump recall. But just as likely is the cap. Perhaps the PO or some flunky on the lot you bought it from jacked the cap filling it up one day. You never know. Just because it clicks doesn't mean it seals properly. My CRX failed emissions - gas cap - but the low-tech cap looked perfect (only 165K miles on it...LIKE NEW!) Went to O'Reillys and $5 later, all good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts