SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched some threads about WOT causing a smell in the cabin and am not clear on if this is a common issue with R's

I have a bone stock 2005 V70R M66 and notice whenever I get deep into throttle (not necessary WOT, but really deep into it) there is a brief smell in the cabin. It dissipates in a matter of seconds after you return to normal throttle.

Is this burning oil? I noticed over about 2,000 miles my car needed almost 1 quart of oil. It has ~87k miles and seems to be in good running order. Just had the 90k mile service at a Volvo dealer and they said the car was tip top.

Just curious if this is usual or a potential concern. It never happens in normal driving. Only when being very spirited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check under the car, the underside could be covered in oil from a small leak and getting hot enough to burn off when at wot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How does it smell? Is it a sweet sent, fuel-like, or similar to burnt oil?

If no issues elsewhere, I'd check the heater core just in case since it has happened to quite a few here on ss. Check if your carpet is wet and see behind it on the right of the driver's side.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does it smell? Is it a sweet sent, fuel-like, or similar to burnt oil?

If no issues elsewhere, I'd check the heater core just in case since it has happened to quite a few here on ss. Check if your carpet is wet and see behind it on the right of the driver's side.
I would say brunt oil smell. Definitely not heater core. Carpet is dry.

Is it normal for these cars to smell of burnt oil when getting into the throttle?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you replaced your oil filler cap seal lately? That solved it for me (the IPD HD one).

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My car has always sort of smelled of oil after hard driving.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Could be leaking PCV or cap allowing you to smell blow by.

Could be oil seepage on the exhaust system getting burned off.

Could be leaking exhaust gaskets giving you a sniff of WOT gasses too.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
I would not say its normal, even when my R was beat at 160K miles it still never smelled like burning oil.

It means something is wrong, but it may be something you would rather live with then pay to fix, lol.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would not say its normal, even when my R was beat at 160K miles it still never smelled like burning oil.

It means something is wrong, but it may be something you would rather live with then pay to fix, lol.
If I had an oil leak I would have oil dropping on the ground no? There is not a single spot on the driveway and the car typically sits several days between drives.

I also just had to serviced and they didn't find any issues. Hence my lack of real concern at this point.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you replaced your oil filler cap seal lately? That solved it for me (the IPD HD one).
I'll investigate this. Any other signs would show this seal is failing? I don't have any oil around the cap on top of motor.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check under the car, the underside could be covered in oil from a small leak and getting hot enough to burn off when at wot.
The underside is not covered in oil and I don't have any oil drops on driveway where I park.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Could be leaking PCV or cap allowing you to smell blow by.

Could be oil seepage on the exhaust system getting burned off.

Could be leaking exhaust gaskets giving you a sniff of WOT gasses too.
If it is burnt oil smell this is indeed the list to consider. Blow by is certainly common on our turbos, but like Stealthy I have not experienced a burning oil smell.

Does this happen only when driving or even when you hit the throttle standing still?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
have you changed any of the seals or gaskets on the motor recently? i know when my mom had a seal on her xc90 done and i gave it some gas it smelt kinda funky. smells like a new car when you floor it and you're not supposed to. i think youre fine in my opinion. some cars smell after hard acceleration. i was behind someone who gassed it the other day and it made my car smell of a smell. i know what smell youre talking about but there's really no description of it

·
Registered
364 Posts
I experience this problem also.
When i seafoam, i see a puff come from the turbo area. Either a exhaust manifold gasket or turbo gasket most likely for me. Next seafoam i plan to find out for sure.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I experience this problem also.
When i seafoam, i see a puff come from the turbo area. Either a exhaust manifold gasket or turbo gasket most likely for me. Next seafoam i plan to find out for sure. I have an obx downpipe to further my suspicions.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Mine does that, I was told its my CAT Convertor when I was dyno'ing the car. It smells like a bad stench but its not unbearable, it just a sharp smell.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like a clogged/leaking PCV issue to me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like a clogged/leaking PCV issue to me.
Can you pass the smoke/glove test with a clogged PCV?

No smoke out of dipstick opening and glove on oil cap opening shows vacuum. I thought these were the tests to check on a clogged PCV?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
if the glove inflates your system is clogged. if your engine tries to suck the glove in, your pcv is fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts